5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a dry shaver that doesnt hurt me!
My skin hates shaving and has done so ever since I started shaving 17 years ago. I have tried countless dry shavers and end up with terrible skin rash on my neck. Wet shaving has always been the lessor of two evils and this has been my main method of shaving for many years, but this new shaver has totally changed my life.

I know that's a strong claim but I have...
Published 13 months ago by Mellow Yellow

2.0 out of 5 stars Revised after 4 months of use.
After 4 months use I have now revised my star rating from 5 stars to 2 stars for the following reason.

The shaver now feels like the blades are totally blunt. It feels like it is trying to pull the hairs out of my face rather than cutting them and it is now impossible to get a decent shave. I really would expect more from such an expensive product...
Published 14 months ago by S. Horrigan

2.0 out of 5 stars Revised after 4 months of use., 23 May 2013
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Braun CoolTec CT2s Electric Shaver with Active Cooling Technology (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Original review posted below as some of it is still relevant.

*****************************************************************************************************

I have always used electric razors for my entire adult life and generally prefer a rotary razor to a foil type. I also have extremely sensitive skin and am very prone to razor burn. I also have always had a long transition period whenever I have changed from a rotary to a foil razor or back again.

It was with these things in mind that I read the specification of this razor and looked with interest at the claims about its cooling technology.

Unpacking the razor, you find it has a two part charging cradle that you have to assemble - I must admit that like at least one other reviewer, I found it not at all obvious where you had to plug the power lead in to the cradle! I found it eventually though.

The cradle has two metal contacts that meet with two similar contacts on the razor itself. When contact is made the unit beeps and the battery light flashes to show the unit is charging.

After a surprisingly short time the razor said it was fully charged - and so to the first shave...

Amazing is all I can say!

The cooling bar really does work, giving your face and neck a lovely cold sensation as you shave. The shave itself was as good as any new razor I have ever had - and my wife actually says she thinks my face feels smoother than ever.

Possibly even better though is that after a week of shaving with this razor, I have had no razor burn whatsoever - not even a trace! This is even more amazing when you consider that up until last week I was using a rotary razor and it is well known that it can take time for your skin to adapt to changing the type of razor you use.

A few final comments - the build quality feels great! You can use the razor in the shower (or up to 5 meters underwater should you have any cause to do so) - You can wash it clean under the tap - and it even in my opinion looks good with the blue LED "Ice" symbol lit up.

Overall I am extremely impressed with this razor - Highly recommended indeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic build quality not matched by performance, 1 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Braun shaver is a wonderful testament to Braun's build quality. It is not too heavy but weighty enough to give you an assurance that it will last. The removal blade simple to deal with and the units holder (which comes in two parts) easy to put together and charge the unit from. This particular Braun model comes with a blue button on it with a snowflake symbol. Press it and the shaver head becomes cold, in turn soothing your face as you shave. Perhaps the reason it is seen fit to inculde this button is because it takes so long to shave with. Despite the superb build quality I have found performance to be largely wanting. It takes ages to get even a decent finish and frankly that is just too long in comparison to my old wet razor. Part of the allure of these types of products are that they offer a quicker alternative to older methods but this Braun fails in that regard. I've been using it for a month now and although built to last (sorry to go on but it is genuinely impressive) the flaw in performance is hard to ignore.

I have to say the 'cold' button does work but feels more of a gimmick. I'd much rather have a shaver that shaves to a close finish. All in all I am sure Braun will keep producing improved models of shavers - after all they've been doing it for long enough. But right now I'd suggest you take your time before taking the plunge. This particular Braun has its merits - it will depend on what you as a buyer are mainly looking for. I'd have thought its ultimate performance would be the number 1 priority and for me right now this doesn't quite cut it. I'd be interested to see if they develop a better blade - if they do and it works this would be great. As it is I feel it is good - not quite good enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gimmicky and average..., 18 Jun 2013
M. Price (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Upon unboxing the shaver it felt and looked like a really top end product, it charges whilst resting in the holster. This review is based upon a day, two day , four day and almost a week of stubble so have given it various chances.

The cooling element albeit quirky and a little bit of a gimmick does get cold very quickly but doesn't prevent the electric razor burn post shave - I feel you still need aftershave or post shave balm of some description...

Side burn trimmer could be a little more beefy / wider too, it's that slim that you strugle to get a nice neat level line.

Where this product lets itself down is the fact that you've been rubbing it over your face and hearing lots of cutting and clipping noises of the blades against your stubble only to find some patches that have had little to no effect, ok for an underwater shaver or the lazy bloke that wants a shave in the shower or something!

So in summary if you've got a few quid to waste on a gimmick this one is for you - it's a good product but suffers doing the job properly in my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Braun v Philips, 11 Jun 2013
W. Rodick (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 7:49 Mins

Strange thing is I'm more likely to shave daily with the Braun. I don't press as hard with that more powerful motor. I get-up have quick Braun shave but trim with the Philips.

1. The Braun is waterproof - can be used in shower
2. Philishave is 'Aquagenic' so can be washed under tap
3. Braun side trimmer is useless
4. Philips' trimmer is wider and works
5. I love the minutes left window in Philips (max 60mins)
6. The Braun has a built-in refrigerator - reducing redness
7. Braun ideal in car for late meeting - no red marks before you even shake hands!
8. Braun transformer in two-pin plug not ideal (see video)
9. They are both electric shavers
10. Suspect sixty quid shavers in local supermarket shave the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a dry shaver that doesnt hurt me!, 30 May 2013
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I know that's a strong claim but I have been under a dermatologist at the hospital for my shaving rash so I was extremely sceptical when I saw this razor. I just thought it was another shaver with a bold claim that wouldn't live up to to any of them in use. However, Braun have invented a shaver which stays cold and cools the skin! I don't know how it works, all I know is that whilst my rash has not vanished, it is the best it has been for many years and I am delighted.

