5.0 out of 5 stars Big Improvement!
I am one of those people who love football and pre-order FIFA every year but i didn't enjoy FIFA 13 as much as I'd have liked to but FIFA 14 is a major improvement, Ultimate Team is great and the main menu is much easier to navigate and way better organised, the career is more realistic (the players price tags are finally reasonable) and the CPU transfers are also quite...
Published 18 months ago by James

2.0 out of 5 stars See what they were trying to do but they failed
Published 14 months ago by Joshua Glennon

2.0 out of 5 stars See what they were trying to do but they failed, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The problem with this game is that they have tried to make it more realistic through things such as heavy touches, goalkeeping howlers, turns on the ball that aren't 100% perfect, yet they've succeeded in making it worse and more frustrating for it. For starters, you play a through ball, 9 times out of 10 the player instead of running onto it, will stutter, stop, let everyone catch up. Goalkeepers fumble the simplest of balls into the opposition's path, even though a real goalkeeper would not have done that. For some reason, strikers just stand in offside positions all the time, they dont come back onside. Everything is delayed.. I click 'A' (for xbox) and it' a good 2 seconds before he passes the ball, by which time he's been tackled. Skill is delayed. Basically this game is a lot less fun because of how slow it all is. The shooting is awful. Sometimes you put next-to-no power on a shot and it ends up in the next city; sometimes you put full power on a shot and it dribbles to the keeper. Not that that matters as the keeper is bound to fumble it and I'll score anyway.

Finally, the defenders are pathetic. The one's that I am not controlling just run every-which-way imaginable, there is no sense of them trying to defend, it's like they have blindfolds on!

Try again, EA.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game, big problem with freezing., 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
All bugs aside, this is a great game. AI is better than ever, I'm having a lot of fun playing it and it's finally shaken the trend of being identical to its predecessor.

Ultimate Team, Career mode, Seasons and Pro Clubs have all been improved massively with a fair few additions in features. Graphics seem to have been improved further, which I did not expect before I bought it due to focus on the new generation of consoles coming later this month. This is a great game to play online with friends and in the 3 days I've had it I have already had a lot of fun.

However, along with this fun something terrible is still ongoing which EA have tried but failed to fix. This problem of course is consistent freezing. I have not gone one session without the game freezing to the point I have to restart the whole system. As I do not have a PS3, I am not sure if this is also a problem on that version but I have been lead to believe by various internet sources that it is slightly better, so if you have both consoles I'd recommend buying it on PS3 instead.

Overall, I believe this could have been an easy 5 star rating but it has been let down by the issues many FIFA players around the world are experiencing which is why I would not recommend this until all bugs have been fixed (unlikely seeing as this is EA though unfortunately).

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish that there is lower than one star, 7 April 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
To summerize, the game is so bad and I can clearly see that it was hardly tested. The same server crashes, which are not fixed since fifa 12. The mode that requires purchasing packs and etc with real money is completely broken. My son bought several items and they are stuck at EA servers for several months. Moreover, what can I say about their customer service that is not already said. It is the worst customer service ever. They just employ powerless Indian guys and give them no authority whatsoever to solve any issue, they just waste your time and end the conversation with a promise that they will send the case to the Studio, and that the Studio will contact you in a matter of 48 hours with a quick solution. Needless to say, the alleged Studio will never get back to you. I filed three cases in the last 6 months, and none of them was even addressed. I am seriously considering taking a legal action against the company that sells this product. AVOID THIS PRODUCT!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 24 April 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is by far the most shockingly awful installment of the fifa series so far. I've never regretted spending money on something as much as I do this game.

Gameplay is just terrible. It doesn't feel like you have any control whatsoever over your players or what they do. Passes go straight to opponents, low powered shots blaze over the bar, crosses go out for throw ins on the opposite side.

EA seem to have attempted to make something that's as close to real football as possible. What they forgot is that they are also trying to make something that should be enjoyed but there is nothing enjoyable about it. Player and team performance is inconsistent, poor one game and perfect the next etc. When you are trying to make a pass or take a shot the computer will take over and do something completely different to what you actually intended to do. Things like button delay and momentum are intended to even things out but actually make it even more unbalanced than ever. Playing ultimate team, you will concede goals in the 45th and 90th minute constantly even if it looks like there is no danger. Watch several goal leads disappear in a matter of minutes as the other team gets massive boosts to their passing, running, and overall team performance to become virtually impossible to beat.

If you are looking for a game that puts players head to head and the better player wins, keep looking because it isn't this one. All the time you are playing this game you are actually playing against 'the fix' that is in place to predetermine the result of every match no matter how the teams perform.

I am completely and utterly disgusted at this game and EA in general. They bring these games out year after year and they just keep getting worse. Instead of actually working on the issues from the last game they add more and still expect people to pay 50 quid on release day. Sadly some people still do but I will no longer be among them. Bottom line, if you are thinking of buying this game, go and give your money to charity or throw it down a drain.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 17 April 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I had high hopes for this game when I bought it but they were quickly dashed.

