5.0 out of 5 stars MobileLite Wireless to the rescue!
I love this product.
We used to travel with a twin-screen car DVD player and a stash of DVDs to keep our kids entertained on long journeys, whether by car or plane.
Published 11 months ago by Yemsky

Quite slow at transferring photos from usb to the ipad having to wait for long periods on quite small jpg files that then loose clarity on the retina display which defeats the object
Published 3 months ago by Andrew Shears

5.0 out of 5 stars MobileLite Wireless to the rescue!, 10 Sep 2013
Yemsky (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingston Technology MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader (Personal Computers)
I love this product.
Last year I bought a Google Nexus 7 which the kids love for games. This meant carrying yet another device around... until I discovered downloaded movies for the tablet. I quickly realised that not having to carry a DVD player and a fat DVD wallet around is great but that the built-in 16GB storage space of the tablet , partly used up by Apps and other stuff, doesn't leave much space for movies.
That's when I decided to give the Mobilelite Wireless a try. It turned out to be easy to use, works reliably and with PLENTY of movies stored on a 32 GB SD card we recently went on a two week vacation. The beach turned out to be much more attractive then any movies we had brought along and the kids actually didn't watch much at all. However...
For the journey back home we had a nine hour flight ahead of us and had promised the kids one movie before "lights out" when the flight attendant announced that the inflight entertainment system was broken. There were some very disappointed passengers on the flight, including my 9-year old and my 5-year old who was about to have a very public melt down.
This is when the Mobilelite Wireless came to the rescue and showed it's true potential: I switched it on and within minutes one child watched her movie of choice on the Nexus 7 whereas the other one used my iphone to watch a different one. Eventually, my wife decided to pull out her Galaxy SIII phone and enjoyed a third movie. All three devices obviously had the respective Android or iOS MobileLite Wireless App installed. After a while I felt a bit bored myself and booted up my Windows 8 work laptop that I always travel with but which does not hold any movies. As there is no Mobilelite Wireless App to run on a Windows 8 computer I just opened my browser, entered the MobileLite Wireless URL into the browser (192.168.200.254) and bingo: I was able to stream a fourth movie from the SD card at the same time.
Result: Definitely one happy family on that flight thanks to Kingston.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does more than I expected, 26 Dec 2013
Well, for those people who have mixed feeling about this device due to some amibiguous reviews, can I just say at (currently) 30 its a bargain - it create a wifi hotspot that enables you to connect your phone or tablet and view whatever files are on aUSB or SD memory drive. The settings are so easy even a non techie like myself had no problems in going into "security" to create a password, and "network" so it connects to my router- and bridges the wifi . Simple and brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful device, 20 May 2013
Mr. Richard The book boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Kingston Mobile Lite

What is it ?

This is a small media reader and wireless streamer with a built in battery to enable phones to be charged from it.

In the box.

The main unit, a USB cable, fold out instructions and a SD to micro SD converter card. Instructions on how to download the management app from Apple and Google.

In use.

It is simple to use. There is an on off button and that's about it. Attach it to a PC and the battery charges up and it will read SD cards as well. The USB slot will take a USB memory stick and read files from it and wirelessly transmit them to either Apple or Android devices. I have only used it with my Nexus pad on Android and it works a treat. The advantage being you can store loads of files on a USB stick and read them wirelessly on the Android device without using up the limited memory in the Nexus pad. I steamed a film to it and it worked very well. To use it you need to download an app from Google Play for Android or Apple Store for iPads etc.
While using it there was no drop out of interference which is great for such a small device. I am going to use it with a Kindle fire and will report back when I have had some more experience of it. I am using it at this moment in time with a Nexus 7 tablet. Please see other reviews here for experience with I Pad's and iPhones as I don't have them.

Battery charger.

The unit has a built in batter that can be used to charge up a p[hone or iPod battery. I tried this on my iPod and it charged the battery up so will be very useful if I am away from a power source while camping.

Overall impression.

A neat gadget that does lots of things. I did not think I would need such a device but now I have it I never go out without it. It's a useful SD card reader, charger and media streamer and saves using up the limited memory in iPhones, I pads, and Android devices. I am sure anyone who buys this will get a lot of use from it especially those on the move who like to take lots of media files with them. This is one of those gadgets that's actually very useful !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware but poor software., 8 Aug 2014
Purchased this as away of transferring files to and from my android phone and tablet. In particular I was looking for away of backing up photos from my cameras SD card to either the tablet or to a USB stick. The good news is that the actual hardware works very well. Initial connection to android devices is simple and subsequent connection reliable. The unit has an SD card slot and a USB port. Both work fine and it is possible to read and write to either AND to transfer between the two. Therefore it is possible to copy the contents of an SD card to a USB stick for example. The USB port is also able to accept portable hard drives and provide sufficient power to them. The unit can also read and allow you to conect NTFS formated disks. So for example my phone does not support the NTFS format so any attempt at connecting such a device directly via USB-otg results in an error message saying cannot read contents would I like to reformat ! With the mobelite it works fine. This is not to be underestimated as by standard most portable hard drives come with the NTFS format and changing it to something an android phone or tablet can read is sometimes difficult and getting sufficient power to the drive nontrivial. Streaming video from a USB stick, SD card or hard drive also works well, with sufficient data rate to watch HD movies. Works well with a phone connected wirelessly to the mobelite and via HDMI to a TV.

