4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice
Very good product.
3 good regulable silent fans.
Adaptable to every laptop.
USB feeds the eletrical power to the fans.
It isn't very good to take on top of your duvet bed and sheets because it doesn't have a bottom and the duvet blocks the air flow from the fans.
Although I've fixed that problem using a bed tray under it.

I strongly...
Published 5 months ago by Ludovico Goncalves

2.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
This is a true 5-star item. It's neat, lightweight, and above all supremely sensible.

Published 4 months ago by jenchris40

2.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Cooler Master NotePal U2 Plus - (Cooler for Upto 17-inch Laptop) - Silver (Personal Computers)

I've tried a few different laptop coolers and this is definitely an area where economy doesn't pay, and even more expensive models fail. My previous one was one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Q8X3L2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and although similarly priced, it seriously let me down, dying after just 6 months of careful use.

So what do I like about it? Like most laptops I've ever played with, mine doesn't get hot bang in the middle - it gets hot to one side at the front. So that's where I need my cooling fan. Not a huge one in the centre hoping to diffuse enough cool air, but an efficient one under where the lappy gets hottest. The clip system enables me to do place the fans exactly where I need to. It's quiet enough, in fact far quieter than when my lappy fan is going full pelt. It's so efficient though that I barely notice the gentle hum in a silent room.

Another thing I love is the metal mesh design. There's no fabric, foam or other padding to counter the cooling effect of the fans - just metal. Clean, light, and attractive. My laptop doesn't slide anywhere, it's gripped very firmly in place by the rubber grips.

If there was the tiniest niggle ever, it would be that the feet at the back could be a tiny bit more comfortable on my lap. But that's not even worth docking the tip of a point of a star for.

As for the USB plug - it's true, it's a bit clumsy. That's because there is a USB replacement port on the end of it, which means that the lead comes in at the side, instead of the end. Even this isn't worth docking a pixel for - I've used a Belkin travel hub with 4 extra USB ports for some time now, and that solves any potential problem.

As a storage unit, the principle is very simple - it comes with a wide band of elastic to hold the laptop in place when travelling. Personally, I probably wouldn't use this much; however it is extremely handy to be able to slot the lappy inside the cooler when it's in a bag. Extra protection, space saving, and all that. And as for having to remove the fans - they simply clip to the opposite surface when the laptop is stowed inside. Having said that, the only time I'd use it to carry the laptop would be when I'm using a bag anyway, so I'd probably just drop them in - no point adding extra wear and tear to the clippy whatsits.

Finally, some reviewers have bemoaned the lack of an ordinary power source. My reply is simple - it's for use with a lappy. Keeping things portable is fine by me.

UPDATE:

Ok so I've knocked 3 stars off after a month and a bit of use.

Firstly, the fans are very fragile. One of them started making a noise because the case has warped. This happened when I used the Notepal as a carry case for my laptop, and clipped the fans to the reverse of the frame. They're just not robust enough. The wiring is already unsheathing where it enters the fan case, and the sheath is splitting. Please bear in mind this is only with minimal moving / rearranging - once I located the hotspots on my lappy, I clipped the fans in place and left them. So I'm not impressed with the build qualities of the fans, nor the fact that additional or replacement fans seem impossible to come by.

Secondly, I have bruises where the laptop rests on my knees. This is because the back of the Notepal rests on a U-shaped bar, at the end of which are rubber feet. One foot hasn't budged, the other is constantly slipping off. But the bar is fairly narrow and supports all the weight of the lappy, hence the bruising.

These are really simple design flaws that let this wonderful idea down.

Lovely idea, poor execution.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not well designed, and not for smaller laptops, 15 April 2014
The product description clearly states - 'This system allows every notebook, up to 17″' - however this is not the case. I use a 13" laptop which, sadly, does not fit this product at all.

Firstly the gripping material, which holds your laptop in position, is spaced at the back corners and the front - my laptop reaches neither of the back corners, so that grip is useless, and the front grip is so thin that my laptop simply slides over it. Therefore a small laptop simply slides off the front of this cooler.

Secondly, the feature - 'transforms Into a Laptop Carry Case' - which I
thought was a great idea, is also useless, as a small laptop cannot be held under the cooler, as it simply falls between the two U shaped feet which are spaced too far apart for a 13". Additionally, when you use this case as a 'Laptop Carry Case', as described, you must remove the fans, meaning you have two fans and cables either lose in your bag (they're thin plastic and so will probably get damaged very quickly) or you leave the fans at home. Not very well designed.