Tackling - those made by your opponent are always inch-perfect and almost never result in a free-kick for you. However, the exact opposite occurs with your tackles, that is if you can actually get close enough to make one. In most cases the opponent simply shrugs you off or makes a few impossible twists & turns and off he goes. On the few occassions you win a tackle it is given as a foul against you or the ball will rebound back to an opposing player.

Shots on goal - you can score some cracking goals but most shots will end up going wide, being saved or the one that usually happens to me - it hits the woodwork. The most I can remember is that during one game I actually hit the post 4 times & ended up losing. During that game I believe that I had about 12 shots at goal to the opponents single shot, so lost 0:1. All of this also depends on whether or not you can actually get close to goal because defenses always seem to be perfectly organised (at the other end you'll find yours parting like the Red Sea). You will also not get the chance to shoot because most attacks will end with an offside. I have known games with offside into double figures and I only play 4 mins each way.

50:50 - virtually all of these will fall to an opponent. Your goalie kicks the ball out and it lands at the feet of an attacker. Their keeper kicks it out and it lands at the feet of his own player. You shoot, the keeper saves, it will deflect to a defender as none of your players will be near it. When an opposing defender makes an aimless clearance it will fall straight at the feet of a team-mate. Guess where yours will end up.

Player ratings - almost a waste of time beacuse any team you play suddenly becomes a combination of Messi, Ronaldo & Usain Bolt regardless of their rating. Your opponent will make the most impossible twists & turns at lightning speed while yours turn like a battleship. You can be "yards" ahead of a much slower opponent but they will catch you up, win the ball, speed off and will do this from first to last whistle without running out of energy.

All in all a very poor game with many features missing from previous versions. For example you can no longer make up your own tournament or leagues. My favourite was making up a 22 team league of international teams and playing as one of them (or a similar set up with European teams).

1.0 out of 5 stars FIFA 14: Awful Edition, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The majority of my play time, in all the FIFAs I've purchased (stretching right back to '03), is spent in CM on Professional. In FIFA 14, it's so bad I've actually gone right back to FIFA 12 for some time.

I actually don't know where to begin with this, it's that bad. I'll just make a list and throw some points out there.

1. Referee AI. Holy s***. It's actually been impossible to play out some matches in a realistic, proper manner (i.e. ending in a *lot* of 0-0 draws) because the referee hands out a yellow card for every time you so much as try to jostle for the ball with another player, forcing you to stay well deep to avoid the opposition punting the ball through your lines. Normally I can tolerate this but the ridiculous part is it's one-way; opposing players can jostle all they like apparently, with the ref turning a blind eye.

2. Physics engine. What in the name of FIFA did you do to the game engine? I've had players getting caught up on each other on the ground, seemingly unable to get off each other, leading to game crashes. I've had my players treating opposing players like they're immovable objects, not thinking to go around them to tackle. Silly little bouts pop up all too often, with tackle leading to counter-tackle leading to counter-tackle, because the ball is undergoing incorrect physical effects.

3. Player AI. Again, what the living heck did you do to the player AI? I once won a game in an FA Cup match as Accrington Stanley against Ipswich Town 3-1 because the opposition scored two own goals simply by passing it back to the keeper and letting it roll right past him (clearly, he's s*** himself and is embarrassed about bending over to pick it up). Can EA explain to me why, when I have a player with 91 in his acceleration trait and 90 in his top speed trait, I'm being caught up to and *outran* by defenders with no more than 75 in those traits? What, does Professional difficulty make the opposition superhuman? And let's not forget, if you don't have an entire team of six foot seven giants, you won't win any aerial challenges because apparently the strength trait means f*** all!

It's a shame because not only is this my first review but I rarely have negative things to say about EA. I have since come to recognise that this game is only popular because of the extreme lack of alternative options. Pro Evolution Soccer doesn't offer the same kind of realism and genuine football gameplay, so we're pretty much stuck with FIFA and that is rapidly becoming unworthy of the monopoly it holds over the sports section.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down..., 24 Jan. 2014
Lowell Smith (southampton) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Okay so this is the first review i have ever done on Amazon, the reason being FIFA 14 is so shockingly bad i had to vent my anger!!!

Now i have been playing FIFA for a good 10 years and have always enjoyed playing the games, i found fifa13 very entertaining and was hoping 14 would be even better - oh how i was disappointed. There are so many things wrong with this game it's untrue i'll try and go through some bad points:

- 1st touches are awful, you have to wait for your player to receive the ball take their touch then decide what you want to do with them, by this time you've lost the ball. In Fifa 13 you could actually do someone on the turn but not this one it's so slow! I rarely use the run button cus there's no point but even then you can't move smoothly, simple things like stopping the ball dead are a mammoth task for players.

- One really frustrating thing I'll play a lob through ball to a forward, totally clear of the defense should be one on one situation but they take so dam long to take it down and control it that the defense just catch up to you every time.

- On previous fifas say you are running to catch a ball thats going out of play - you catch up to the ball and you stop it. Simple right? happens in football all the time. In Fifa 14 this is impossible, you chase down a ball try and turn the opposite way or hold LB to keep the ball still and they just run it out of play.

