The Mili Power Spring 5 is a very neat and very clever little device.

On first impressions it looks like a very nicely made protective hard case for the iPhone 5. It's beautifully finished and is available in several attractive pastel colours and black or white.

The best part though is that the case is also an extended 2200mah battery for the phone. As the standard iPhone 5 battery is between 1440mah and 1570mah (depending on the model), the extra battery power is enough to more than double your phone's battery life.

Fitting the case is simple - the phone just clips in with little effort. The inside of the case has a soft rubber backing so that the back of your phone is protected from scratches.

To use the battery power pack you need to un-clip the lighting connector cable from the Power Spring 5 and insert it in to your phone (see video for demonstation).

The case does of course add some weight to your phone - I weighed the case at 70 grams, but it doesn't look or feel excessively big or heavy once on the phone.

My favourite feature of the case though, is that it charges via a standard micro USB cable (provided). Also, if the lightning connection is plugged in to your phone, the phone will charge first, then the case. This means you are able to charge your iPhone from any standard micro USB charger!

At the bottom of the back of the case is little button and four tiny blue status LEDs to display how much charge is left in the case. (again see video)

Another good point is that the headphone jack on the bottom of your iPhone is still accessible.

I am really impressed with this case/battery pack. It looks good, it feels very well made; it is simple to use; it more than doubles your phones battery life and it lets you charge your iPhone from a micro usb charger. What more could you want!

Thanks to Solememo for providing me with a sample for this review.

Edit 5/5/2014: - remastered video reducing video music volume and muting background noise.
on 7 February 2014
I've been through several, and without doubt this is the best overall. The iPhone 5 is poorly designed to have the headphone jack at the bottom, however with this design you can plug any headphones in (other models are very restrictive, some ludicrously don't even fit the bundled headphones, while others only those with very thin plugs while this works with my Senheissers). The battery life is very good (more than some competitors claiming larger capacity), it's fine with OS7 and and it doesn't obstruct the speakers or camera. It's about the only one to charge logically too - it first charges the phone then the battery, and the status lights aren't super-bright and gaudy to make you think the police are outside your house at night. The only gripe design-wise is I'd prefer a lightning connector to the micro USB, which seems very loose, and the connector can come out easily when charging.

The reason for only three stars is that I'm about to get my third unit. The first failed after 4 weeks, the second lasted about 4 months. Both times everything was fine til it simply stopped working - while the battery still charged, it no longer charged the iPhone. No-one else reporting this - maybe I've just been very unlucky?

However - and this is important - the retailer zero 50 have been excellent with regard to customer services. Both times they've shipped out a replacement very quickly and included stuff to return the broken one. Here's hoping third time's the charm.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 July 2013
Arrived ultra quick! Brilliant fit and enhances the overall look of my beloved iPhone 5!! It adds a little extra weight to the phone but it is very pleasing to handle - feels substantial! The lightning gizmo is neatly stored and very easy to connect to the phone if the battery is waning. Well worth the money!!

HELP: The only problem I have encountered is that the case "blurs" the pics taken when flash is used? Is there any way round this slightly irksome problem?
on 22 July 2013
The iPhone 5, whilst being a great smartphone does not have a great battery - especially if, like me, you need Bluetooth on all day. The Mili doubles your battery life while also providing the protection of a hard shell. I have one for my 3GS too and it looks and performs as well as the day I bought it - really great products from a fine company.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 May 2013
I wanted a battery pack to extend the life of my iPhone when out camping. It arrived a day earlier than the estimated delivery date using super saver delivery.

The battery pack fits the iPhone5 well and feels safely gripped, all the buttons/ports are free, especially at the bottom. This is why I went for this pack rather than the others on the market as I use the Apple 30 pin to lightning connector to connect the iPhone5 to my car and I have no problem connecting the iPhone5 + battery.

You need to plug the battery pack into the lightning connector via the cable on the battery pack to get it to charge but I don't see that as an issue.

