4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable inexpensive headphones
These headphones form part of Philips' `Down Town' `CitiScape' theme to reflect the vibrancy of urban environments around the world. I'm not sure I'm the target demographic for this but these are comfortable headphones which offer good sound quality for the price, and they are not the least expensive of the range. I guess a significant selling point is the use of memory...
Published 14 months ago by Dr. Paul Ell

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good - but the sound is dull.
I get through a pair of headphones every now and then but when I find a pair I like I will replace with the same model. These new headphones from Philips look really great, they are comfortable to wear and are adjustable as you would expect.

They are in green denim and the actual pads are made from memory foam that sits really well on your ears and excludes...
Published 15 months ago by Tommy Dooley

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Headphones for day to day use, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Philips SHL5605BL/10 CitiScape Downtown Headphones with Music Seal/Memory Foam Cushions - Blue Denim (Electronics)
These are by far the comfiest headphones i have ever purchased. At first i wasn't sure if the memory foam cushions would be as comfortable as i was hoping but i was happily surprised when i found that after an hour or so these headphones did not cause me any pain at all.

The sound quality is also fantastic, it allows me to turn my iPod up to full volume and listen away without any crackles or pops. The headphones handle the bass of songs superbly and does not comprise the singers voice at all. I have also used these on my phone for phone calls and they're simply great. I could hear clearer through the headset then i could my actual phone (says a lot about my old phone) and also the microphone could pick up everything i was saying without having to hold it up to my mouth. I don't often use hands free with my phone as i wasn't sure it was better or easier but with these headphones it's miles better and easier when you are on the go.

I purchased these before they went on sale, meaning i paid the full £60 for them and can honestly say i do not regret it at all. These are fantastic headphones of which i will be using on a daily basis. I have had these for over 2 weeks now and the quality of sound still has not faded and they are still extremely comfortable.

I would highly recommend these to anyone who is after a good quality set of headphones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 11 May 2014
I spend a lot of time travelling on the train to and from work so I try and pass the time listening to music or catching up on those must see programmes. I have only used these headphones briefly but firstly I have found them very comfortable to wear. The memory phone ear surrounds are uber comfortable and drown out the noise around (people on the phone or those wearing headphones where the entire carriage can hear the music). They work great in my android phone and tablet. They are light weight so I am not weighed down and they look super stylish.

I am pleased with them and hope to use them more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of head phones for being out and about, 7 May 2014
I’ve had my Cityscape Downtown headphones for a few days now and I can honestly say I think they are a really good pair of headphones.
The build quality is good; they are made of metal, plastic, stitched denim and plastic leather. It’s very obvious when you take them out of the box that they are designed with comfort and functionality in mind and the first thing you notice is how soft the foam that goes over your ears is. The headphones aren't rigid so they can fit comfortably over the ears, whatever your head shape.
I’ve worn mine out and about and relaxing on the sofa watching a film on my tablet and found them to be really comfortable on my ears even after a few hours. The only downside is that I can imagine the plastic leather becoming sticky on yours ears if it's a hot day.
The "music seal" which the foam makes over your ears does the trick, my wife's not complained about hearing my music once, even though I’ve had it pretty loud at times.
The cable is a nice length which isn't too short but not too long it gets in the way and it's the flat anti tangle cable which actually works really well.
On the cable there's a switch and mic to take calls if using the headphones with your phone, it's not something I use, but is a pretty neat function to use if you want to while out and about.
For the price you pay the sound quality is good, they are a well-balanced pair of head phones. The top-end and mid-range sound I have no complaints about, unfortunately the bass could do with a little more punch but for the price the general sound is very good.
I would recommend these headphones to anyone who wants a comfortable, well built pair of headphones they can wear whilst out and about. Are they good value for money? I would say so yes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 5 May 2014
I have owned these headphones for about a week, and use them with my iPhone. I needed a new pair since accidentally putting my Apple headphones into the wash…

They look good, the green is pretty cool. They sound good. I would say the sound quality is quite a lot better than what I’m used to. They have all the same features as my old Apple pair. I can skip and pause tracks and use my phone with them. I also really like the flat cable, which doesn’t tangle or get knotted.