- Defending is just as bad. I started a career with the mighty Southampton and i didn't mind it too bad, i started winning games by 3 or 4 goals. It's when you start to play with the big clubs like Real Madrid or Barcelona the game gets even worse. When you defend with these teams their players are so unrealistically fast, all the opposition has to do is walk out the way. Even when holding LT they just move so quick and unnaturally. It also seems that when defending you will jostle with a player and can't get the ball however when the computer jostles with you they just take the ball from you.

- 8/10 corners go in. So unrealistic

- Players are constantly offside

-Transfers are terrible now you have to scout players, you can't just search by criteria and see the best players

- Shots always seem to be blocked by your own player

It's hard to think of everything that does my head in but trust me there's so many bad points, i have quit this game so many times even when i'm 2-0 up just because of the BS that goes down.

I've given it 2 starts cus although i hate it i do still find myself playing it cus i love football.

My advice would be to stick with FIFA 13.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gameplay fix, 3 Jan. 2014
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This review is most specifically for the career mode aspect of the game as previous reviews have covered all of the server crashes and errors when playing online, so i wont bother mentioning them.

The game mechanics themselves are a step forward, but what's the point when the game makes it blatantly obvious the matches are scripted (the result is decided before the game even starts) ? Here's what I did to test this theory, i went on to career mode with a team full of 99 Overall custom made players, i chose the semi-pro difficulty (which, with the team i had, should be a cake walk) and after dominating matches and scoring god knows how many goals, the game suddenly goes out of its way to make it impossible for you to even run with the ball, the game reaches a certain point where regardless of what difficulty you picked, it will automatically boost the difficulty so the CPU wins.
The way it does this is even more infuriating, the game misreads what commands you tell the player to do resulting in your player 'accidentally' giving the ball away or putting it in your own net, the defense of the CPU becomes the equivalent of world class/legendary difficulty defending and players from lower leagues score against my 99 overall goalkeeper from as far as the halfway line sometimes.
The gameplay is certainly a step up, or atleast the attempt to make gameplay better; every player sprints like they have smashed kneecaps and the affore mentioned misreading of commands leads to mistakes that you KNOW you didnt do but the game does it for you anyway.
Overall if you want to waste your money, go ahead and buy it, but keep in mind that if you're really good at this game (which i am, i merely made all my players so over-powered to prove a point) then you're skills will not be rewarded on career mode as the game decides what you do anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute let down!, 3 Jan. 2014
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have been playing Fifa ever since Fifa98 and always enjoyed it a great deal. This edition however, I have actually hated.

I have just completed my first season in Manager mode and here are my findings; The gameplay is sluggish and slow. None of your AI players will make a run, they just stand still as if they're all playing a game of 'stuck in the mud'.
I haven't had one free kick all season.
The passing is terrible, there is no auto-assist at all so a lot of possession will be either given away or you will simply pass it out of play.
The stamina of players is atrocious, you have to constantly move your team around meaning you spend more time in the menu screens than actually playing the game.
It used to be so simple to buy new players but the new scouting system is complicated and time consuming. Players don't show straight forward ratings anymore, instead, you have to scout each player individually which takes days at a time. Why did they feel the need to change a good thing? Have they not heard the phrase 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
On the last game of the season (which I won), there were no celebrations, no trophy, nothing. I had just won the league and nothing.
Overall I can see where EA have spent their time on this game, making it look real but they have removed the fun from the game. Like I said, I have always enjoyed Fifa but this game has left me seriously disappointed. If I wanted bad gameplay I would have bought PES, if I wanted to spend most of my time sorting out the team I would have bought Football Manager.

My only advice is to stick to Fifa 13, simply because it is fun, and that's what people really want in a game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough change, broken, unbalanced online gameplay, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
While Fifa 14 is a good game by gaming standards, it is a let down by Fifa standards. Fifa 14 introduced intelligent attacking play where the players would run into spaces at full sprint, this allows for one tactic and one tactic only to be used to take advantage of games, this is the lofted through ball on the counter attack, in ultra defensive. I have no problem with this being part of the game however when you play it online, you will see how unbalanced it is.
Games become repetitive, everyone you play against who has experience in the game will use the lofted through-ball counter attack with pacey players (a problem that wasn't addressed in fifa 13) The same teams are used, the same tactics are used, every game is pretty much the same and this allows for no creativity in how people play their teams, because any other way is inferior.

The insult comes where fifa supposedly patched this early on, (I would hate to think what it was like pre patch because it is still broken)

Besides this Fifa is a good game by xbox standards, the offline or single player modes are fun and challenging and I recommend this product to you all if this is your preferred gaming mode, the AI doesn't take advantage of the stated above and challenges the user on the ground, dribbling, anticipating passing, slow and high tempo play. This is why I haven't put the game as one star.

If online play is your thing - stay clear until another patch or fifa 15!

FIFA 14 (Xbox 360)
FIFA 14 (Xbox 360) by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)