Published 16 months ago by P. J. Salisbury

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems With Bt Home Hub 5
Sadly this TP-Link does not work with the BT Home Hub 5. Spoke to their tech people in China, who say there is a known issue with the Home Hub 5 and, they will be updating their firmware soon. How soon is soon I don't know. All I know is that so far this has been a waste of money.
Published 9 months ago by p evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Also brilliant for Ethernet connection to satellite box, game console, etc, 31 July 2013
P. J. Salisbury (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WA750RE 150Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function,Easy Configuration) (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I obtained this extender to improve coverage to the lounge and garden but have discovered it also does a brilliant job connecting to the blu-ray player, the game console, and the sat box for access to i-player etc. These devices are too far from the router for a direct, hard wire connection. I have read other reviews which say this extender doesn't work but I can only speak as I find and for me it has worked perfectly.

Our router is placed at the side of the upstairs landing. Using the router alone gives good upstairs coverage but there are corners of the lounge where laptops and tablets fail to connect and some devices won't work reliably outside in the garden.

Wi-Fi range extender
Being able to use a mains electrical socket to power the device directly seems to me a very handy way of doing things. I have a Netgear NG1000 router which is completely compatible with this unit. To set it up, the Simple Method worked first time: on the router press and hold the WPS button for two seconds until it stays lit continuously, press the connection button on the extender, wait a minute or so for the recognition to be completed automatically, take the extender unit to the location required.

Location: I plugged in the TL-WA750RE on the far side the lounge door, where even with the door shut it is able to pick up a signal at a 4 out of 5 strength from the router at least 25 feet away through a breeze-block wall and door.

Coverage: I now have full coverage in the lounge and kitchen. Also outside in the garden the signal strength has increased from 4 bars out of 5 to a full 5 bars.

Speed: The connection speed seems to be as fast as direct through the router.

Devices: Good results with a range of laptops and tablets, including a Nexus 7.

Entertainment Adaptor
The Ethernet socket in the underside of the extender allows connection to other devices which are too far from the router for a direct hard-wired connection. I used the Ethernet cable supplied with the TP-Link to connect it to each of the following devices:
-Satellite decoder - the sat box recognised the router even before I had found the menu item to check if it had connected. It gave immediate access to BBC i-player and itv-player, both of which worked perfectly. Again, this was at the far end of the lounge, more than 25 feet from the router.
-Blu-ray player - the player found the connection to the internet extremely quickly. The check for updates was also fast.
-Games console - at first the console said it couldn't connect but when the on-screen menu system was used to test the connection, it found it with no trouble.

Connecting directly to the supposedly internet ready TV set didn't work at all, even when I manually put in all the IP addresses, gateway, DNS server addresses, etc. Given it worked so well on the other AV gadgets, and having been previously unimpressed with the performance of the TV, I would fault the TV on this, not the range extender. Bear in mind that if you do use this to connect to i-player etc, watching on a big screen TV may not give the usual broadcast quality.

A small, handy piece of kit which works surprisingly well!

5.0 out of 5 stars smart, 19 Sep 2013
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
this is a basic Wi-Fi extender
I have one of these it is ideal to use a computer or a smart tv in the bedroom
not having to run ethernet cables up the walls is a relief
150mbps means that only one thing can be used at a time

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to set up - WiFi now covers whole house and garden, 4 Jun 2014
To be fair, I had a very low benchmark as I have the dubious honour of being landed with the notoriouly uber-crap Virgin Media Superhub 1. Reliable wifi coverage extended only to 5m or so from the router. At the opposite corner of the house - and upstairs - it was very hit and miss. Hardly any signal at all in the garden (although plenty from the neighbours). I flirted with the idea of running a second wifi router. this was better but not that great. It also needed resetting, every so often. Then I bought a second router with detatchable antennas and connected a Yagi. This worked better still but the sysem is highly directional and the office was starting to look like GCHQ.