The build quality is superb and its heavy and chunky to use without being too clumsy. Charging is fast and it lasts a long time on a single charge.

I have found that if you use this everyday it reduces the amount of shaving required in one sitting so further reduces the stress on the skin.

Thank you Braun for a product which has genuinely helped me with a lifelong problem - People may think I'm exaggerating but truly I am not. I have used Fucidin Steroid cream on prescription for years and I have finally found something that truly works.

I cannot praise this product highly enough.

UPDATE (31st July 2013) - I am shocked and disgusted to say that this product has stopped working! I was delighted with its performance but in just a few weeks the cooling function has failed which has left me with a bulk standard twin foil shaver. For a shaver costing 200 (RRP) then this should be better. I realise I may just be unlucky but please keep your receipt in case it goes wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shaver, 7 Mar 2014
I. Thomas (wales) - See all my reviews
Bought for my elderly Dad as I already had the CT5. Excellent shave and the cooling system takes the irritation out of the process.

3.0 out of 5 stars close but hard work, 8 Jun 2013
M. J. Collins "mjc121" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have recently gone back to going clean shaven at times and I used to have one of those disk style electric razors. When this came up in vine I thought I would give it a try out.

I am of an age to remember a certain electric razor which was marketed 'as close as a blade or your money back' well this razor did achieve a close shave but a blade would have been quicker and easier to use. I am not saying that this razor is bad it just took longer to shave my face using it than I thought it would.

The razor has a double foil cutter and a middle cutter as well as a so-called 'cool effect' metal wedge type thing. The charging station is easy to put together and a full charge takes about an hour. Without using the cool effect this gives about 45 minutes of shaving time. With the power hungry cool effect on this is massively reduced to 15 minutes. You also have the option of just doing a quick 5 minute charge which should give you enough charge for a single shave but doing this too often doesn't do the battery much good.

I find that this cool effect system is far too easy to turn on (and off) during shaving as it is a button on the front just above the off/on button. The charger comes with the standard two pin shaver plug so unless you have one of those sockets in your bathroom you will need to buy a separate adapter.

The razor does fit well in the hand and the rubberised coating does prevent it from slipping when in use. It is, however, quite heavy but I suppose it does indicate that it is well made and won't drop to bits in a few months. The cutting foils do produce good close results but it needs a lot of working over my face and neck to achieve the results I get from a blade. Although this could just be the shape of my face. Whilst this has become easier and quicker the more times I use it, a blade razor would still produce just as good a result in a shorter time. Whilst the idea of the 'cool effect' is novel one I personally don't see the advantage in it as I have used the razor with this both on and off and I have not noticed any difference in either the closeness of the shave or the comfort of it. The difference, however, may be more noticeable to those with more sensitive skin.

The size of the shaving head is fairly large and covers a good area of the face in one go. The shaving head is easy to remove to enable cleaning of the razor. Also the shaving head cover is easily put on and removed. A small brush is provided again to help with the cleaning of the razor. Also there is a small bottle of mineral oil which you are advised to use once a week if you clean the shaver head with water after each use. The small clipper on the reverse side to the controls does provide a quick way to trim sideburns etc and this is not so easily turned on during normal use nor is it flimsy like so many others can be.

There is a 'travel lock' on the razor to prevent it being turned on whilst the razor is in your case if you take it traveling with you. However, this is not fool proof. If the on/off button is pressed for more than 3 seconds this unlocks it and then switches the razor on. Whilst I realise it is unlikely that this will happen in your case it is not impossible.

Unfortunately there is no travel case with this particular model but you can't have everything.

The instruction book is nice and clear and is in a number of languages and the print is of a good size so you don't need a magnifying glass to read it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 10 Oct 2013
Very disappointed with this razor, takes an eternity to shave and the cooling
gadget works 5 times before there is not enough charge for it to work. It then
becomes just another Braun razor. I have just bought another Philips which
I should have stuck to in the first. Completely useless.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK product., 2 April 2014
it's a product with average quality. not as good as I thought. It's not bad, but i can't say it's good, It is just OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than Sky plus!, 19 Jan 2014
I've had this razor since Xmas and to say it has changed my life is no lie! For years I have suffered with shaving rashes etc and like most people I then sort of grow a beard for a week , then shave for the weekend.

Not any more! I now shave every day, every day! My goodness the thing is a miracle of German engineering I saw the ad like everyone else and thought, no prayed, this could be the one! Very Matrix like indeed, I digress, anyhow a cool button? I wanted one and left adverts out for the Mrs after cutting them out of every magazine I could.

She got the hint and on Xmas day I opened up this new gadget that I just knew was going to be awesome! It fricking was, awesome,gorgeous,biblical,sexy and best of all it had a cool button! But did it work? He'll yeah it worked, I know not how it works it magic ,but that cool button on it's own is better than Sky plus!

Once I press that big blue button, I'm in heaven! A wave of coolness just hits my skin and it's like shaving with a block of ice at the end of your razor! Incredible it really does work, No more rashes ever! Wow what a product.....buy one it will really change your life.

This thing of beauty is best used when dry so ignore idiots who say it doesn't work when wet shaving....it's not supposed too.