5.0 out of 5 stars Waltzing with time
Published on 16 Dec 2009 by J. Vernon

2.0 out of 5 stars Good play but bad quality edition
The play itself if fascinating and definitely worth a read, but I would certainly suggest buying a different edition.

Published on 3 Dec 2009 by Rachel M

5.0 out of 5 stars Waltzing with time, 16 Dec 2009
J. Vernon (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arcadia (Paperback)
I saw this play in the 1990s, but it largely faded from my memory. I had the impression of it being a difficult, entertaining and serious play. I went to see it again in August 2009. I could grasp that it was an excellent and even important piece of work, though I confessed to my friend that the full message eluded me. He wisely commented that Stoppard would be disappointed if we did grasp it all.

Since then, I have bought a copy and read it. Unlike many plays, the reading was clearer than the staged version - though the sequence of seeing the play on the stage first doubtless influences that opinion. It is so packed with clever, fizzy ideas that it is difficult to understand them from the fast, witty dialogue. On the page, one can slow down and turn back. It is a play to be highly recommended, a towering intellectual achievement, maybe (probably) a rung above `Copenhagen' by Michael Frayn.

To summarise the plot of the play would take many paragraphs, and would possibly spoil it for those who have not seen or read it. Instead, it is fruitful to highlight the theme of Time.

`Arcadia' opens with a scene from 1809, as you can tell from the dress and language. So we are shifted back in time by 200 years. The very first line of the play, from a curious, intelligent, naïve girl called Thomasina to her tutor raises a laugh from the audience: "Septimus, what is carnal embrace?" This leads into the comic, slightly farcical, country-house drama that Stoppard loves - as in `The real inspector Hound'. The entangled relationships and attractions are a thick thread in the tapestry of the story, running in parallel between the early 19th Century and modern times.

`Attraction' is a word used with care, because one of the topics they talk about is Newtonian physics and his laws of gravity. Newton's model of the universe opens the possibility of everything being deterministic, but that is upset in human life by the life force of sex - "the attraction which Newton left out". The human race moves forward in time and survives, thanks to sexual attraction. But in the long run we are all doomed, because of entropy, which will cause everything in the universe to "cease and grow cold".

Time and entropy are the same thing, or at least are deeply threaded with each other. Entropy's arrow is what makes us feel time. Thomasina understands the profound implications of entropy, destroying the neat, symmetrical world of Newtonian Physics her tutor had been teaching her: "Newton's equations go forwards and backwards, they do not care which way. But the heat equation care very much, it goes only one way. That is the reason Mr Noakes's engine cannot give us the power to drive Mr Noakes's engine."

We see time operating before our eyes on the stage, as characters from the 20th Century erupt into the same room. Now we meet ambitious academics exploring the past at Sidley Park in their various ways. One is studying the shooting records to understand the chaos-theory patterns behind the grouse population. One is writing a book about the landscape gardening and the influence of the Romantic imagination. One is researching the life of Lord Byron, hoping to come up with a scandalous, dramatic event that will make his name, when published.

Time plays tricks on these searchers after truth, in that the evidence left is insufficient and misleading. Or, rather, the way they look at things causes them to bend the evidence. The University Don, Bernard, is particularly self-deluding in his eagerness to achieve fame. He convinces himself that he has found evidence of Lord Byron killing a man in a duel and fleeing the country as a result. We, the audience, already know he is barking up the wrong tree, because we have just seen the events and letters of 1809. So Bernard is not really a searcher after truth, but forms a self-serving theory first, and then imposes that theory on the evidence. He sees what he wants to see.

Time plays tricks on the earlier generation too. Thomasina Coverley also discovers the mathematics of chaos, blowing apart the neat Euclidian geometry of trianges, squares etc, with infinitely branching shapes, such as we see in nature around us - trees, for instance. The later mathematician, Valentine, has a laptop computer in which he can produce the `Coverley set' - a renamed Mandelbrot set, I presume. The cruelty of time is that Thomasina (and, later, Septimus devoting years to scribbed mathmatics) does not have the computing power to pursue her new mathematics. She lives in the wrong age.

As Valentine says "There wasn't enough time. There weren't enough pencils! (He flourishes Thomasina's lesson book.) This took her I don't know how many days and she hasn't scratched the paintwork. Now she'd only have to press a button over and over. Iteration. A few minutes. And what I've done in a couple of months, with only a pencil the calculations would take me the rest of my life to do again - thousands of pages - tens of thousands! And so boring!"

The characters from the two ages, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, take turns on the stage, with wonderful comic interactions, a supremely clever country house farce, where the two sets of characters do not talk directly with each other. However the earlier set is being observed, not only by the audience, but also by the other set of characters. The later set of characters is also silently being mocked by the earlier set, for getting their interpretations so wrong.

