4.0 out of 5 stars FIFA 14 - The good, the bad and the annoying
Published 10 months ago by Pankow27

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it so much
I'm not the best FIFA player, or console player generally, so I don't mind losing to better players as I'm used to it.
FIFA 13 was frustrating at times, but I always accepted that was down to me. It was a good game.

FIFA 14 is the only thing in the world that absolutely infuriates me. A rage I did not know I had in me.

The result of the match...
Published 6 months ago by Dan

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it so much, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)

The result of the match you is totally randomised, decided by whose defenders & goalie do the craziest things.

A top-of-my-head list of bugs that will have you spitting every game:

1. Your goalie has a mental breakdown. Concede
2. Every tackle ends at opponent's feet, often magically clear through on goal. You can tackle one player 17 times and he still ends up through on goal. Concede
3. Defenders NEVER jump at corners. 7ft defenders vs 5ft 7 strikers lose, a lot. Concede
4. Switching player stops the defender running. Concede
5. Switching to the wrong player. So wrongly it's incredible. Concede
6. At random, when you are chasing a player pressing square to tug, instead, 3-4 metres away from the opponent he will attempt a little toe poke tackle, poking thin air with his foot. Otherwise you'd have caught up. Concede
7. Attempt through ball to left wing where 3 guys are clear on goal, clearly holding that direction on the controller - oh it's gone for the right wing where a lone guy is marked by 4 men instead.
8. Superhuman goalies for randomly picked matches. By superhuman I mean you will not score under any circumstances, 15 Banks quality saves in a row.
9. John Terry catching up with Aguero, Walcott, Ronaldo, or anyone for that matter. With full energy.
10. 'Normal' crosses, from a normal angle, with an able winger, with no pressure. Fly out for a throw in other side. So you have to double tap to near post every time
11. Bundle situation anywhere on the pitch? Crowded area? Your 5 players will lose out to the 1 opponent who is now clear through on goal
.......there are so many more, I could knock up 50 no problem at all but I have a day to get on with.

For the REALLY good players, these aren't a problem - they can get on and beat you anyway.
I am guessing that all the good 4-5 star reviews are from really good players who run rings around the average guys like me. I don't care about losing to them, they are pros and will always beat me fair and square.

The rage comes from the marginal games, two average-decent players battling it out online. The outcome is totally at random.

The better of the players can have 20 shots on target at close range vs the opponent's 2.
Depending on how many of the defending bugs mentioned above occur, he (or she) could win 7-0, or lose 0-1. It is pot luck. And it is so wildly random, it's not weighted to the guy having 20 shots on target's favour game after game.

THAT is the infuriating thing my friends.
You could argue that this reflects real life, you are wrong - glance at the (partial) list again.
And upsets / totally undeserved victories are freak occurrences, not the norm with 50-50 odds every time.

Everyone loves football, and I want to play a football game in the evening. This one drives me to drink, it would challenge even a Zen Buddhist's mental state. In fact if you are a football lover & practicing Buddhism, thinking you've 'made it', try this game and see how far you've really got.

It is terrible game playing, and bad for the average player's mental health. Stick to 13.

4.0 out of 5 stars FIFA 14 - The good, the bad and the annoying, 27 Sep 2013
Pankow27 (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)
So, it's that time of year again when the footballing community get their hands on the new FIFA and PES and rekindle their pointless rivalry over which title is better or which one has made the most improvements since last year. It is also a time of angry reviews and gamers taking to the internet to berate the fact that their favourite football franchise hasn't done this that or the other, or to mindlessly praise it out of an extreme sense of loyalty to the brand.

First of all I've had this game a couple of days already because I live in Germany where it was released before the UK. I am not one of these people who buys the game on release day and reviews it half an hour later slating or praising it as if I actually know what I'm talking about. Even after having played the game for 3 or so days, I have only begun to see a fraction of what FIFA 14 has to offer. So here it is then, in a nice and simple bullet point form so that you don't need to listen to me babble on all day, what I think are the positives (+) and negatives (-) of FIFA 14. I hope this helps you to make a decision as to whether or not this game is for you.

