Big improvement over the past year or so on firmware has made this one of the better routers out there.

I've been trying various routers, from Asus RT-AC68U, and even the seriously overpriced Linksys WDR1900AC, and the TPLink Archer D7. All were decent enough routers, but the Archer C7 with the latest firmware is without doubt the best of the lot.

I...
Published 1 month ago by Mr. A. M. Davidson

I initially bought this to upgrade my router to Wireless AC and improve the wireless reception throughout the house, Unfortunately the overall reception seemed to be similar (Possibly slightly better than Wireless N) I assumed I may have the TX power restricted or not on full potential but it was indeed at 100%.
I then decided to setup the device and "give it a...
Published 4 months ago by Lee Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars All the router anyone needs. Recent firmware fixes wifi instability., 7 Mar. 2015
This review is from: TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router (2.4 GHz 450 Mbps, 5 GHz 1,300 Mbps) (Accessory)

I have the C7 on top of the wardrobe in the spare room, on the first floor at the back of the house. My laptop gets a solid 866Mb connection on 5GHz all round the house (Dell Latitude E7440 with the Intel AC7260 2x2 wifi chip). My living room HTPC, which is downstairs at the front of the house, has one of the excellent Asus PCE-68U PCI-Express wifi cards, with the 3 external antennas. It gets a solid 1.3Gb connection, which gives me over 50MB/s file copies off my NAS unit.

I've had zero issues with connection on 5GHz on the recent firmware - older firmwares weren't so good.

So, now that this router is less than £100, I think it's a real bargain. It's faster, cheaper, and more configurable than even the big Linksys. It also uses much less power, only 4W compared to nearly 20W for the Linksys.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent router, 1 July 2013
Steven Brown (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this as I was getting rubbish range of my existing router, and I was drawn in by the faster speed on offer.

Took about 5 minutes to set it up. I'm on Virgin Media, and it was simply a case of plugging in the cable from the virgin router into the WAN port, and running through the setup with a cable to connected to the ethernet port. After quickly rattling through a very straightforward setup, the slowest part of the whole process was the router rebooting, which took a minute or so.

Once rebooted, I had full internet access, and it seemed pretty quick over wired and wireless connection.

Changed wireless name and password the match the old one, switched the old router off, and the replacement process was complete.

Did some testing with video streaming, and was very pleased with the results. A couple of devices that had struggled to connect from the living room now stream video easily.

The device looks nice and slick too. Not quite sure what some other reviewers are doing, complaining that it picks up fingers marks - do they sit and touch their routers all night? surely you put it in place and don't touch it!

In summary, an excellent piece of technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Router!, 14 Mar. 2014
This brilliant router is a great step up from those cheap and generally rubbish routers you get issued with when you sign up for home broadband services. Supporting dual Wireless Modes and improved signal strength ( remember the higher you mount the router and further away from any other electrical devices the better the signal)

This also has great application for any small business owner( coffee shop, public house, restaurant etc) wishing to offer your clientèle internet access without the requirement of any additional equipment or services. With its built in wireless guest network enabling the segregation of clientèle from your business network.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best router for your money, 15 Aug. 2014
Top wireless router at a reasonable price. Has a great range getting rooms through several floors and walls. Very easy set-up apart from the quirk of using 192.168.0.1 instead of the normal 192.168.1.1, Looks classy too. Must have an external internet device to connect to this one and used a fibre-optic compatible one.

Achieved speeds around 55mbps download on the network using just the n setting. A great device!

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately the overall reception seemed to be similar (Possibly slightly better than Wireless N) I assumed I may have the ..., 18 Dec. 2014
Lee Parker (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I then decided to setup the device and "give it a go" connected the Ethernet WAN port configured the ISP details and it worked within minutes... Then every 4-5 minutes the WAN port would show disconnected so I checked and tried to update the firmware but the firmware would not flash as it was incompatible with the current version (Despite their having only ever been V1.0 released?) I have also had this on another TP-Link variant I then raised a returns and ordered the ASUS RT-AC66U and Im happy to say its been a much better experience all round

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic router!, 4 Sept. 2014
I was having some serious problems with my ISP provided router when using wifi (a certain superhub!). I was fed up of hearing from Virgin Media that there was no problem with the router, and being in IT, I knew they were wrong. Suberhub is now in modem mode with this running as the router.

I must say I am very impressed, even from the get go! As the LAN range as default was the same as the superhub (lucky as I use static IP's at home for port forwarding), the install was seamless. I changed the Wifi settings to match my old network settings which worked flawlessly with all previous connected devices, weather they are on the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz range and at the same time! Signal is now seen around the whole house where older devices barley made it to the next room.

Unfortunately I do not have any AC devices at present but it is nice to know that I am set for at least the next few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 28 Jan. 2015
I brought this to replace the Router that virgin media provided which was laking. It is good and has improved the Wi-Fi reception and distance within my home

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but WiFi not quite as I'd hoped, 6 Jan. 2015
This works well and gives a great number of configuration options.
Minus one star as I'd expected the wireless rang to be much better than it is. I'm comparing this with a previous version from the same manufacturer and to be honest I don't think it's any better. I have tried various locations and have an Android WiFi signal app to help improve the location.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable 5GHz, 4 Jan. 2014
I bought this router because it's one of a few that have the 5Ghz band and will allow BT Sport channels to play correctly. However, as mentioned by other reviewers and on the TP-Link forums, this router's 5Ghz performance is unacceptable. It will not sustain a 5Ghz connection when set for WPA2/AES security. Setting WPA/PSK allows connection but severely reduces the performance. I will be returning this for something that actually works as advertised. Oh, and the TP-Link technical support is useless, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, good user interface and many features..., 21 Dec. 2014
Long-Suffering Technology Consumer (Mid Atlantic, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
...probably more than most users will ever use.

This router ships with the usual hardware: the router itself, a short RJ45 cable and an AC power adapter. In addition, its three external antennas will need to be screwed on to the rear panel at set up.

Five ethernet ports occupy the bottom of the rear panel (1 wired ethernet input port and 4 wired ethernet output ports). Also on the rear panel are attachment points for the external antennas, two USB points (for attaching shareable devices), a wireless on/off switch, a router on/off switch and WPS pair/reset button.

The front panel has a row of LED indicators (showing the status of power/wireless connectivity/wired connectivity/Internet connectivity/USB connectivity/WPS).

Instead of using the enclosed resource CD, I set up this router via its internal server functions. The URL and default passwords are indicated both in the quick start guide and on a sticker on the bottom of the router. I've learned from past experience that it's a good idea to photograph or scan these before first use for the inevitable time when you will need them later.

Basic configuration was very easy. I was able to change the SSID name for both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ transmitters immediately. The rest of the web interface is very similar to other routers, with menus for basic/advanced configuration options and router/network system information. This router supports six current 802.11 standards (ac/n/g/b/a/e/i and multiple IEEE draft standards and practices).

In addition to the "master" wireless on/off switch on the router, you can configure the router to run any or all of the 2.4, 5 GHZ and a guest network access options.

It also provides printer and DLNA media services (which I have not tested; this has nothing to do with this router, but other DLNA challenges with other hardware).

Setting up the functions most important to me --MAC address filtering and IP address reservations, for extra control/consistent access to/by Internet enabled devices attached to my network-- was very easy through the web interface.

Unlike some routers which require initial setup via a wired connection, this router can be used wirelessly from the beginning.

I set up the router on the ground floor, and had excellent signal strength in all areas of the house (including the farthest corners of the basement and second floor).

Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of the large external antennas, but the magic of their physics meant this router delivered the strongest signals (from three separate, co-located routers) to the farthest part of the house.