In addition, the USB adaptor, which allows you to plug in an additional USB, is a nice feature, but sadly, again, poorly executed. The adaptor is extremely long (twice as long as a standard USB plug), which means it is susceptible to being knocked - which, if not careful, means you could end up with a damaged USB port very easily.

Finally, the 'lightweight aluminum material', which I purchased in Black, is very easily scratched. Within a few seconds of my laptop being placed on the cooler (and sliding around, due to the reasons mentioned above), I removed my laptop only to see where my laptop's "feet" had been, the black colouring of the aluminium had scratched off.

However, on the positive side - when I can get my laptop to stay in place (which involves strapping it down), this cooler does help reduce heat. I use my laptop in bed every now and again, and this works great at keeping the laptop elevated, allowing air to flow.

In conclusion, this had the promise of being a great cooling pad, but sadly I am left disappointed by almost all of the features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 18 Mar 2014
Ludovico Goncalves "LJoker" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Very good product.
3 good regulable silent fans.
Adaptable to every laptop.
USB feeds the eletrical power to the fans.
Although I've fixed that problem using a bed tray under it.

I strongly advice buying this product if you want to cooldown your laptop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but loud, 3 Nov 2013
Michael Lee - See all my reviews
Update: Figured out why it was rattling. The fan was in contact with the casing so I had to unscrew the mesh lid and put some blutack inbetween to stop it. Fans are still a little noisy though.

---
Using it for my 13inch laptop. The fan on my laptop no longer makes much noise but the fans on this product are not that quiet themselves. Plus, the fans rattle alot when you lift the stand so if you like to use this to have on your lap then its bothersome.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Jun 2014
Very noisy in operation, says it will fit a 17 inch laptop but really doesn't, more like 15/16 inch. Probably okay for gaming where sound is on but I bought it for cooling my laptop which runs hot because of a graphics heavy CAD programme, not great as it does intrude when working.
Extra USB ports not great as they "cut out" intermittently.
Having said that it does help with the cooling and helps my machine keep cooler.
My advice is to buy a stand with moveable fans or duel fans. and is bigger than you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price, 5 Aug 2014
It has been hot lately, and the poor old laptop was suffering. Had a couple of occasions when it actually shut down because it got too hot. I installed a simple temperature monitor. No idea how accurate the actual numbers are, but the monitor serves as a good comparison. Before using the cooler the five temperatures being monitored averaged about 55 C with no programs running and the laptop just sitting there doing nothing. With the cooler the average is now about 40 C under the same conditions. Even if the numbers aren't accurate that is still well over 20% reduction in temperature. Before the cooler was fitted the temperature regularly exceeded 103 C under load (editing pictures etc) and the main laptop fan would work very hard for 30/60 seconds at a time keeping it under control. With the cooler fitted the temperature still gets to 100 C under the same conditions, but so far never above 100 C and even then only for a second and the main laptop fan rarely kicks in. Even when the main laptop fan does kick in it's only for 5 or 6 seconds. I am only using this on a desk, so can't comment on comfort if placed on your knees, Looking at it I really don't think it would be comfortable. So it works well, but probably only if the laptop is on a desk all the time and doesn't get moved much.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappoiting, 13 Mar 2014
I ordered 2 of this for my brother and myself. They were both ok at the beginning, I quite like the fact that it is possible to adjust the position of the fan. However, after only 1 month, they both started to be really noisy while working. So now, they are both useless for me as I cant stand the loud noise from them.

So disappointing that I have wasted my money for 2 of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what you'd expect, 2 April 2014
This was bought to replace a smaller version as my laptop is 17" and was drooping over the edge of the previous one. The fans work well and are only noisy if turned up to absolute maximum. The rubber grips on the tray generally stop the laptop from sliding about and it's a nice way of allowing air to circulate around the underside of the computer. Doesn't completely prevent the laptop from heating up with prolonged use but it's certainly a big help.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING 5/5, 8 Aug 2014
loving this, worth every penny, cools down my old dell instantly, looks great in black - blends in well making it not noticeable.

Only negative about this it can drain your battery quickly, and while having this on and trying to charge your battery takes alot longer.

But the product is great, fans are moveable to where you want it

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Brilliant, keeps my laptop really cool. Arrived very quickly.