5.0 out of 5 stars A sheer quality battery charger
I'm really impressed with this Anker external battery. Great delivery, packaging and high quality product which is just brilliant.

Published 7 months ago by Tim129

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good but...
Very good! But should come with its own charger... The mobile phone chargers arent good to recharge it... Most of them are lower then 2000mA output.... Makes recharging last forever...
Published 5 months ago by Rodolfo

5.0 out of 5 stars A sheer quality battery charger, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: AnkerŪ 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mAh (4A Output) Triple Port Portable Power Bank Pack External Battery USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3, Galaxy Tab 4 3 2, Pro, Nexus 4 5 7 10, HTC One, One 2 (M8), PS Vita, Gopro, most other Phones and Tablets (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I absolutely love the packaging – it’s simple clean lines and appearance just shout “quality”. And there's certainly no disappointment when lifting out the charger with it's soft rubbery surface and curved shape. It's also a good size and not too heavy! So I'd be happy to have it in a pocket if I felt I might need it with me, with my Note II in my other pocket. The charger is about the same width as the Note II, but not as long and slightly thinker.

It so simple to use too. Just a slight shake to wake it and a circular segmented light shows the level of charge, which was near fully charged on arrival. So it didn't take long to complete it's charge using a micro USB cable I already had plugged in for my phone. It comes with a micro USD lead, but not with it's own USB wall plug - which was fine by me as I have plenty anyway.

There are 3 USB sockets, one of which is intelligent so it will charge any device as quick as possible. So plenty of flexibility.

I've not done any charging time tests, but the first time I charged my Nexus 7 tablet was plenty quick enough for me. It probably used up roughly 10 to 15% to fully charge the Nexus 7 from about 30% to fully charged. So the charger still has loads of charge left.

I fully recommend others to buy this product, or other Anker charger, if you want a good quality product. They have a good range of chargers with different capacities depending on your requirements.

I will definitely be looking at Anker products in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars High capacity but the silly light is annoying, 18 Feb 2014
This external battery unit is solidly built an finished in an attractive non-slip rubber finish. Whilst it *will* re-charge from a standard phone charger it takes *many* hours; a hefty charger is necessary to bring this down to a reasonable period.

On the plus side (and it's a big plus) like most of the Anker products I've bought this unit really does deliver the goods, refilling my Samsung tablet once and S4 phone twice on one charge.

Dislikes? Well the short supplied lead would charge other appliances but for some reason couldn't be used to charge the unit itself. The battery meter on top of the unit seems to light up at random with the slightest vibration even not plugged into anything. I'd prefer to see more conventional display of capacity.

Anker seem very responsive to comments and suggestions and genuinely interested in making sure their customers are happy with their purchase. This is a very positive trait ensures that I favour their products precedence when selecting new tech.
(I've no connection with the company)

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial reaction – positive, 13 Jan 2014
Only had this for 48 hours but immediate response is very positive. It appears robust and well designed. It arrived about 80% charged and from that was able to charge both my iPhone 4 and my iPad, although neither were completely discharged to start with. The device doesn’t really need a shake to fire up, just moving it slightly lights up the LED, but the instructions say that this does not use any appreciable charge, so no worries.

My phone charged quickly, however the iPad took longer. I bought this so that if my iPad ran down on a long journey I could recharge it on the go. However, if you continue to use it with the device connected, the iPad charge level does not increase – but it doesn't seem to decrease either, so perhaps the answer is not to allow the iPad’s charge to get too low before connecting the Astro3.

I imagine a scenario of charging the device overnight ready for the following day’s use. This is feasible using a charging device with sufficient power (9 hours is the estimate). The LED pulses during recharging, and can light up a darkened room quite impressively, so if the LED bothers you in a hotel room at night, the answer would seem to be to turn the device face down.

I am still getting my head round the difference between the three USB sockets. I used the smart socket for both the phone and the iPad, with perfect results. I guess when charging both at the same time I will use the smart socket for the iPad and one of the others for my phone.