I'd read some glowing reports on the latest (300Mbps) version of this extender so thought I'd give this one a try. Long story short: success! I used the second suggested method of pairing it up with my current Virgin router and it all worked straight away. Once set up plugged the extender in at the top of the stairs......maximumm strength on the Android phone. And was there connectivity? Yep, about 10Mbps: plenty for my browsing and streaming needs. The main PC is hard-wired to the Virgin router but everything else runs off the wifi: Another PC upstairs, two laptops, an internet radio and a phone or two. Admittedly, not all at the same time. This system has been running for two weeks. In that time I have had to power cycle the extender twice as the Android phone had lost connectivity (all other devices OK tho). The house (and garden) is nicely flooded with wifi now and it makes 'doing stuff' a pleasure, not a chore. Happy to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 21 Oct 2013
I bought this to help out with my parents house (very thick walls so the wireless doesn't extend very far, I was amazed at how easy they were to set up and how effectively they worked, I would recommend them without reservation. I have also now used the built in wired network and this was as easy as connecting the cable. Fantastic product

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great! beware, some manual config may be needed, 12 Oct 2013
-Used with Netgear DG834GT-

Got my Netgear DG834T upstairs but wireless coverage in the downstairs extension was really bad. Got this TP Link TL-WA750RE and thought it would work according to the setup instructions but did not. For others it may work straight away but I had to manually change the network settings to get it working and now it works absolutely great, I've got great signal strength downstairs!!

Changing the DHCP settings
With the default DHCP setting it made the default gateway the same IP as the TP link extender itself (192.168.0.254), it should be the same as the IP address of the main ADSL router in your house so I changed that ( in my case 192.168.0.1). I also chose to change both the DNS servers to the main ADSL router (192.168.0.1)

It then started working for my iPhone and iPad but for some reason not for my MacBook Pro. I then had to change default gateway on the LAN address of the TP device itself from 192.168.0.254 to 192.168.0.1 (address of my ADSL router). Then I got it working for my MacBook Pro no problem and all other devices still work.

So beware, if you don't have some knowledge about networks you may think that the product does not work at all, but if you make the right changes it should work and it works great!. Don't think it's mentioned in the setup instructions but maybe in the support forums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you would expect, 10 Jan 2014
Arrived on time.
Product exactly as described.
It took me literally 30 seconds to get working from plugging it in, instructions were very clear and easy to follow.
Works a treat, overall a great product, looks nice, good quality feel to it - highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit, 14 Oct 2013
Bought this with not much hope of it working & wow i was wrong, good bit of kit, i have low broadband signal so to recive it in the front room was virtualy nil, put the tp link in, great got nearly all the bars on my wifi lit up. Tip, plug it in near your router, press wps on the unit then on the router, when its lit up, re plug it were you want it, job done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - recommended, 17 Jun 2014
The extender was very easy to set up using my router's WPS button - that is, the automated set-up; I don't know what the manual set-up would be like if your router doesn't have a WPS button. The set up instructions are very clear and are essentially: 1. Plug into a socket right by your router; 2. Carefully follow the instructions - and have patience!; 3. Unplug and try in various other sockets until you have good coverage for your home or business premises - by "try", I mean plug in and leave it alone until it has made its connection to your router.

I gave it 4 stars because the LEDs are incredibly bright. I have it in the bedroom and at night it's like having partly flashing (that's the 'Wireless' LED) roadwork lights in the room! Glad I didn't get the one with the blue lights. There are 4 LEDs on and one flashing (two flashing if the signal strength alternates). As the signal strength is only 2/5, I am saved having up to a further 3 LEDs on. The lights really don't need to be as bright as they are.

I also marked it down a bit because it was rather fiddly to find the optimum place to plug it in. My router is in the kitchen and my wifi devices in the bedroom are as far away from the router as it is possible to get and I used to get dropped from the internet during the night. With the extender on the landing, the signal strength of the extender was at 4 or 5/5 but in the bedroom the signal strength of the wifi devices was no stronger than before; right next to the wifi devices the extender was at 1 and the wifi devices at variously 4/4 and 1/4. The optimum position turned out to be on the other side of the bedroom (that is, a long way from the router and quite close to the wifi devices), where the signal strengths are 2/5 and 2/4 respectively. I've never been dropped from the internet since the extender was placed there. What I did find though was that a mobile wifi device (iPad mini) will stick with either the router or the extender so that moving between the two the signal will get weaker and I could be stood with the iPad right next to the router and the signal was really weak! This hasn't really been a problem since my initial experimentation, but I don't generally walk up and down the stairs with the iPad on - may be different if you use a mobile phone. But it may also be the case that the wifi device resets itself to the strongest signal source after a period of time (and certainly after switching off and on again, which I found a frustrating workaround when experimenting).

I marked it up a bit as well because of the low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required update but brilliant after that!, 5 Oct 2013
Once I had update the firmware (can be downloaded from the TP link website), this product is brilliant. Where I did not get a signal, I now get a clear and reliable connection. I work from home so a reliable connection is important but this exceeds all my expectations!

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems With Bt Home Hub 5, 4 Feb 2014