5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, easy to set up and use
Published 11 months ago by Anorakus

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm still amazed by this
Array delivered quickly but beware.

After 3 weeks drive 1 started throwing I/O errors. I contacted Amazon who said tough. You've had it more than 2 weeks. It's your problem. I'm still amazed by this.
Published 26 days ago by Mr. D. A. O'hara

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, easy to set up and use, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
There are a few NAS systems on the market, and I eventually went with the Synology due to the number of positive reviews. I wasn't disappointed. This is one of the best experiences I have had setting up new technology. First impressions of the DS213J is that it's smaller than you might expect from the photos. Installing the hard disks is a doddle - just slide off the plastic cover on the side of the NAS, slot the disks into the bays (easy with SATA connections as there are no separate power/data cables to worry about) and secure the hard disks in place with the provided screws (the rubber bushes in the drive bays make this much easier - nice attention to detail). Setting up the system is just a matter of pointing your web browser to the Diskstation. It automatically formats and sets up the disks in a RAID1 (mirrored) configuration, and you're good to go. If you want to use the NAS as a media server, this is a separate download, but takes seconds to do using the package manager. The desktop interface is easy to use, especially for a Windows person like me who's never set foot in the scary world of Linux. One of the best features of this unit is the power-saving capability. You can set it to hibernate (spin down) the disks after a period of inactivity, which reduces power consumption to a few watts and (optionally) switches off the fan. For a typical home setup where the NAS is only used for a few hours a day, this will greatly extend the life of the disks. In practice, I've found that any DLNA devices on your network will keep the Synology awake - presumably when they're scanning the network for media servers - but it hibernates fine when the network is quiet. Overall I'm delighted with this little box - inexpensive secure storage, easy to set up and use, and more features and software than you can shake a stick at. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm still amazed by this, 6 July 2014
Array delivered quickly but beware.

Instead I raised a call with Synology who said "not our problem". No - it is your problem. I bought this new and sealed. They said the disks weren't fitted by them. After pressing them they said a 3rd party integrator fitted the disk then sold the whole unit as if it came from Synology. Their recommendation was to contact Western Digital and replace the drive.
WD say the drive was sold to an integrator so not their problem. I don't care - it's made by them and they are ultimately responsible. They say not. After 3 attempts I opened a support call asking for an RMA but after 7 days nobody has responded to the support case.

So
FAIL to Amazon for not allowing replacement in the first year.
FAIL to Synology for not taking responsibility of failure of their own products.
FAIL to WD for making it so difficult to replace a failed disk.

I wish I'd built my own NAS (like I always have until this point) but now amd stuck with a failed array and no assistance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good NAS drive, 19 Sep 2013
Simon Nicholson (Torquay, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
Bought this to replace an aging Netgear product; very impressed with all the features included with the Diskstation, particularly the home cloud option which is easy to set up. User interface (Diskstation Manager) is fairly intuitive and there is no need to do anything via the command line. I also like the fact that you can choose which packages to install, rather than having lots of bloatware installed for you. The package centre lets you choose which packages you want and then downloads and installs them for you. And the packages are free, as are the Andoid and iPhone apps which let you access various features, such as your music library, etc. Remote access is also fairly easy to set up and can be done without any knowledge of router port-forwarding etc. I've been running this for about 3 months with two WD Red 2TB hard drives (although the Diskstation will support up to 2x4TB drives); with these drives the Diskstation is so quiet you almost have to look for the blinking leds on the front panel to check its turned on. Would thoroughly recommend this product and although the Synology forums can be a little quiet there is plenty of Help and Information available in their knowledgebase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else compares to this..., 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I have looked at numerous options for NAS drives but eventually settled on this unit with 2 x WD Red 3TB drives. The unit is quick to set up and indexes photos pretty quickly. 10,000 high res shots were done over night. Apps seem to work well. All round you won't find a better drive on the market. Pay the extra because there is nothing better than this out there....Promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Hi Fidelity Network Players., 29 Jan 2014
Skylord (Somerset, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I am very pleased with the NAS but it is my first NAS, so I've got nothing to compare it with. It's got 2x western digital 2TB red hard drives. I wish I'd gone for 3TB just to store some video and offload the MAC hard drive. Having said that, I have only used 22% storage so far and that's with my entire music collection (300+ CDs) and time machine backup from 2 MACS. It's using Synology hybrid RAID to provide a mirror image of the primary hard drive on the secondary (in case 1 drive fails with all your music on it). I'm also using the free Synology media server to stream the files to the network. Set up was very easy and I managed most of it from reading the excellent support notes on the synology website. The NAS is connected to the wireless router by a network lead and the wireless router has a lead connected to a network adapter plugged into the ring main. The music is streamed via the ring main to another network adaptor, about 20 metres away, by the Yamaha CDN-500 network player. I rip my CDs with the MAC and they are sent via wifi to the NAS using a Phile Audio app from the Apple App Store. This usually identifies the correct CD and inserts all the album artist, track names and genre. You have to find the artwork yourself, but that is easy with google, you just click and drag the artwork to the app and it is automatically inserted. The artwork will then appear on you IOS, Google, windows device so you can see what you are playing. FLAC is simple, uncomplicated and sounds very good. Apple lossless seemed to be lacking something sound wise , WAV files were huge and Ogg Vorbis just seemed to have too many options. After experimenting with the first couple of CD's, I found the format I preferred (FLAC) tweaked various settings with Phile App and DSM to ensure album art was included and then paid my daughter 50p per CD to rip my entire collection over the summer holidays. The NAS is stable and reliable, stitting in the laundry room with the wireless router and it looks after itself. It wakes up when the yamaha needs it, recovers itself after a power cut and will even automatically update it's own software (although I've turned this off as I don't want it rebooting when I'm about to listen to Music). It's also used for streaming to my daughter's Denon Cocoon using the same DLNA system as the Yamaha and works a treat on that too. It seems solid and well made and quiet and will hopefully last a good few years. It was also pretty good value for money compared to others and got good reviews from professionals and consumers as per the WD red HDD's. I am very pleased with the set up, it works well and sounds great. My CD's are in a box in the loft and a lot of space has been freed up in our home. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... now had this for about a month and I love it, I ordered it with 2 2TB HDD's ..., 9 July 2014
M. Buck (Fleet, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I've now had this for about a month and I love it, I ordered it with 2 2TB HDD's as it was cheaper than buying it with the drives in it, It took all of about 2 minutes to install the drives, and couple of screws and away you go.

