on 26 October 2014
I have tried several Wi-Fi extenders and although I still think that those which work over the electricity cabling are the best, this is by far the best of those that work wirelessly.
I used method 2 to set up the unit and it worked just fine. One of the good features is that you can give the Wi-Fi signal it generate your own network name so that you can distinguish it from the original Wi-Fi from your router.
It provides a good strong signal and gives good enough speed. You never get as high a speed as your main router gives - my Virgin router gives up to 30Mb but this extender gives half that - but better than others I have tried by a fair but.
Then there is the price. I paid less than £14 delivered which must make it the bargain of the year. Oh, it also has an Ethernet connection as well that you can use to connect your smart TV or games console.
on 17 June 2014
The extender was very easy to set up using my router's WPS button - that is, the automated set-up; I don't know what the manual set-up would be like if your router doesn't have a WPS button. The set up instructions are very clear and are essentially: 1. Plug into a socket right by your router; 2. Carefully follow the instructions - and have patience!; 3. Unplug and try in various other sockets until you have good coverage for your home or business premises - by "try", I mean plug in and leave it alone until it has made its connection to your router.

I gave it 4 stars because the LEDs are incredibly bright. I have it in the bedroom and at night it's like having partly flashing (that's the 'Wireless' LED) roadwork lights in the room! Glad I didn't get the one with the blue lights. There are 4 LEDs on and one flashing (two flashing if the signal strength alternates). As the signal strength is only 2/5, I am saved having up to a further 3 LEDs on. The lights really don't need to be as bright as they are.

I also marked it down a bit because it was rather fiddly to find the optimum place to plug it in. My router is in the kitchen and my wifi devices in the bedroom are as far away from the router as it is possible to get and I used to get dropped from the internet during the night. With the extender on the landing, the signal strength of the extender was at 4 or 5/5 but in the bedroom the signal strength of the wifi devices was no stronger than before; right next to the wifi devices the extender was at 1 and the wifi devices at variously 4/4 and 1/4. The optimum position turned out to be on the other side of the bedroom (that is, a long way from the router and quite close to the wifi devices), where the signal strengths are 2/5 and 2/4 respectively. I've never been dropped from the internet since the extender was placed there. What I did find though was that a mobile wifi device (iPad mini) will stick with either the router or the extender so that moving between the two the signal will get weaker and I could be stood with the iPad right next to the router and the signal was really weak! This hasn't really been a problem since my initial experimentation, but I don't generally walk up and down the stairs with the iPad on - may be different if you use a mobile phone. But it may also be the case that the wifi device resets itself to the strongest signal source after a period of time (and certainly after switching off and on again, which I found a frustrating workaround when experimenting).

I marked it up a bit as well because of the low price.
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One of the main issues I see when I want to do something clever with my network is that is is usually so difficult to achieve and obtain the desired results. In this case, the object was to extend the wireless network 2 floors up so that the to bedroom has a great connectivity and a great bandwidth.

So since the issue was on the 2nd floor and I wanted better connectivity, I installed the unit using a power socket on the 1st floor landing. This worked perfectly and following the instructions to the letter, I managed to get a great bandwidth which now allos me to stream netflix (sorry, love film) at high quality without interruption.

This is easy to install and easy to understand. Much better than my previous attempts to.
on 25 September 2014
I am able to use the Range Extender to boost the signal to the end of my garden wirelessly, which is amazing. The goods were well packaged and received very quickly.

Why then am I only giving 4 stars?

The problem is that the unit is used almost every single day. At the end of the day the unit is switched off. Almost every few days of this the unit will not pick up the connection to the base which requires me to re-associate the unit to the base.
on 18 October 2013
I bought this unit as we live in a 3 storey mews house. Our wifi router is downstairs, and I occasionally like to use the internet on the 1st floor to watch a program on my laptop whilst in bed. iPlayer would previously skip and stutter when doing this, so the range extender seemed like a good solution.

It required the ethernet mode of setup, but then worked and boosted the wifi signal from previously 2 bars in the upstairs room to 4. iPlayer would then work seamlessly and played all programs without stuttering. I had to unplug the unit briefly, and when plugging it back in it was nice to see that it had retained the settings and came straight back up into use.