Overall, only had it a day but I like it.
on 2 July 2014
I bought this for my wife as she is capable of draining her iPhone 5 before lunchtime. It took her a while to get used to it, but now it goes with her much of the time. It makes the iPhone heavier and thicker, but by no means too much so, and it clips so securely to it that it feels as if it was made that way. Indeed, if Apple made an iPhone this size and weight with three times the battery life I would buy it straight away. Battery life is the major failing of all smartphones.
You have to wait until the iPhone is down to about 20% charge, and then there is a tiny tail which detaches from the bottom of the Mili and plugs very neatly into the lightning socket. The phone then charges at normal speed. When it is up to about 80% charge it is best to unplug the Mili and let the phone run down before trying again, as the phone seems to use more power when it is charging for some reason. You can usefully do this about twice on one Mili charge.
To charge, the Mili has to be plugged into a USB power source using a micro-USB connector - the standard one for almost all phones now, apart from Apple of course. At the same time the iPhone can be charged with a lightning lead. We use a dual-outlet charger and two leads for this. The Mili has a very clear charge indicator on it.
If both iPhone and Mili are flat, if you only have one charger outlet which you connect to the Mili, and if you then connect the iPhone to the Mili as well, it does seem to give the iPhone enough charge to be able to use it, though I don't know how sensible that is.
A nicely made product which is thoroughly recommended for all those who put high (normal?) demands on their iPhones.
on 21 October 2013
Like most users of apple we are to stuck in our way and like to buy the next gimmick, the only point here is apple battery life is just horrendous. I travel to London everyday and the 3 hour train time without using my phone users about 20%. This device although a little heavier was spot on and does what it says on the tin. There are plenty of them out there but this was pretty good and would definetly buy it. The funny part here as well is the cover can be charged by my blackberry charger which has really come in handy.
on 12 March 2015
This battery case ticks all of the boxes.
1. Dimensions: fits well around iphone 5 without materially changing height or width. battery increases only depth and weight (acceptable differences)
2. Power: does what it is meant to do and enables my iphone 5 to work for a full day instead of running out at lunchtime
3. Access to port and jack: lightning port and earphone jack are accessible. unlike a lot of other cases that actually cover them, forcing you to use jack extenders or to take the case off if you want to place your iphone on a dock. in fact, this case allows me to continue using my iphone on jbl and sony docks without having to remove the case (I do have to angle the iphone slightly)
4. charging: charges fast using a micro usb cable. you can actually charge both the battery and iphone at the same time by plugging in the case to the iphone while charging the case. that's one less cable and charger to carry around.
on 11 March 2014
Smart & Slim MiLi iPhone 5 Battery Case

LIKES

* Nice Minimalist Design
* Piano White Exterior Finish
* Light Grey Rubberised Textured Interior Finish
* Almost The Same Size As iPhone 5 - Does Not Unnecessarily Elongate The iPhone
* Open & Direct Access To Headphones Jack - So Easy To Plug In Any 3.5 mm Mini Jack Plugs!
* Both iPhone 5 & MiLi Battery Case Can Be Charged Simultaneously (Using Respective Charging Cables)
* Or Powering MiLi Battery Case With In-built Lighting Plug Connected To iPhone 5 Will Charge iPhone 5 First
* Small Button & Tiny LED Blue Power Lights For Case
* Light Weight of 78 gms

DISLIKES
Maybe The White Case Surround
- Clear Perspex Surround Would Make The Battery Case Look Extra Slim!

Roughly doubles my power time!
on 3 January 2014
I always do a lot of search before buying anything really, I found it one of the best battery case. It can charge 100% even if you used it while you charging. There are few problems but it is still the best comparing to all the other in the market.

+Positive points:
+The smallest and the thinnest battery case size by comparison.
+Doesn't have the extra bit at the bottom.
+Not heavy.
+Your phone can work for two days.
+Charges 100%

-Negative points:
-The photo (blurs) if you uses the flash. for me wasn't that bad because I easily remove the case to take them if it is that necessarily.
-The battery get warmer and warmer during charging (especially if you are using it while you charging).

Overall I recommend buying it.