+ Graphics - Lots of people complaining the graphics are only a slight improvement on FIFA 13. I find them tidier with more realistic faces and kits. Bear in mind, the PS3 has been taken to its limits over the past years and that is why we are heralding the next generation of consoles at the end of the year. They couldn't do much more with the graphical presentation and I for one think they've done a great job.

+ Presentation - As always, good commentary, huge roster of players and teams, nice upgraded menu screen, great list of musical tracks and beautiful animation.

+ Gameplay - More of a tweak than an overhaul from FIFA 13. New ball physics and player movement look superb but will take some getting used to.

+ On-line - If you're into on-line play, FIFA offers a much better package than PES. Single match mode is back including an upgraded Ultimate Team which has - thank goodness - addressed a lot of the niggly issues of last year's game which got so many fans of the series riled.

+ AI - Much better. Your team mates actually look like they know what they're doing now; making intelligent runs, holiding up play and drawing defenders for you to experiment with all sorts of attacking tactics.

+ New scouting system - Much more like Football Manager than FIFA. Players in career mode have hidden attributes which your scouts are hired to unlock bringing you in depth reports of the players. The scouts will also scout players they feel you could actually buy. Playing as York City, I scouted "Attacking Midfielder" and no, it didn't just bring up Xavi, Cristiano Ronaldo or Neymar, it actually gave me realistic options; much like in Football Manager where you can filter out "unrealistic targets".

- Too many modes - There are so many good modes in the game that it is unlikely that you'll be able to dedicate enough time to each one. Sounds like a strange thing to put as a 'negative', but it's more of a 'shame' I guess.

- Very hard - By hard I mean challenging, and by challenging I mean you need to take your time when playing, and by that I mean most people who give bad reviews to FIFA are between the ages of 11 and 15. It's not as 'arcadey' as older FIFAs, it is a football simulation. You need to get used to passing, moving and thinking like a footballer and not caning the skill moves and shooting from 35 yards all the time.

Overall a very good swansong for the PS3. Future instalments on the PS4 will be tasty and can really focus on improving the game's presentation and realistic feel. Until then we have FIFA 14 which is in itself a wonderful game. It isn't perfect and I think that many people who write a review over the coming weeks will cite that it hasn't improved enough since FIFA 13. While I can understand this to a point, be fair and remember that gaming is reaching a transitional period. FIFA 14 is simply a stylish farewell to current generation footy games and a 'hello' to a scintillating and exciting future.

Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive as always, 17 Oct 2013
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)
Every new version of Fifa is met with so much harsh criticism !! And this version is no exception. However it does seems that this version of FIFA requires a very long learning curve.

The good points:
- Polished up screen menu system
- Gameplay is quite good, and improved graphics are welcome
- More realistic skill moves
- Very important IMHO is that the player without the football runs faster than the one who is. This is a very realistic situation which was lacking in previous versions. I do stand to be corrected on this point, yet it definitely is much more noticeable in this version.

Bad Points:
- Whilst the commentary has improved quite a lot, it does need some polishing up. At times I am amazed with what the commentator says yet on other occasions I feel it too repetitive and annoying. "Your type of goal" "Definitely your type of goal".... too much of it.
- Way too many offsides!! Having said that, it probably reflect how much one knows the game in real world scenario I guess.
- Players falling or tripping too much
- Whilst fouling has been reduced to a minimum, certain fouls are a bit dubious.
- Online gaming seems to be more controlled by the CPU than the user!

Software updates could hopefully address certain issues.

Taking all into account I do find that Fifa 14 PS3 is a bit of a mixed bag. Yet I just cannot stop playing the game!!

Hope you have more luck than I do!

Enjoy ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Utterly frustrating..., 7 Oct 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)
A complete and utter let-down. I no longer enjoy playing this game.

Particular points to mention are:

Unintuitive players - Players will run away from a free ball if you're not in control of them, even if they're the closest man. They're seemingly happy to let your opponent scoop up the ball. They're slow to react to almost everything: passes, rebounds, through-balls, and when they do react, straight-line acceleration and turning speed are unrealistically slow.

