4.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Alight Here
A fascinating book. Beautiful quality paper and illustrations. Would have appreciated a map showing the adjacent (surrounding) areas of the various walks.
Published on 9 July 2012 by J. Bugden

3.0 out of 5 stars Good walking guide
Published on 11 Feb. 2012 by Bought it on Tinternet

3.0 out of 5 stars Good walking guide, 11 Feb. 2012
I have enjoyed reading this book and it describes some interesting walks with little-known facts about the underground system. Unfortunately, it doesn't include any maps - I think this would have really enhanced my enjoyment of the book, particularly where it describes the interaction of the different companies that built the underground and how stations were affected by their proximity to other lines. I shall still enjoy the walks, but once I have done them there will be little more I can get from the book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Alight Here, 9 July 2012
J. Bugden (N) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's need an Oyster Card?, 19 Dec. 2011
Got this book as a present for someone else but ended up keeping it for myself! Has lots of stuff about London I never knew, including places I've walked by every day for years and not noticed. I've done two of the walks and they were well informed with good directions. The best bit for me is the tube journeys section. I heard people talk about `ghost' stations before but I didn't really see what the fuss was about. But now I've seen some for myself I for one am hooked. Highly recommended, and I'm not even a Tube buff. Or maybe I am now?

2.0 out of 5 stars Real shame - no maps, and no distances listed, 12 Jun. 2013
Had high hopes for these walks;
however, won't be doing any more after the first one.
No maps, and no indication of the distance of the walk.
How did you figure it would take 2 hours, 35 minutes...?

5.0 out of 5 stars A find, 27 Dec. 2011
It's a fascinating book for those who like to know what went before; what a building they've noticed used to be, and who like to nose around finding "leftovers" which have somehow escaped demolition/modernisation. It's a book to make you open your eyes and look around - particularly but not only for Underground and railway enthusiasts. I don't live in London any more but I've been reading it with Google Street View in front of me which is very satisfactory for a lot of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on the tracks, 7 Aug. 2012
Another present for my Dad, who never tires of pointing out the remnants of Bermondsey station platforms when on the train from Sidcup to town. He was extremely happy with this and intends to follow a lot of the walks, exploring where the train lines used to run and mourning the defunct station buildings. The descriptions seem quite precise and the book is a handy size to carry with him. Although a map lover, he wasn't bothered that this didn't contain any because the photos make stuff easy to locate.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for present, 9 May 2013
This book is very intereting for you loves trains and likes to walk, the photos are great and it is really very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Urban walks with a difference, 20 Feb. 2013
Worth further exploration when in London and feeling like exploring the quirkier aspects of the Capital's transport system which has changed a lot since the 1940's when I first used it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic way to investigate hidden London, 9 April 2012
I am addicted to walking the streets of London and I'm always looking out for the next London walk book to follow.

Following the walks in this book I've discovered not only the disused stations etc. but also whole areas of London that I hardly knew at all.

The fact that there are no maps has forced me to use my A to Z which makes the walks feel much more like an adventure. The directions and pictures are useful and I've enjoyed trawling the net after each walk for more information on the places I've visited.

I'm halfway through the walks and looking forward to the train journeys that feature later in the book.

Excellent walk book, well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT ALIGHT HERE, 25 July 2012
A wealth of information not only about closed stations but also of some which were built but never opened. A facination which I will keep and dip into from time-to-time. A railway classic!

Do Not Alight Here