5.0 out of 5 stars Very good NAS drive
Bought this to replace an aging Netgear product; very impressed with all the features included with the Diskstation, particularly the home cloud option which is easy to set up. User interface (Diskstation Manager) is fairly intuitive and there is no need to do anything via the command line. I also like the fact that you can choose which packages to install, rather than...
Published 19 months ago by Simon Nicholson

2.0 out of 5 stars Get DS215J - new replacement model!
Would not recommend since you can get the Dual Core replacement model DS215J cheaper now! £149 compared to £154!
Published 4 months ago by Konrad & Slawek

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformed my viewing pleasure, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
This product is amazing. Plugged in my internal hard drive, copied everything over (do this via windows explorer, not over the internet), now I can stream all my media via my streamer directly to my TV, 24 hours a day, without having my PC on. That's just the start of what it can do...

5.0 out of 5 stars You gets what you pay for., 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I've had external hard drives before (2 Iomega Network Drives - Cloud Edition and a WD My Book) both used for storing and accessing photo, video and music on various TV's and pc,s around the house via my home network.
My other drives were single drives. Both Iomegas failed - one disastrously losing all data, the other I caught before total failure.
This made me re-think my storage options.
So after a lot of research I hit on Synology.
It comes without drives. So for a case alone it does sound very expensive. But really what you are paying for is the control and software side of the product. This is where it excels.

The case looks good, is quiet and is simple to open and install your hard drives (sold separately)

If you haven't had a NAS drive before it can be a bit daunting. But for a twin drive system - where the second drive is an exact copy of the first (for back-up) then its just a simple case of following the install instructions and selecting the default settings.

It takes a long - no, a REALLY long time to format the drives - many hours - but once done its straight forward to use.

There are a lot of apps you can install to make using the device better.

Media Server is the main one you MUST install if you want your TV's etc to see the drive on your network - took me a while to figure that out as all my other previous drives were found as soon as they were plugged into the network. This is it's only fault.

I fitted two 4TB drives in my system - ensure they are NAS compatible - they tend to run at the slightly slower spin speed of 5600rpm.

By default my drive now sits quietly awaiting a query from the network. It takes about 10 seconds to wake up and performs faultlessly.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a lot of data they want to share and protect.

5.0 out of 5 stars after 2 years..., 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I've had my Synology box for well over 2 years now, and the 1TB disk is nearly full so needs expanding (3TB, I think). Stores mostly in excess of 60,000 photos, mostly RAW as I'm a keen photographer, ripped DVDs and our entire music collection plus the usual odds'n'sods from the rest of the family. As an IT professional it works on a number of levels. Full 1Gbs, The command line is easily accessible, it has a mail server, MySQL, I run my web site off it, I run a Wordpress blog off it, and so on. Synology (the company) have excellent support, the DSM (desktop manager) is regularly updated, as are the packages. I run VMware lab on a Dell server with an iSCSI connection using jumbo frames to the NAS and it hasn't missed a beat. Get one. You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected for a budget model, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
Just upgraded on of my two NAS's from DS211j and I have to say this is a worth while upgrade.
Backups from my pc have increased from about 25mbps to around 40 and up to 50mbps. Also the OS runs a lot faster and boots up and shuts down quicker. I have been a Synology fan for a number of years and this unit although badged as a budget NAS is a bargain for the money and a first class introduction to Synology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, highly recommended, 17 Dec. 2013
Neil - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I bought this NAS as I wanted something to stream music and videos without having to keep my computer switched on.

Installation is easy - open the box, insert 1-2 HDDs, close the box. And that's it! The NAS does come with some software to install, but it's straightforward. The software is very easy to use and has enough options to satisfy most users; the NAS is actually accessed via a web browser. There are some nice touches, such as iPhone apps (so that you can view media and on smartphones, etc). The Synology application website also had a good range of software (the Synology products are free, some others charge for their software applications). Items such as anti-virus, are free and definitely worth installing.

The NAS box itself is quite sturdy, has a few LEDs on the front and USB/LAN ports on the back. There is a LED to indicate power, one for each HDD, one for standby and one to indicate LAN activity. The power switch is also on the front and fan on the back. It's quiet. One of the biggest selling points (in my mind) is that it takes seconds to warm up from standby. This is really important as it means the NAS can go into standby after x minutes of no usage and then start up again very quickly. Switching on from unpowered is also quite fast (certainly much faster than my old IOmega NAS, which used to take minutes!).