[December 2013 update - I have had to return this unit as it makes a very loud high pitched whining noise when plugged in. However, worse than that, it was interfering with our incoming broadband so badly that our download speed dropped from 9mbps to around 0.8mbps. After speaking to our provider I learned that it is quite common for wifi repeaters to do this, so I won't be buying another one to replace it with.
on 30 November 2013
I installed this a few days ago so cannot speak to it's longevity but first impressions are good. I purchased this product as I've just bought a new iPad Air and needed to extend my Wi-Fi range to my bedroom. It was very easy to set up: I used the WAP method. All I had to do was to press the WAP button on my VIrgin Media Router for a second or two then press the button on the extender to pair the two up. The extender had no problem finding my network and then it was just a case of finding suitable location for the extender.

My router was in a wooden closed cabinet which my TV sits on and I had to place it on top of the cabinet to improve the signal but that's not a big deal. I eventually placed the extender in a mains socket in my bedroom. Ideally, I'd have put it in a plug on the landing which is closer to the router but don't have one there so that was a no go. I also tried a plug in the spare back bedroom which is closer to the router but settled on it's current location in my bedroom.

There are lights on the router to indicate that the power is on, that it's connected to the network and the strength of the signal. There's also a light for the ethernet socket on the extender but I don't currently have anything connected to it via ethernet. Ideally, the instructions say that you should aim for at least three of the five signal strength lights to be lit. I could only manage to get two of mine lit but both my iPad and iPhone pick up the signal from the extender with no problems.

Before the product arrived I did think that maybe I should have gone for the 300Mps version but I've had no issues with the this 150Mps version and it's around £10 cheaper. You Tube videos play well on my iPad. They do buffer occasionally but not so much that it spoils my enjoyment of the video.

Once I'd set up the extender, I had to enter the password into my devices the first time I connected to the extender but that's just a one time thing, just like when you're connecting to the router itself. I have to connect the the extender manually when I'm in my bedroom via settings on my devices. It shows up as a separate network even though it's picking up the signal from my router. The password for the extender that I had to input initially though, is the same on as for my router so there's no real issues there.

In summary, this is a good product which is cheap and easy to set up. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to extend their Wi-Fi network to those previously uncovered areas of their homes or gardens.
on 1 June 2014
While the range of this booster is OK in the next room from the router, stepping outside that room the signal disappears. While most reviewers found set up was a doddle, and despite following set up instructions it just wouldn't 'set up'. I finally phoned the help line who spent 20 mins or more talking me through it, successfully .Luckily the call was toll free.
If you have a big house or long passages, you'll need the next upgrade from this
on 21 December 2014
Great product with visible results, works well and as intended. We have a relatively high bandwidth requirements in our house and this seems to manage with that, so for the average household it should work fine, otherwise it might be worth upgrading to the model up. Also has some useful features on the management page allowing you to further fine tune the settings to your requirements.
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A very neatly designed product. I know from experience that these wireless extenders can be a pain to set up. If you have a compatible router with the quick start button it should be a breeze, but in the past I've generally had to revert to manual set-up to get a good connection. As a tip from PC Advisor:

"The wizard simply requires you to select your existing network name, enter your password and click Finish. It's this last part that's a little confusing. After clicking the finish button we waited for an indication that the device had rebooted and was setup; but none came, no message, no change in Wi-Fi signal lights.

But disconnecting and reconnecting the power spurred the device into life and it then connected to the network without issue."

So the key seems to be, once you've run through the set up, disconnect/reconnect to reboot and you should be away.

At under £20, definitely one of the cheaper and simpler options for linking to that 'dead' zone, hooking up your TV to the wi-fi, etc.
on 11 July 2014
I guess that this is very much a hit and miss product depending on your set up, wall thickness etc etc. All I know is that there were several wi fi black holes inmy home and now i can get a wi fi signal throughout.

I'd highly recommend it ....although if you read the geeks on google they will tell you that these gadgets will in fact reduce the original signal.!!!!!!