5.0 out of 5 stars A good start!
As a HUGE SnK(aka Attack on Titan) fan I wanted to read the manga after I finished watching the superb anime(that I can't recomend enogh!). The first volume of SnK starts of at a really good pace. Because I saw the anime first I needed to get used to the art style of the manga and didn't at first really like it(I think Eren looks a bit weird at some places - that's...
Published 18 months ago by Xbox Kiki

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Worth reading. Good for a first volume. Still feels like things have yet to get going since most of this volume is back story and set up. The art is good in this genre and the story is really different. So far, the storytelling is pretty plain. I don't really feel much for the characters but I'm intrigued enough to want to know what happens next. It's interesting. I...
Published 22 months ago by Manveri

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars the art was beautiful. However, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
As a newcomer to Manga, I found this to be an incredibly enjoyable but short read. All the characters were interesting, the art was beautiful. However, my one complaint is that the last 20 or so pages are just hype for the rest of the series (i.e. an interview and preview). Not a massive issue, just would rather have seen more content about the 1st volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars A standout manga series, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
I'll not spoil anything but this manga is very dark for a shounen series but feel fresh at the same time. It has a very interesting concept and is well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant :), 22 July 2014
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
I'm one of those people who say they'll watch a recommended anime and never get round to it, decided to buy this product and I was not disappointed. I've watched and read all the anime/manga since :) it's got me hooked

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely interesting!, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
I loved it from the first page it's an awesome Japanese story plot by Hajime Isayama. The story and characters are all on point. Things that differentiate this manga series from others is its realistic portray of humanity emotions. It certainly captures the essence of human fear of unknown danger, which is caused by the fearful man-eating Titans. Now I'm also following the Anime series which I also describe as the best of 2013 and one of the best of all time! EPICNESS!!!
Contains Gore so I wouldn't recommend it to teens younger than 13.

5.0 out of 5 stars good story, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Attack on Titan 1 (Kindle Edition)
Riveting read, just had to get the next one straight after

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and absolutely enjoyable, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
Every now and then, each year, a certain manga suddenly appears in the spotlight and becomes popular. Not just that, but so popular everyone seems to know and talk about it. The question then, for everyone, is whether said manga is actually worth reading and lives up to the hype it has caused – something which is quite uncommon considering how this typically works for series. The popularity of Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) is undisputable, but worth the read? I certainly think so, as I will explain below.

Written by Hajime Isayama, Attack on Titan is one of those series which against all odds, presents an original concept and makes it work. Its story is simple: a threat has befell humanity as ‘Titans’ appeared out of nowhere and drove humans to near extinction after they began devouring one person after another. In order to avoid total annihilation and rebuild society, humans have been forced to live in a small section of the world where three walls defend them from the Titans devouring them.

The manga focuses around this premise, along with how the humans fight against the menace that the Titans suppose. The story of Attack on Titan develops beautifully. Not only it is an original concept, which hasn’t been seen a lot in this media, but it also plays and develops it well. Despite the concept behind the story having been played down in the past by other similar apocalyptic series, this doesn’t apply to it. It not only focuses on the sheer horror that the human-devouring Titans present, but also on the very real human society which still exists and attempts to rebuild itself. Attack on Titan succeeds in not leaving any of these elements behind, and paints a clear picture of its world as a whole via its story. It leaves no elements behind, and doesn’t let its complexity bring it down. The story of this series is amongst the greatest that I have seen, and a real pleasure to follow.

One of the elements which I like the most of Attack on Titan, however, is its art. Not only is it beautiful, but it manages to convey exactly the sheer horror the Titans present. Though it appears strange at times, this only makes it all the better, as it represents fantastically all which the story represents. Not only the emotions of the characters; but also glory, courage, sadness, happiness, and finally horror precisely when it is required to do so. It completely memorable, and probably amongst the best that I have had the pleasure to read in the last years. It mixes with all of the elements of the story perfectly, and instead carries them forward.

The character cast is wide, well-developed, and complex. They all have motivations and are truly products of their world. They are incredibly human, not only the main protagonists (Eren, Mikasa, and Armin), but also the other secondary ones. None seem to fall into the typical stereotypes one might imagine, something welcome. But best of all, is how the author treats the characters as the plot develops. There are no qualms about what happens to them, or how events affect them. Whether characters live or die, they do so in a way which is not only completely natural to the story in the manga, but also in a way in which a reader is immediately marked by. There is no ignoring any certain character, or little events. Everything is relevant, and the author certainly succeeds in conveying this.

These elements make Attack on Titan an incredibly enjoyable read. Not only is the story original, but the way it is drawn just makes it even greater. Hajime Isayama presents everything in the most realistic and human way, whether horrifying or courageous, and it is something which made reading Attack on Titan a truly enjoyable experience from the very start. There was no point at which I was bored, and instead I could only continue reading it.

Attack on Titan certainly lives up to the hype behind it – a rare occurrence considering how this usually is not the case – and does not disappoint. The way in which all its elements converge make it a truly enjoyable experience, which I recommend for anyone who is interested in manga or good fiction at all. It works perfectly, and I can’t wait to see how Hajime Isayama will continue to deveop it in the future. Attack on Titan is in every way, awesometacular, and fully deserves a rating of 5/5 and a complete recommendation. To not read it would be to miss a truly great work of fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brutal and thrilling series, 20 Feb. 2014
Kevin Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
Attack on Titan is the first volume in a series that now numbers 11 books in the UK (soon to be 12) and also covers an excellent spin off Anime series.

I've not read much manga at all but my son picked this up as he'd heard great things about it so decided to read it and I was very impressed.