Towards the end, Stoppard boldly brings both ages on to the stage at the same time. The two eras end up both waltzing around the room. This is wonderful symbolism, bringing to mind the attraction of the sexes, the orbits of the planets, the whirl of atoms, the mathematics of chaos, the comedy and melancholy of human relationships....

2.0 out of 5 stars Good play but bad quality edition, 3 Dec 2009
This review is from: Arcadia (Paperback)

The Faber and Faber edition is simply poor quality, with many errors and typos, even getting characters names wrong towards the end. I studied this book for A Level and almost every copy in our class had fallen apart within the first month, with pages falling out completely or hanging by one corner. I understand that books studied by students undergo a lot of wear and tear, but this is simply badly bound.

I hope this saves someone else having to selotape up their copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing...genius!, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Arcadia (Paperback)
I love this play! I had to study it for my course and once I started reading I could not stop! This is a work of genius and Stoppard has proved to be a fantastic writer. It is witty, humorous and extremely interesting. I would recommend this to all play and drama lovers. It contains an interesting combination of themes and ideas which make it even more readable and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Stoppard's 'Arcadia' performed by L.A Theatre Works (Audio book), 29 Aug 2013
J. Simpson (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
This is a splendid production of 'Arcadia' by L.A.Theatre Works, recorded in 2009 using an earlier script version than the (barely noticeably) revised edition published in the same year. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it with, for me, only one minor reservation. Lady Croom was portrayed as rather shrill and not played nearly grandly enough, that is to say, in the way one would imagine Lady Bracknell to sound like, given that this is how her character reads in the script, with her acerbic comments and Wildean aphorisms. Other than that, the performances are commendable and there are only the rarest and slightest of clues in pronunciation that the cast is American and not British.

The cd production has been altered since the printing of the cover information. There is, in addition to the production, an interview but rather than the one advertised with Ira Nadel, Professor of English at the University of British Columbia, there is instead a half-hour discussion between producer Susan Lowenberg and Steven H Strogatz, Professor of Applied Mathematics at Cornell University, who gives a very interesting and approachable explanation of chaos theory and other mathematical insights within the context of the play.

I do recommend this audio book as being well worth listening to if, like me, you haven't had the opportunity to see a stage production, or if you are studying the play, as it interprets the brilliance of the script to a very high standard and in a most enjoyable way.

Jim Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars Total genius, 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: Arcadia (Paperback)
I studied this play at A level many years ago but I can't leave it alone. This is a work of total genius and, although purists would say that plays shoud be see and not read, it would be impossible to appreciate the nuances without reading it multiple times over many years. I agree with one review which suggests finding another version. The binding is poor and my copy is now stuck together with sellotape but I'll never part from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars intelligent and thought provoking, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Arcadia (Kindle Edition)
A scintillating tour de force. Humorous, intelligent and thought provoking. Shockingly, there is only one spoken word version of this magnificent play and no film or TV recording, but reading it is a lot better than nothing, and good preparation for catching a stage performance, if you're lucky enough to hear of one.

5.0 out of 5 stars saw a this play and wanted to read it, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Arcadia (Kindle Edition)
I went to a performance of this play in Bristol which was excellent, so wanted to read it and see if I missed any of the points the play made. Reading the play re-inforced how interesting the play is. Lots of ideas but not preachy. Will definitely look for other performances of this play and others by Stoppard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex and rewarding, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Arcadia (Kindle Edition)
It can be hard to follow the incredibly complex theories and ideas put forward in this, but that makes it all the more rewarding. I actually did an amateur production of this years ago and rehearsed it endlessly for nearly 8 months, but even now, I find and understand new things every time I re-read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Clever and Funny, 28 Jan 2014
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arcadia (Kindle Edition)
This play by Tom Stoppard is ingenious. People from modern times are studying artefacts from a country house in the 1780s, coming up with all sorts of bizarre conclusions with scanty evidence. However, we the audience know that they're all wrong because we've seen the events from the 1780s in the first scenes of the play. The characters from the older time, especially Thomasina and her tutor Septimus, are well-drawn and enthralling, while the characters from modern times are more cynical, suspicious, but keen on their academic endeavors.

There's even a tortoise on the table which appears in both time periods, and becomes the focus on several laugh-aloud jokes.

I cannot do this play justice. You have to see it. Children younger than 12 are probably not the right audience for the language.

About this edition, it was perfectly serviceable for what it's for. I bought it both as hard copy and Kindle, and it was fine in both version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arcadia, 27 Sep 2010
Arcadia- Tom Stoppard.

Tom Stoppard gives Oscar Wilde a run for his money in this almost unbearably clever and Olivier award-winning play "Arcadia". Armed with wit and heart, the play seems to tap with a perfect sensitivity into your funny bones and pulls ever so slightly on your heartstrings. It seems the play is based on two mathematical theories ( that discussed between tutor and student in the opening act and pervades the entire play) and that of Stoppard's writing; so perfect and complete.

Arcadia