TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 November 2013
If you're looking for an outdoor spotlight, and can't decide between solar powered or batteries, you should certainly consider these. They provide a wide angle floodlight that you could read by at around 50 ft. The pictures of their power are pretty accurate.

Each takes four 'D' cells, so are a bit bigger than you'd think, but certainly no bigger than the common LED spotlights and solar cells. This twin LED type don't have any switches for timing or power output - or even an on/off switch. That's probably a good thing though, as there's less to go wrong, especially for something left outdoors and probably high up.

The spotlight comes in two main parts. The lights/battery compartment, and the main housing/bracket. Just rotate the front light unit by around 10 degrees and remove from the housing to replace batteries (a bit like an SLR lens hood attaches). This is really easy, especially if you're reaching for lights fixed high up.

The mounting bracket is articulated, and has a knob to tighten up at the correct angle. Three screw holes are available, and screws/rawplugs are provided.

The I.R. sensor is quite sensitive, and will detect you from quite a way off, and at a wide angle too. Certainly a wider angle than the standard halogen I.R. spotlights. The good thing is, that the 20 second delay doesn't kick in until movement is no longer detected, and these are good at detecting even slight movement.

I'm using these to light up dark stables and by field gates. In pitch black countryside they really do provide a lot of light, rarely turn off if you're in their field of view and appear to be quite efficient (The cheapo 39p for 2 batteries I found in the back of a cupboard that are easily 5 years old have been going strong for a few weeks, with no sign of dimming).

Not a cheap option, but certainly an effective one.

EDIT : When the batteries finally run down it seems the sensor is affected before the light output. The unit will keep triggering on and off at random times, although the light output is still really bright. Changing the batteries keeps it all working again. This is probably better as an indication you need to change the batteries than it just stop working. Just don't think you've got a faulty unit!
0Comment79 of 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought the Mr Beams MB390 a at lightning deal price. Due to the fact that it did not look so good on the white facade of my house I mounted it in my garden, and after 7 months I am still running on the original batteries!! The powerful bright light the MB390 emits is really surprising.

The durable, high quality materials used really exceeded my expectations. I was also surprised by the bulk of this light! Yet it has to house 4 D Cell batteries.

Luckily I found the identical white version of this product at lightning deal price

Pros:
- Top notch build quality
- Very bright light thanks to the new LEDs which are more powerful with no impact on battery life.
- Wireless. Can use rechargeable D cell batteries (which I highly recommend)
- Battery life is exceptional. ( Yet you will want to place the unit in an easily accessible location). If mounted on a facade to light up doorway, some testing is required as to get the correct angle. You would want to avoid unnecessary triggering caused by passers by.
- Truly weatherproof design. We have had torrential rain, and the unit still functions perfectly.
- Very easy to install.
- Deterrent for would be thieves. And I rate this as a key selling factor.
- Remains functional in the unlikely event of power outage.

Cons:
- Wireless option might not appeal to all.

Bottom line: I really like Mr Beams lights as they are really the best on the market. I highly recommend the MB390 for those looking for a wireless, effective solution.
review image review image review image review image
0Comment70 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2013
Only received this today after buying for a good price on one of Amazon's Lightning Deals, and I've already decided that I really like it.

Only 4 stars for now, because battery life is unknown, but I will update later.

Unlike some of the other models there is no adjustment possible, either to brightness or length of time the light will stay on ... personally I think this is a good thing since it keeps things simple. There is no remote ... again a good thing.

The light is sufficiently bright to enable us to unlock the side gate and retrieve the bins, but not so bright as to annoy the neighbours.

The PIR detection is narrow, so the light only comes on when I step into a small footprint and it will not be come on when the neighbours walk by.

If the batteries last for 12 months or more then it's a 5 star product.

UPDATE 18/11/13

After 5 months of infrequent use still going strong. Using the original batteries and the light is as bright as day one.
22 comments118 of 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2014
I use this as the main light for my patio. Easily installed, very bright and so far the sensor only went mental once when a spider was crawling all over it.

Good solid build quality feel to this product and so far neighbours and family are interested in getting something similar for their gardens.
on 14 November 2014
Had three now and all become faulty light stays on will not turn off
on 20 November 2014
Have been impressed with Mr Beams products, but this "weatherproof" outside light has allowed so much water in that it no longer works.
on 31 January 2014
Very easy to install, have attached mine to side of a tree and provides an excellent light giving me ample time to open garage door.

Would be an excellent security light and would definitely buy another Mr Beams MB390 if I ever need one again.
on 17 November 2014
The light worked for a few months then started flashing on and off with no good reason. Forced to remove batteries. Rubbish product.
on 21 June 2014
I wanted to use this to illuminate the doorway of my flat........I was so disappointed to find the light randomly stayed on and/or would go out and keep on self-activating!!!!!......I certainly cannot recommend this product based on my experience......
on 9 April 2014
These are advertised as detecting movement at up to 25 feet.
The three I was sent detect at 9 feet at best and often less than that, which is useless to me so I'm returning them.
The brightness is acceptable for a battery powered unit

See one answered question