on 1 June 2013
Anyone who has watched Al Kavadlo on you tube knows that this man walks the walk when it comes to calisthenics, in this book he shares his wisdom on three standard exercises, the push-up, the squat, and the bridge. Sounds too basic? Think again. Kavadlo will be your guide to maximising your performance on these exercises so that you will, if you are consistent in following his advice be way beyond average in performance after a few months. I have come to believe that the basic well known exercises performed well are all you need for physical fitness and strength, everything else is mere fluff. If you have this book and the Convict Conditioning books with perhaps Mark Lawrence's You Are Your Own Gym, you have the tools along with your own body to maintain superb physical fitness for life.
on 14 April 2014
This remarkable guy has transformed the way I look at training and keeping fit and strong. Pushing The Limits sets the bar in terms of calisthenics/body weight training and I cannot recommend it enough. Anyone familiar with Al's work will know from the posts on youtube, this guy performs extraordinary feats of strength and athleticism through the application of his approach to body weight training. I was past 50 years of age before I threw in the towel with isolation training and started following Al's approach. Following a body weight approach to training has transformed my physique and my levels of strength and sense of well being way beyond anything I achieved with weights, smelly gyms and fingerless gloves! Awesome.
on 30 April 2013
What can I say? Al Kavadlo is truly an inspiration to all who want to ditch the free weights in favour of body weight exercises.
A truly enjoyable read - makes you want to get off your butt and dive right in.
Do yourself a favour. Buy this book if you're interested in body weight training.
on 2 March 2014
It is a book on bodyweight exercise, but more importantly it is on the logical progressions between each exercise. You see bodyweight exercise is just like any other sort of exercise, at some point lifting your body becomes pretty easy and you have to knock out quite a few reps before you feel that “burn” … so one way of stopping you from having to do 200 pull ups (if only) is to make the pull up harder somehow.

Some people might put some weighted belt on and pull up wearing that, and this definitely works! But this book is more about variations of exercises rather than adding weight to your bodyweight workout.

Al provides you with variations to make the standard bodyweight exercises easier and harder … and there are a lot of variations let me tell you! Which is why it turns into a reference book after the first read through (glad I got an eBook of it now).

Near the end of the book, Al provides you with a list of exercises or workouts that you could perform to start with … everyone’s number one question really “what do I do to get stronger?”. However it is Al’s philosophy, or at least my take on it, that exercising should be seen as fun and a game and not something that is so strict … Fancy running around and doing some parkour type exercises, or mixing up your pulls with a headstand, if it feels like fun then just do it, it’s probably better for you this way. Which is why it is always great to find a like minded partner to train with, you’ll likely be friends for life!

Also you can check out his YouTube channel "Al Kavadlo" which is packed full of useful information and examples of exercises!

Thanks for putting this book together Al, we appreciate it!
All in all I give Al’s book a 5 star rating!
on 17 April 2014
Simple but brilliant most people can't do these exercises but once you start the results are amazing will change your thinking when it comes to training
on 17 September 2015
Great book. Very inspiring and helpful. I massively admire this man and that he is so open with his knowledge is a breath of fresh air. I was looking for suggested routines and yes, I understand other users comments on there not being much in this area. however, for the first time in my life, this is encouraging me to try and think for myself more with the exercises I want to work on, following the movement progressions, Al advises.
This is all helping me to put my own exercise plan together, something I have never done before. I am no expert in exercise, just an ordinary guy trying to do my best at 40 years of age, but this book is helping me to enjoy exercising with my own body weight in a way I never could working in a gym using whatever workout plans I could find and tear out of Men's health (though no disrespect intended to Men's health. but I have grown to love working out with my own body weight and this book has really opened up my eyes to what one can do with just his/her own body.)
I would highly recommend this book.
on 4 April 2016
This is the 4th book I've read by the Kavadlo brothers. They both bring different experiences and knowledge to the calesthenics and body weight world. And they know their stuff. This book by Al is a fantastic read full of very useful advice. What I love about it is the no nonsense simple approach. In a world where we are over saturated by complicated fitness and health advice it's refreshing to read books by people who can show you that hard work and a simple outlook is all you need to get results. Very grateful and highly recommended.
on 27 August 2014
One of the best books on bodyweight training for strength I have read. Add in the tension equals strength insights of Pavel from Naked Warrior and the gymnastic knowledge of Sommer in Building the Gymnastic Body, and you would have the perfect calisthenics triad in your library - that said this book could well stand alone, but not everyone has all the answers. Nicely presented with inspiring gritty photos and well written. A job well done!
on 15 April 2016
Excellent book! has definitely helped me improve my technique on my calisthenics journey. After reading this and implementing the techniques my reps decreased, however I am know back up to speed constantly improving on technique. As they say 1 step back 2 steps forward!! highly recommend, inspirational
on 8 February 2016
Great book if you're looking for a different way to train. The fact that every new exercise is a challenge to master adds more motivation. It would, however; be better if each exercise was it's own chapter, so it can be used for reference easier.