The package contained the Astro3, instructions, a nice drawstring travel pouch and a natty little dual purpose cable. The cable is used both for recharging the iPad / iPhone and then, by removing the micro USB to 30pin adapter, to charge the Astro3 from the mains charger. The adapter is quite small so care needs to be taken not to lose it. The cable is quite short, which is good from the point of view that it doesn’t take up much space in the travel pouch, on the other hand when plugged into a mains charger, it doesn’t stretch very far at all. Probably best to consider buying supplementary cables, particularly if planning to charge two things from the Astro3 at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant quality., 5 Jan 2014
Plamen (Sofia, Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This is simply amazing quality. The battery grip, the shape, the pouch everything is made as it should be. Even the cable provided screams 'quality' when you look at it. I'm really impressed and recommend this product. Haven't heard of Anker before, now it is my one of favorite brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best piece of kit I've bought in a long time, 1 Feb 2014
I'm genuinely glad I invested in one of these battery power packs. The charge this thing can hold just keeps going and going. Can constantly keep 2 mobiles charged for over a week (7-8days) before it gives out. And will recharge itself once plugged in, in less than 24 hours. Definitely going to be useful for keeping cameras, tablets and phones charged on holiday!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product - at such great value, 18 Jan 2014
Comes in a great box with a little pouch to keep it in as well so it doesn't get damaged. The battery life is brilliant I have already charged my phone up twice and still around 3/4 left.

Came with 3/4 charge which was excellent.

Took around 12-13hrs to charge fully with a 1.2A charger which is about right according to the instruction manual.

Takes around 1.5hrs to charge my Nexus 5 from 3-4% to 100%!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot recommend this item enough! Essential, 16 Jan 2014
Ben (PONTEFRACT, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the 3rd unit I have bought now, the first was stoeln by a friend (I kinda let them keep it as they loved it so much) the second I still have and use almost daily and this third one I intend to take with the other on longer trips away.

Pros: Huge battery charges my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) from flat to full around 4-5 times on a full charge of the power pack. It charges as fast if not faster than a standard UK Power outlet, and alot faster than the in car charging system I have so I often favour this over the car charger when I'm driving. You can charge upto 3 devices at any one time which has proven very useful when I have been out with friends we just all connect up and throw the phones in a bag while they all charge up. Granted charging multiple devices does share the charging speed thus slowing it down but it is still very quick and effective at charging the devices. I have used with various phones and tablets of various brands including apple product and never had a problem with any of them. Design:- The product is extremely well designed, a little heavy but again to be expected given its capacity. Its about the size of a small 2.5" external portable hard drive perhaps a little bigger but certainly small enough to carry around with the rest of your gear in a backpack. It could even be considered pocket sized if you have large pockets.

Cons: The charge time of the battery pack is very very very long, I would estimate 16-24 hours to charge the pack from flat to full however I have found that this seems to vary but it ideally wants to be charged at least a day before any long trips. This is kind of to be expected however given that the device has a 12000mAh battery and is therefore about 5 times the capacity of most high end smartphones. The lack of a power button, this was originally a concern of mine as the pack is shaken to activate charge or to check the power level. I first thought this might prove annoying or even affect the battery life of the pack, however I have since read that 100,000 shake activations consumes less than 1% of the battery of the pack. This elevates any concerns about it draining whilst bobbing around in your bag and also I have actually found no issue in activating the device to charge or to check remaining power levels.

Overall: Brilliant, dont even hesitate, just buy one now, infact if you travel alot or often find your battery runs out then buy a couple, you will not be disappointed. I honestly dont know how I have lived without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 4 Jan 2014
Not sure how I ever lived without this! It charges my smartphone (Galaxy S4) incredibly quickly and without any fuss. The build quality and design is excellent - the plastics are nice to the touch and the "status" ring of LEDs really clearly show how much charge is left. The travel pouch is a nice touch because I know the device won't get scratched while knocking around in my bag. It's so good I'm going to purchase another one for my mum (a self confessed technophobe) to use! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good battery pack!, 18 Nov 2013
A very powerful batter pack and I love the design.

The only draw back is that the shake and activate function is too sensitive. Its more like touch and activate ;-)

But I love the touch and feel and the power it holds. My iPad3 got around 83% charge compared to advertised 80%. So I should say I'm pleased.

I took off one star just because of the extra sensitiveness of the main function. Else its a 5* product

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected and more, 8 Aug 2014
There are a lot of reviews around for these already, and I agree with all the positive ones but most of them are written within a few enthusiastic days of receipt. I've been using this for a couple of months now, and the battery has outperformed all expectations. There have been a few days when I've offered (with secret reluctance) to charge someone's phone for them on a morning train journey, only to be reminded that my good deed only cost me one 'bar' on the dial. If you are out and about for days on end then this will save you over and over again!

I mostly use it as a top-up charger and it does that with ease - I go weeks between charging the battery back up with multiple cameras, phones and ipods going into it all the time. It has three different cables plugged in at all times in the bottom of my bag, and nothing ever runs flat.

It isn't an ideal comparison because I personally don't think this is the area where these batteries are most useful, BUT: A fully charged battery will take an unresponsive iPad up to over 80%. Bearing in mind how enormous an iPad battery is (11,560 mAh) that is pretty efficient for battery-to-battery charging.

NB, it does take a while to charge, definitely an overnight job.