On the down side, they are a bit big, but I suppose that’s an inherent part of the design. Also, I don’t like wearing them for more than a couple of hours, as they become quite uncomfortable after really prolonged use. On ear, instead of in ear, takes a bit of getting used to.

Overall, now that I’ve bedded them in I am happy to say that they are a good choice. I would recommend these to anyone for whom size and long periods of use are not an issue. They look and sound good.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent pair of portable headphones, 15 Mar 2014
I bought these having purchased the SHL5905 earlier on. I wanted more portable headphones with a more forward sonic performance than the aforementioned model. It's worthy of noting that the SHL5905 have performed great up to this point as domestic headphones, however their huge sounstage and laid-back sound are much better suited for home use than on the go. I tried to use them outdoors, unfortunately the sound was drowned out by street noises, the downside of having such a huge soundstage. It happened despite their ability to insulate against ambient noise. Turning the volume up didn't help much either.

After reading as many reviews as I could find I finally came up with an idea to try these. They seemed to be a good choice as far as commuting and outdoor use is concerned.

It is my opinion that they retain most of SHL5905 strong points and even improve on their larger brother in some respects.

Their sound is slightly cold (but not freezing cold) and a bit bright in the treble, however I haven't detected (with my ears) any significant treble boost as opposed to the SHL5905 which need the EQ to attenuate the treble in order to unveil some of the midrange detail.

The SHL5605 have a very flat frequency response with no bass or treble boost. Everyone can adjust the sound to their liking, it is after all much easier in this case than with unbalanced headphones. Personally I prefer a slight bass boost which I applied, being quite satisfied with the result. Some people complain about the lack of bass on these phones however that is simply a matter of personal preference and, as I said before, it is extremely easy to remedy as almost all mp3 players have an EQ nowadays.
The sound comes out natural and engaging, while being non-fatiguing at the same time.
The level of clarity is very good for portable headphones - absolutely satisfactory for outdoor use. It is a little harder to distinguish individual sounds than with the SHL5905 owing to the much smaller soundstage of the SHL5605, but I can't say that any significant details become lost because of it.
I find absolutely mind-blowing how these reproduce the sound an acoustic or electric guitar.

Overall, I consider them to be excellent soundwise as well as being very portable.
They've met all my expectations and then some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality and Value, 30 Jan 2014
It took me ages to decide on the right headphones. I am all about the sound thats right for me and the music I listen to and I spent ages in John Lewis, PC world, Currys etc trying out all the headphones. Once I had chosen the Philips headphones is was about getting the best price and I was flexible on the colour so got a fantastic deal half the price of the high street stores. My advice is to test all of them out on the high street using your phone etc and once decided buy on line. The Headphones are lovely and comfortable with very soft padded earpieces that blocks nearly all of the surrounding sound out and the playing sound for the money is fabulous. The design is sleek and the denim covering on the headband just adds to the look. Well happy with the price, sound and looks

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice headphone, 19 Jan 2014
Very good ,sound quality is superb,exactly how it was described -I like it ,very light compare to other & soft in the ear .

5.0 out of 5 stars best i own, 20 Dec 2013
Toby le Rhone (StaffordshireUK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Love these headphones,i have a couple and loads of earphones, and these are the bext quality of the bunch.Buy it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phones for the price, 19 Dec 2013
Get Real "Butterfly_Brand" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Love these headphones. Deep rich sound which is perfect for my classical music CD's. A sort of surround effect - a bit like sitting in a room with four speakers. Really good crystal clear clean sound. Comfy ear padding - sit nicely. Only thing I don't really like is the denim.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memory foam saves the day..., 5 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone used to high-quality headphones will look at these and go 'Ugh!'. In terms of sound you can't blame them, as these are clearly built to a low price-point and sound as you would expect; average, weak base and lack of detail everywhere except the middle. The mic and all the other 'features' are par for the course. They work but do not excite in any way. However, the foam on the 'bins' saves the day. Personally I find it excellent for long-term use (an hour or more). Many headsets can feel head-crushingly tight, or too close. These are just perfect, probably the best sub-£80 I've used (in terms of comfort).

If these broke I would happily buy a new pair.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›