plug it into your router and turn it on. install the software onto your laptop and the software will go and find the device for you on your network so you don't have to try and figure out what IP address its been given. Then do the simple setup facility.

The software is easy to use with its own version of a app store where you can download app to turn your device into a media server, picture viewer, security camera hug along with other things. I've downloaded the Media server software and my Sony TV found it straight away without any setup required and works great. There is also an app to download things with the infamous Bit Torrent system, obviously using that do download copyrighted material is illegal. You can also turn it FTP server and alor fo things.

I connected my older USB HDD to the back, and it picked it up straight away, I was then able to transfer my pics etc into the NAs using the built in file viewer app creating folders as needed. One thing I did notice was that when the device was doing an inventory of the pics it used alot of CPU for quite a long time, for me it did it for a day or so. I just left it to do its thing and its been fine since it finished.

Another thing I like is the power scheduling, I have it set up to turn off during the working day and then set to wake on LAN in the evening and weekends, this way its reduces its power output and on turns on when I connect to it, either via the TV, PC or mobile device, with regards the mobile device, you can download the app via the android or apple app stores, set it up on the device for access, then enter the username and password that the device gives you into the app, and you have mobile access to your NAS. works great aswell.

The device has settings for different fan speeds depending on your environment, I've got it set to silent running, and you can't hear it unless you are in total silence.

Sure this isn't the cheapest NAS on the market but with these things you very muc get what you pay for, and i'm really impressed with this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I highly recommend this or any of the Synology NAS Enclosures.
This model suited my needs perfectly and the right price range for home use.

These are super reliable and have excellent software and features that no other NAS box can give you.

Once you own one, you would live without one.

Fitting hard drive is a piece of cake with a few screws here and there. Build quality is good, and has been 100% reliable since I've had it running. Even going through a number of power cuts in the house, the synology box with SHR RAID on dealt with the cuts no problem.

If your looking for something like this - get one

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact quiet and loaded with features., 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
Only accepts 3.5" drives as standard out of the box, if you want to use any type of 2.5" HDD you have to buy expensive plastic adapter for each drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, highly recommended, 17 Dec 2013
Neil - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
I bought this NAS as I wanted something to stream music and videos without having to keep my computer switched on.

Installation is easy - open the box, insert 1-2 HDDs, close the box. And that's it! The NAS does come with some software to install, but it's straightforward. The software is very easy to use and has enough options to satisfy most users; the NAS is actually accessed via a web browser. There are some nice touches, such as iPhone apps (so that you can view media and on smartphones, etc). The Synology application website also had a good range of software (the Synology products are free, some others charge for their software applications). Items such as anti-virus, are free and definitely worth installing.

The NAS box itself is quite sturdy, has a few LEDs on the front and USB/LAN ports on the back. There is a LED to indicate power, one for each HDD, one for standby and one to indicate LAN activity. The power switch is also on the front and fan on the back. It's quiet. One of the biggest selling points (in my mind) is that it takes seconds to warm up from standby. This is really important as it means the NAS can go into standby after x minutes of no usage and then start up again very quickly. Switching on from unpowered is also quite fast (certainly much faster than my old IOmega NAS, which used to take minutes!).

I've used the NAS with 2x 3TB WD Red HDDs which are perfect for this setup. There are a number of RAID options (you can check the various options on the Synology website), which can meet all of your needs; I've gone for one which mirrors the HDDs whilst allowing for a lot of file structure flexibility. It's also possible to backup the NAS with another NAS, either on the same LAN or remotely (although I haven't set this bit up yet).

I've plugged my Synology into my broadband router (which gives it LAN and internet access). I also use it to provide the music files for a Sonos system, which works well. I also use it with an Apple Mac (Mountain Lion) and Windows PC (Win 7) with no problems. As I mentioned earlier, setup is very easy. Note that I'd recommend doing the full HDD test when you first install the HDDs as it'll help to detect any problems at the outset (there's an option in the Synology menu and it takes a few hours to run).

I couldn't rate this product higher. It's a bit more expensive than some of the alternatives, but it's worth the difference (I've used other NAS' before and the Synology box is far superior).

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformed my viewing pleasure, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS (Accessory)
This product is amazing. Plugged in my internal hard drive, copied everything over (do this via windows explorer, not over the internet), now I can stream all my media via my streamer directly to my TV, 24 hours a day, without having my PC on. That's just the start of what it can do...

Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS