5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful show, beautiful music!
Highly recommended. If you didn't get to see the broadway show, i'm sorry to say, this CD will make you want to, 10x more than what you wanted to see it before!

Beautiful music, beautifully performed. A must for musical theatre lovers!
Published 17 months ago by Lively

3.0 out of 5 stars At least a recording was made
At least the show was recorded. Not the best show ever but not the worst. Shows about silent movies don't seem to work
Published 11 months ago by Richard W White

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful show, beautiful music!, 8 Feb 2013

Beautiful music, beautifully performed. A must for musical theatre lovers!

4.0 out of 5 stars An "Old-School" Musical Feel, 21 May 2013
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As my review title states I think this musical has an 'old-school' feeling. It reminds me most of Jerry Herman's classic musical 'Mack & Mabel', but there are also elements of 'Oliver' and, more modern shows like 'Secret Garden'.

I collect musicals so once I saw a few good reviews for this show I decided to buy the CD. I was not disappointed. It's melodic, touching and clever. If you're unaware of Charlie's story then I'd suggest watching Richard Attenborough's wonderful film 'Chaplin'. That will give you a pocket history of the diminutive star (played to perfection by the amazing Robert Downey Jr.).
Having seen the aforementioned film, I had no problem understanding the story on the CD, which though different, has some common ground.

There is a definite 'classic hollywood musical' feel to this show - which could be why it only lasted four months on Broadway. But if you love musicals then this is a must-own, or must-hear. I'm very pleased I bought it and I know it will get listened to often.

3.0 out of 5 stars At least a recording was made, 29 Aug 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable but..., 8 Jun 2013
Roger Rebec "Roger Rebec" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
good though it is, there is only really one number that sticks in the mind. The cast performs well and everything about this recording is very good. The difficulty comes when you ask yourself what you want to hear. If it's an integrated score with one memorable tune, this will fit the bill but if you want something like "Oklahoma!" or "South Pacific", this will fall short.
I love Sondheim's "Sunday in the Park with George" and I'm not afraid of scores considered "difficult" but I don't see myself returning to "Chaplin" on a regular basis. I can understand why the show didn't run, which is a pity because it is very good bu,t with theatre tickets the price they are these days, very good isn't quite good enough.
Died in the wool lovers of musical theatre will enjoy this. Casual purchasers would do better to look elsewhere.

Chaplin: The Musical