1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, 8 Aug 2013
Greg A. (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Johnson - Blues Master Works (Double Vinyl LP + CD and Digital Download) [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The concept of including a cd and a download with a vinyl lp seems quite new, but it makes for an interesting package. When i first became interested in Robert Johnson, I was prepared to buy one of the classic compilation albums containing all his work. When I waited for a newer issue to come out, i found this, and bought it virtually as soon as it came out. The package when unwrapped features only the sepia guitar picture with no title on the cover.

The CD was contained in a small cut in the gatefold. to me this seemed prone to ripping, and i cant imagine it did the second lp a lot of good, but it seemed fine. The disk is of a standard quality, and the lp's were 180g, and although i am yet to play them, they appear to be in good condition with no warping, scratches or dents-a new record. My issue arose when i tried to log in to the website; Not needing the download, but I wanted a hi-res copy of the cover for my media player. The webpage game me a 404 error. Since then i haven't tried again, but it still irritated me.

As for the album itself; Robert Johnson has never sounded better. The recordings are very clean for their age, and it sounds no worse than an album from the mid to late fifties, even though they were recorded in the thirties. This double album contains nearly all his recorded work, and at a very high quality. I haven't listened to the LP's yet, and I'm not sure if they will be analog from tape or from new digital masters. Either way, it's nice to have them on a more tactile medium than CDs. Well worth buying if you want most of Johnson's recordings, or if you want them on a more artistic medium.