I've used the NAS with 2x 3TB WD Red HDDs which are perfect for this setup. There are a number of RAID options (you can check the various options on the Synology website), which can meet all of your needs; I've gone for one which mirrors the HDDs whilst allowing for a lot of file structure flexibility. It's also possible to backup the NAS with another NAS, either on the same LAN or remotely (although I haven't set this bit up yet).

I've plugged my Synology into my broadband router (which gives it LAN and internet access). I also use it to provide the music files for a Sonos system, which works well. I also use it with an Apple Mac (Mountain Lion) and Windows PC (Win 7) with no problems. As I mentioned earlier, setup is very easy. Note that I'd recommend doing the full HDD test when you first install the HDDs as it'll help to detect any problems at the outset (there's an option in the Synology menu and it takes a few hours to run).

I couldn't rate this product higher. It's a bit more expensive than some of the alternatives, but it's worth the difference (I've used other NAS' before and the Synology box is far superior).

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else compares to this..., 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I have looked at numerous options for NAS drives but eventually settled on this unit with 2 x WD Red 3TB drives. The unit is quick to set up and indexes photos pretty quickly. 10,000 high res shots were done over night. Apps seem to work well. All round you won't find a better drive on the market. Pay the extra because there is nothing better than this out there....Promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
Great product delivered on time and well packaged.Have been using it now for a couple of months and very pleased. Fairly easy to set up but some IT knowledge and research before you buy is required.

2.0 out of 5 stars Get DS215J - new replacement model!, 8 Dec. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Synology ds213j 2 bay, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
As a first time buyer it was simple to set it up. Learning step by step and have no problem so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent, from a Linux enthusiast!, 20 Aug. 2013
Matthew Wild (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
Originally I had planned to build my own NAS box. After calculating the cost of such a project, and because I knew I had little experience with RAID (setting up mirroring between multiple disks to protect from data loss), I realised I ought to check out what off-the-shelf solutions were available in the same price range as a self-build.

One of my requirements was for something supporting on-disk encryption, in case of theft, etc. I was keen for something I could trust, rather than a manufacturer's own home-baked encryption. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised to find that the DS213J uses eCryptfs, a fully standard disk encryption module in Linux. Just what I wanted. It also has a processor designed to speed up the encryption algorithms it uses. Finding a suitable low-power CPU with this feature for a self-build was next to impossible. I was sold.

Hardware setup was very easy, slide two disks in, screw the case on, plug in the power cable and the network cable. Done.

Once it's on the network you can simply visit the page at [...] in your browser. The web interface is full-featured, fast and very impressive. I was expecting to have to deal with something as clunky as my router's web admin. Not at all. It mimics a desktop, and supports multi-tasking, so you can run multiple "applications" at the same time (file browser, resource monitor, log viewer, etc.). You can see a demo at [...] (note that the demo is a bit slower than the real thing is when you're on the same LAN).

Finally, for a Linux enthusiast, the device is excellent. A simple config option enables SSH login, and from there opens up a whole world of additional modifications for people who like to tinker (i.e. me). It runs quite an up-to-date version of Linux, neatly organised, and many of Synology's custom tools are even documented. (You might understand why all this is a surprise if you've ever worked much with commercial embedded Linux devices.). While on technical stuff I'll add that it also uses the ext4 filing system.

Finally, I'll list a few small negatives (for me). They are primarily things I want to do personally that I haven't got properly working yet:

- rsync over SSH (it supports the plain rsync protocol, but getting it to work over SSH has eluded me so far)
- Secure backups of the device itself (it has lots of backup options, but none of them preserve the encryption as far as I can see, I need to confirm this with a test though)
- Remote access from outside my LAN. This should be a simple case of port forwarding, but for one reason or another I haven't got it working yet (there are multiple ports to consider, and it likes to know your external IP address - but mine is dynamic).
- Email. Actually I *have* got this working now, with my own mail server. But it was harder than it should have been. It uses email a lot, for notifications, disk failure reports, disk usage reports, password resets, etc. (I love receiving these now that it's working).

I'm sure I'll figure these out over the coming weeks, and I doubt they should put anyone off.

Overall, I'm thoroughly glad I bought this instead of a self-build, it's the best money I've spent on an off-the-shelf device in a long time. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›