It tells the story of a world where humanity has had to retreat into a huge walled city, protected by a series of concentric circular walls, after they were attacked and nearly destroyed 100 years ago by the arrival of the Titans, brutal and seemingly mindless monsters bent on consuming humanity. amongst this it introduces it's protagonist Erren and his desire to join those fighting the Titan after a cruel childhood.

This first volume does spend a fair bit of time introducing the characters and setting up the world (doing this from the start rather than the snippets of back story often preferred in western books) and it works very well, a slow build to an excellent pay off. Once the action and excitement kick in it is relentless and brutal (and something of a theme of the series, you never know what's coming next).

The artstyle is something very different to what i'm used to and yet the slightly scratchy black and white style works very well here and helps to make the Titans feel really disturbing and freaky.

Overall a very good , inexpensive and I'd recommend it to any comic or manga fans. Give it a go, you might just get hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best manga, 20 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
When I first picked up this manga I was highly sceptical about it, first of all because of hype surrounding it. I tend to find that most of the popular manga nowadays aren't all they are capped up to be and are actually quite disappointing. The artwork also had me hesitant about reading it since is was like nothing I'd ever seen before in a shounen manga. But I decided to give it a go after hearing some friends talk about it. And it was the best decision I've ever made.

The story is absolutely fantastic. It's wonderfully played out, and you're constantly left wondering what will happen in the next chapter. The characters really come to life in this manga, as they each have their own unique personality, and I just love all the interaction with each other. Another thing I love about it is the fact that the main character isn't like your typical shounen protangonist at all, where he suddenly gets a power up during a fight and seemingly defeats all the villains. Eren, the main lead, gives it his all throughout the series, and yet most of the time the effort is futile and he has to experience the loss that comes along with it, usually in the form of a character death. Reading this manga is a very emotional experience, since you are so connected with each character from the start that it's a shock to watch them die after all they've been through.

While the art was disconcerting at first, and took me a long time to get used to, in my opinion it suits the manga very much. I can't imagine it any other way now that I've read the series. One thing to take into account it that it is quite scary and gorey, and may cause upset if you're not used to it.

I would highly recommend this manga to anyone interested in an action-adventure/shounen plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 12 May 2013
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
"On that day, mankind received a grim reminder: we lived in fear of the Titans and were disgraced to live in these cages we called walls."

Young Eren Jaeger and his foster sister Mikasa Ackerman live behind 50 feet tall walls alongside the other remnants of humanity. A little over 100 years ago, mankind finally found itself ousted from the top of the food chain; replacing them were the Titans, enormous man-eating giants who live solely to feast on humans. Those who survived their first onslaught built enormous 50 feet tall walls designed to keep them out, and it's worked so far. That is, until an even bigger Titan shows up and kicks down the wall, allowing his smaller brethren to come through and happily devour the poor townsfolk.

This is a manga that has won awards in Japan, has a fairly big fandom and was already making waves with the scanlations. It speaks to some of mankind's most primal fears, and it's absolutely bloody brilliant.

I love the designs of the Titans, for one thing. The Colossal Titan who shows up right at the beginning and towards the end is freaky as all hell, with no skin and far too many teeth fixed in a permanent grin, and the smaller Titans are just as unsettling, with sunburned skin, blissful expressions and again, permanent grins all the better to eat you with.

I read Junji Ito's The Enigma of Amigara Fault shortly after this manga, and you know, I think I'm more scared of being eaten alive by giants than I am sliding down into a cave hole my exact shape and having my limbs contort within the rock whilst I'm still alive and unable to turn around and get out.

The sense of panic is really well done in this manga, as is the sense of complete hopelessness. During a military parade to welcome home the remnants of the last Scouting platoon, it's clear to see that their numbers have severely dwindled and the majority of them are heavily injured. The mother of one of the soldiers runs up to the commanding officer, and after learning her son has died in battle against the Titans, tearfully asks if his death helped humanity in any way. The commanding officer stammers a bit, and then bursts into tears himself as he has to admit that nothing the platoon did helped humanity in the least.

When Eren and Mikasa's family friend Hannes, a member of the Stationary Guard jumps in to help the kids after they witness their house being crushed by a stray boulder, and a Titan lumbering into view, Hannes draws his sword and runs up to face it. The Titan leering down at him is enough for Hannes to put his sword away, turn tail and run away with Eren and Mikasa in tow.

Okay, fine, so it was a bit silly to run up to these Titans (who can regenerate any part of their bodies, but die immediately if you cut into the nape of their neck) as if you could just hack at their ankles, but the man has a 3D Manoeuvre Gear strapped to his thighs, which fires out cables you can use to fling yourself in any direction. For Hannes to just completely forget his training and give up is a great touch. Believe me, I'd probably have done the same.

I'm also really invested into the little plot threads this manga has left hanging. The first volume has this great cliffhanger, and there's also the matter of Eren's dad disappearing, how the Colossal Titan is able to just appear out of nowhere outside the wall and then disappear, and what the hell Eren's father was doing when he was injecting him. I know there was some kind of plague in the city a few years ago, but it could always be a red herring. Hm. (If I'm conflating the events of volume 2 with volume 1, I'm sorry. I read them one after the other.) I also really like how much thought has been put into the manga - the walls, the 3D Manoeuvre Gear, how humanity has studied the Titans over the years, et cetera.

The story does skip around a bit, though. Rather than letting the dust settle on the Colossal Titan's attack and what it did to this fraught population, we're thrown five years into the future, with Eren graduating from the military as one of its top ten candidates. It was rather jarring at first, but I got used to the story skipping around as I read more of the manga.

The artwork takes on a more realistic look (for manga, anyway), and it works really well in capturing expressions and fluid movement. It can be jerky at times, but I found it worked superbly.

5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5STARS, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Attack On Titan 1 (Paperback)
such a great comic. the illustration is fantastic and the story line had me hooked to the pages like i never have been with a comic before. i am buying the the whole series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›