Published 14 months ago by Tara

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending
Published 10 months ago by Jan O

5.0 out of 5 stars Real, compelling and witty from an aspiring new author. A must read!, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Paperback)
This new and aspiring author has written a compelling, gripping and extremely witty story. It will keep you guessing to the end and beyond. She has uniquely captured the very real side of the character's work within a Major Crime Investigation, whilst at the same time keeping the story interesting and pacy. She has created a main character that you can relate to, understand and feel you want to know more about with each turn of the page.
It is clear from the character and ending of this book, there are many more fabulous Nina Foster stories to come and I for one will be waiting with bated breath for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut book that keeps you guessing til the end, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Paperback)
The debut book from Lisa Cutts is definitely a must read. This book is the newest addition to the crime fiction genre, with it brings a new gutsy yet funny character in Nina Foster. Well written and every time you think you've guessed what is going to happen, something else is added to make you think again, seriously just wait til you get to the end, you will never see it coming!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Paperback)
This book is truly one of the best books I have ever read, I couldn't put it down, I was hooked! It also provides an interesting insight into the workings of a Police investigation and how human psychology is integrated into this. Nina Foster is full of banter, and I reckon she'd be a good laugh to both work with and go for a large red with. I can't wait for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Paperback)
I heard this lady on a Radio 4 program about writing crime novels from a police officers perspective and was intrigued enough to order. When I started i really couldn't put it down. Characters are well drawn, believable and interesting. But what I really liked was the perspective that it is written from, this is not how one super detective solves the crime it shows how the police work as a team and as you would expect some interesting procedural detail. However the book has plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested and guessing! All in all well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant ! you really can't put it down so be sure to set aside anything else you have on when you buy this book because reading it is all you will be doing I promise !
From the very start you want to find out more. Read this book if you are a police officer and read this book is your not, either way you will love it. The plot is both believable and compelling and I can't wait for more. My only disappointment with this book is finishing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Forget - Lisa Cutts, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Kindle Edition)
I am a complete bookworm and have read a lot of crime thrillers.
I found this book to be a great page turner and could not put it down until I had turned the last page. I could relate to the characters and the book flowed and although face paced, it was at a rate that was easy to follow. It was believable and highlighted that it's not all glamorous in a detectives life.
It is a true insight into the world of major crime and I can't wait for the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start to a Fascinating New Series, 14 July 2013
Marleen (Cavan, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I received my copy from Myriad Editions through Nudge

The investigation starts when the body of a woman is found. She's been stabbed several times and has been dead for a few days at least. Detective Constable Nina Foster is one of many officers recruited to help with the investigation into the death of the woman who turns out to have been a prostitute with an eight year old son.

It's not long after that a second body is discovered. Although there is no known connection between the woman and the second victim, his wounds seem to indicate a link between the two deaths.

As the investigation progresses the body count continues to rise and for a long time any connection between the victims remains obscure. When a link is at last established it also reveals a connection to a traumatic event in Nina's past. Now she has to add worrying about being allowed to stay on the investigation to all the investigative threads running through her head.

But even with evidence slowly pointing the investigators in the right direction, it will take a violent confrontation and a surprising rescuer to bring the investigation to a close and a rather surprising ending to the book.

This book is Lisa Cutts' first novel and mystery. Drawing on her own experience as a police officer she writes a realistic yet deeply layered mystery. In fact, this is a book that requires attention from the reader. There are multiple characters with complicated connections between them to keep track of. And, since this is the first book in a planned series, a lot of attention is also paid to establishing Nina Foster as a well-rounded and realistic protagonist.

Initially Nina seemed a bit of a stereo type, with her habit of viewing every single man she met as a possible date or partner and her constant preoccupation with wine. Taking into account Nina's background though I can only applaud the author for not making her main character a lot more neurotic than she was. Many authors I can think of would have taken this character and made her appear far more disturbed than Mrs. Cutts did, just to add drama to the story. With the story-line being what it is this book didn't need that extra dimension and I'm delighted she resisted what must have been a rather tempting opportunity.

The mystery is well plotted, the investigation realistically described and the resolution both exciting and believable. I had a bit of a problem keeping the various characters involved in the investigation separated in my mind. While it is completely realistic that an investigation as described in this book would involve numerous police officers, and it also makes sense to introduce the characters that will play a role in what is to be a series of mysteries in the very first book, I did find myself getting a bit confused at times. On the other hand, there were a few characters who I imagine will make return appearances in future Nina Foster mysteries, and those were described in such a way that I got a good impression of who they were and what role the play in Nina's life without taking any pace out of the thrilling story-line. I'm impressed with the balance the author managed to strike; she gave me enough information about her characters to keep me interested yet left me curious about future books with everything that hasn't yet been revealed.

The short of it is that I really enjoyed this book. It is wonderful to find a new series with an interesting and realistic protagonist, a well written story and a complex and well executed mystery. I'm going to keep an eye out for future Nina Foster mysteries. If this debut is anything to go by, the world is one very talented mystery author richer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Paperback)
A good story which kept me guessing and moved along quickly. However I did find myself questioning frequently, " who was he? where did he fit in?" as I tried to remember various characters. The ending was very disappointing with many unanswered questions. Why was Laura's strange behaviour towards Nina not explained? Her pregnancy was irrelevant to the story, unless Bill was the father, but again this was left in the air. I realise that there will be a sequel but it was annoying that no explanation of Nina's sister's circumstances was made, other than a mention of her in the final sentence. I couldn't believe there wasn't another chapter!

2.0 out of 5 stars Really rather boring, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Never Forget (Kindle Edition)
I was going through a Kindle dry spell when I found this book; it had great reviews and I'm a big fan of this genre so downloaded and was looking forward to reading it. I finished it this morning. I was so disappointed - the writing is of a poor quality, the characters not at all engaging and poorly fleshed out and, I found, rather cliched. There was nothing about the main character that I liked or felt could identify with. The first chapter seemed to have no connection to the rest of the book which was a shame as I felt more could have been made of it. I wouldn't recommend this book at all - there are far better books of this genre available which are worth spending your hard-earned cash on!

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as any book you may read., 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Never Forget (Kindle Edition)
Lisa Cutts, that is a name to remember. I often purchase books by 'Unknown' authors, because I get tired of the well known writers who sometimes forget who they are writing for and not just counting the pennies coming in.
Lisa is in that genre of authors who really know what they are writing about, because they live it day in and day out. Never Forget was as exciting as any book can be. Its fast passed and filled with little bits of police humour and I just love DC Nina Foster and had to but the next book when I finished this one yesterday.
I would be interested in seeing what a TV Drama makes of it, but it would never be as good as the book, which brings out the personality of each character beautifully.
Keep up the good work Lisa,( I mean the writing, not the policing).

Never Forget