Un-defendable crosses - Despite mashing every button on the controller, often defenders won't even jump to defend crosses. As if a goal is predetermined as soon as it leaves the crossers foot, defenders are seemingly happy to let your opponent nod into the net. (Replays demonstrate this flaw to comical effect.)

Wayward passes - Your own players will jump over/run away from passes if they're not the player the game believes you meant to pass to. This is extremely frustrating in attacking through-ball situations, where plain goal scoring opportunities are watched pass by. It's also blatantly obvious when merely passing along your back four.

Unrealistic goalkeeping - Keepers are either steel-armed supermen, or mannequins. It's easier to score 30-yard wonder strikes than it is to place a shot from 12 yards in a one-on-one.

Offsides - It's extremely difficult to play a through ball. Players love it offside.

On the plus side, the new menus are a bit neater, and some of the music is alright.

Ultimately, I'd have been happier had EA re-branded Fifa 13.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)
This is my first ever review on any site about a game but decided I had to have my say just because really.

First off I've been playing FIFA since it was released 20 odd years ago and then moved onto Pro Evo when the franchise started to go down. I've since obviously returned to FIFA within the last 5 years when it picked up again so I've been playing football games the majority of my life and I play regular Sunday league football, I am not just a gaming fan.
I mostly play the online seasons but I play all the formats of the game, including ultimate team and have finished many a season on career as a pro and manager. (let it be known I do have a girlfriend)

I have played the game nearly non stop now for over 3 weeks trying to get to grips with the game play and I just can't do it! It just isn't realistic for me at all and find it so frustrating all of the time I have no decided to go back to FIFA 13.

Everything about the game play is so amateurish, all of the time. I'm not a bad player (I managed to win the division 1 title several times on seasons in each FIFA) and I understand the dynamics of football by being player and watching every game I can from any league.

The inability to pass, move, play overhead through balls and position your players is just borderline stupidity. Like many others have said 'it feels like your playing with Sunday league footballers' and this is the case. I'm not a trick pony player nor do I hold onto sprint and second man closing the whole time and shoot from anywhere, I like to play the game properly but find this almost impossible with the new game play. Those have gotten to grips with it and enjoy the game fair play but looking at the scores and overall reviews I am not alone in my frustration and my copy shall be getting sold at the earliest available opportunity

3.0 out of 5 stars It's like painting a portrait and then missing out the face., 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)
I've played nearly every FIFA that has been released. I've also enjoyed nearly every FIFA that has been released. This one however, not so much.

Last years 2013 edition I really enjoyed. Played multiply season in career mode and always looked forward to playing it. It wasn't perfect, but it still had that FIFA essence that everyone had come to love.
This edition however lacked nearly everything. The whole experience just felt sluggish, annoying and oh so disappointing. The base layer is there. If you want a quick game with a mate or against the CPU then it still works fine. A few added quirks in there like the match build up commentary, which is nice, until you start to hear the same things over and over, but a welcomed added touch.
However, if you start to delve into the game then you start to see the slowness of it. Menus taking longer to load and lots of bugs that haven't been ironed out. Detracts from the experience. The menus are all different, which is great. Bright and colourful. Just all rather slow moving between them. It's like it was geared up for ps4 instead.

The game play. I personally don't notice much difference from last years. If anything it's even more frustrating. Defending is a laugh, continually struggling to tackle. CPU players seem to glide past. Maybe it's just me. If the ball becomes loose then it nearly always goes to the CPU team. I've not noticed any of this goal mechanics where you have to strike the ball perfectly to score. Crossing is rubbish. You either score all the time or the ball fly all the way to the other side even if you only tap the button.
Basically for all the hype and waiting for it to be released it's all been rather disappointing.

I recommend that if you want to play it then wait till it's really cheap and buy it. Struggling to see whether I'll buy the next version. It's not awful. The fundamentals are still there, but it's just not up to scratch in my honest opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 15 July 2014
Top game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for for footie mad kids, 15 July 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)
My boys 10 & 7 years old love fifa games - really enjoying this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Addictive

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 (PS3) (Video Game)
Arrived on time great game

FIFA 14 (PS3)
FIFA 14 (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
24.45