All in all the hardware is great and well deserving 5 stars. Unfortunately the Kingston software for android is not so good. Don't get me wrong it works and allows you to move files and folders or stream video or music. The problem is that there is no means to multi select files, so if I want to transfer multiple photos for example it has to be done one file at a time or at best one folder at time. To say this isn't always convenient would be a bit of an understament. I simply cannot understand why Kingston would not have incorporated this essential feature into there software. There is however a partial answer to this. Instal ES-file explore on to your android device. This allows you to see LAN devices (including the Mobelite) and use them in the same way as internal storage or directly attached devices, and ES file explorer DOES support multiple select. The only catch with this approach is file transfer speed. Reading from to the Mobelite to the android devices is the same speed with either the Kinston software or with ES, but transferring from the Mobelite's SD slot to USB ( or visa versa) is much slower with ES. My guest is that ES moves files From the Mobelite to the phone/tablet and hen back again whereas the Kingston software does it directly in the hardware.

All in this is great bit of hardware and potentially very useful if you want to move files around or access external storage from a mobile device. Just bear in mind the software limitations and also that you can do many of these things via USB-OTG cables or hubs and that USB-OTG tends to be a fair bit quicker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well - let down by software, 28 Sep 2013
Claire Bradley (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great accessory for travel. Charges from a standard usb charger, let's you backup photos from your digital camera to a usb drive, and most importantly it streams movies and tv to your devices - I've tried it with my iPhone and ipad using nPlayer. The supplied software works ok but has some peculiarities where you can't stream mkv's but can stream mp4s.. To stream an mkv I had to use the web interface (not really publicised, access from mobilelite.com) and then copy and paste the http URL of the file into nplayer. You can use "send to" with a variety of players but this forces the file to copy entirely before playing, not necessarily a bad thing but you might have to wait a bit before watching! The software allows you to navigate around both USB and as cards, a facility to more easily select a lot of files would be beneficial as backing up many photos can take quite a time to select multiple files. Recommended product at a reasonable price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite slow at transferring photos from usb to the ipad having to wait for long periods on quite small jpg files that then loose, 30 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit. (It can be easily set up to play lots of video formats using VLC app)., 30 July 2014
This is a great portable device. The official App Store app can be slightly slow and buggy, however this only needs to be used to install the settings on the device, i.e; personalising your password and connecting to any nearby internet enabled WIFI networks.

Once this is set up and you connect your device to the Mobilite's WIFI you will not only be able to view photos / video, back up your device photos, but you will also be able to connect to the internet (providing it has been set up to connect to a nearby internet enabled WIFI network).

The official Mobilite app only supports MP4 video formats, however by using the free VLC player app, it can connect to the Mobilite's connected USB / SDCard and almost any video format can be played.

I took this on holiday recently and was really impressed, the kids watched some movies streamed to the iPad whilst I backed up the photos taken on my phone at the same time. The battery life seems pretty decent, it charges quickly and it can also be used to charge your devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for the photographer on the go., 3 Jun 2014
Often when I am running arounf with my dslr memebers of my family what to be about to share photos I have just taken, or I want to be able to back my photos up while on holiday etc with this mobile mate and a smart phone/tablet I can easily transfer a photo my sd card to email or a usb storage device, also it can be used as an emergency charger for a tablet or smart phone, the product is a little bigger than a smart phone so it is easy to find spacefor all in all a great little product

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept but could be faster, 30 May 2014
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
We bought this Kingston MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader as we are keen photographers and like to to see our pictures on our iPads whilst still in the field. In the box you get the Mobilelite Reader, a USB to Micro USB lead plus instructions, although, there are some more useful video guides on the Kingston website.This device is effectively a wireless hotspot with an SD card facility and is about the size of a pack of 10 cigarettes.

You charge the device via it's Micro USB socket and a 3 hour charge will give you around 6 hours or so use. There is an SD card slot, an on/off switch and three LED indicators - one for power, another for the data link to your mobile device plus another for the "bridge" to your wireless network. This latter facility is obviously optional but means you can access the Internet whilst connected to the Mobilelite Reader without changing WiFi connections.

To make this device work you need to install the Mobilelite app which works well and connection between the iPad and reader is easy to set up. You can then read what is on the SD card you insert into the Mobilelite reader and view pictures. In common with other reviewers it didn't work for videos. In most other respects this device works well and gave access to the pictures taken on my Canon SX280 HS and Nikon DSLR cameras. The one weakness is that I think it could be faster in loading the pictures - okay we are talking a few seconds for each picture - obviously a bigger file will take longer. I need to qualify this by saying that I like speed, even the most powerful PCs are still not quick enough to me - anything short of instant is too slow therefore I'm always disappointed. Also a case would have been nice for device that is made to be carried around.

If you aren't worried about the slower than instant loading of pictures and lack of movie compatibility then this device could be worth a look for you. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, 5 Mar 2014
This product was working very well, until Kingston updated the app, now the mobile lite will not work at all and is useless. There has two further updates since, which has not made any difference , the product is still not working.
What a waste of money, don't buy this product until the app that runs it is sorted out.
Very disappointed :(