5.0 out of 5 stars Great bodyweight exercise DVD set at an amazing price.
I thought I should start this review by saying something about myself - I'm a 56 year old male and a sedentary worker who sits in front of a computer all day, as are so many of us these days!

I try to do some daily exercise, eg. running, swimming, yoga, cycling and also some gym classes so am reasonably fit.

I used Beachbody P90X: Tony Horton's...
Published 15 months ago by Simonides

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy addition to the book but App is better
I have to start off by saying this program is very good. No gimmicks, very practical & allows a good progression from couch to fit. I got the book which is excellent & a good reference point for the future.
Published 9 months ago by Bryan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bodyweight exercise DVD set at an amazing price., 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)

I used Beachbody P90X: Tony Horton's 90-Day Extreme Home Fitness Workout DVD Programme a couple of years ago and would recommend it. In fact, most of the Beachbody DVDs are great. P90X started me exercising in the morning before going to work and I lost five kg in about 5 months which I've kept off since then. I also enjoy Les Mills PUMP Workout - Workout 3 times a week. Both P90X and Les Mills Pump require a set of weights and in the case of P90X, a pullup bar for the door frame.

Recently, there's a been a lot in the press about how much better High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is than prolonged exercise sessions so I looked around for some material to help me with that. Mark Lauren's virtually cornered the market as far as I can see, with his books, apps and particularly this DVD set. He was a US Army physical training instructor so should know what he's talking about.

I prefer an exercise DVD to a book as I can put it in the DVD player and follow along without having to study the books first. That said, I've read the book as well, but I'm here to talk about the DVDs. The YAYOG DVD set is oustandingly good value compared with the Beachbody products and does not require any equipment.

You get three DVDs (Novice, Intermediate and Advanced) but no instructions on how best to use them. Here's what you need to know (and thanks to Mark Lauren, who answers mails promptly - always a good sign.) He suggests that you do a workout every other day, or three times a week. Each workout is preceded by a Warmup and is followed by a Cool Down. Each workout comprises four separate exercises arranged as Timed Sets, Ladders or Circuit training so there's some variety between the days, although the Warmup and Cool Down sessions never change.

Everyone should start with the Novice DVD so a possible schedule is
Monday - Warmup, Novice workout #1, Cool Down
Wednesday - Warmup, Novice workout #2 , Cool Down
Friday - Warmup, Novice workout #3, Cool Down. You get the idea!
You can do something like going for a walk on the other four days of the week.

I spent two weeks on each of the first two DVDs, not moving to the next level until I'd completed each workout twice - there are three workouts on each DVD. Each level builds on the previous one and increases the duration slightly.

After three months, I still find the Advanced DVD quite challenging. I like the style and recently bought his new EFX program which is like another Advanced DVD, with three workouts that you can alternate with those on the YAYOG Advanced DVD. I can't say for sure how much of my fitness is due to the YAYOG DVD set, but I can say that it's a significant and worthwhile component of my overall exercise routine. I don't do the P90x now, but I try to do Les Mills Pump and a yoga dvd at least once a week.

Pros
1. Apart from a towel and bottle of water, no equipment is needed. No doors, tables, pullup bars or weights! A good idea if you travel or just don't want to rely on equipment being available.
2. Structured HIIT exercise routines given by an expert not just a `celebrity' trainer
3. Three DVD levels gives you a path to follow as you get fitter. You can also get the book You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises and app (but don't need either to get the most from this DVD set.)
4. Short exercise sessions (25-45 minutes depending on level)
5. Mark's presentation is very calm and professional - no jokes, loud pop music etc. For me, that means that I'm less likely to get irritated and move to another product.
6. Extremely good value compared with other market-leading multi DVD presentations.

Cons
1. You just get the case and three DVDs, no instruction leaflet or PDF manual.
2. Nutrition is a very important part of any exercise program and Mark Lauren just mentions his website ([...] for more information. He could have included the nutrition section of his book, for example, on the DVD.
3. Warmup and cooldown routines do not change between DVDs (this is a really minor point!) A full stretch/Ashtanga yoga workout to do on your rest days would have been the icing on the cake.

I'm including the below track listing which you may find useful (thanks to Daj on the Amazon.com site)

Warm Up (Time: 5:17) | Exercises: Internal/External Arm Rotations, Big Arm Circles, Bow & Bend, Full Body Circles, Bent Over Torso Twist, Front Lunges, Up & Down Planks

Novice Workout #1: Timed Sets (Time: 14:30) | Exercises: Sumo Squats, Pointers, Mountain Climbers, Swimmers
Novice Workout #2: Ladders (Time: 17:18) | Exercises: Back Lunges, Four Count Burpees, Pointers, Thumbs Up
Novice Workout #3: Circuit Training (Time: 12:56) | Exercises: Dynamic Squats, Military Presses, Fast Swimmers, Mountain Climbers

Intermediate Workout #1: Timed Sets (Time: 19:45) | Exercises: Dynamic Squats, Military Presses, Fast Swimmers, Mountain Climbers
Intermediate Workout #2: Ladders (Time: 19:26) | Exercises: Side Lunges, Romanian Dead Lifts, Push-Ups, Thumbs Up
Intermediate Workout #3: Circuit Training (Time: 17:21) | Exercises: Star Jumpers, Half Dive Bombers, Side V-Ups, Hip Raisers

Advanced Workout #1: Timed Sets (Time: 26:18) | Exercises: Star Jumpers, Half Dive Bombers, Side V-Ups, Hip Raisers
Advanced Workout #2: Ladders (Time: 23:42) | Exercises: Front Lunges, One-Legged Warriors, Dive Bombers, Thumbs Up
Advanced Workout #3: Circuit Training (Time: 22:21) | Exercises: Iron Mikes, Bouncing Push-Ups, Jack Knifes, One-Legged Hip Raisers

Cool Down (Time: 5:58) | Exercises: Leg/Arm/Shoulder Stretches

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, 19 Jun. 2013
Mrs. C. Coptu (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
I already own the book by Mark 'You are your own gym' which is brilliant!. I turned 31 this year and after 2 kids I definitely noticed how my body started to change and how much harder it is to maintain my ideal weight. His explanation on why this happens makes total sense. I was attracted by the book because I simply have no time for gym as I am a full time mum and the idea that I can achieve the body I want in my living room with no equipment sounded great. As I said the book is great, however for me it's so much easier to see once than to read the instructions a thousand times. there is still a chance that I may be doing it wrong. I waited for over 6 months for the UK release and it did not disappoint. I have Mark Lauren in my living room guiding me through all the exercises. They are simple to fallow yet very effective when done correctly. Mark makes you push yourself and puts a great emphasis on form. I have already done a few weeks of the novice program from the book, so found the novice CD too easy so after one week jumped straight to the intermediate which I have done for 2 weeks now. I already feel stronger and slightly more toned in my arms. However do not expect to loose weight unless you also fallow Mark's advice on food you will consume while on this program. The only thing I would mention is that I think is good to have the book so you can change the exercises you do from time to time as it can become too boring doing the same thing for a few weeks in a row, therefore I give it 4 stars. Otherwise simple, no nonsense, easy to fallow exercises and the price is great compared to other high profile exercise DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good system, 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
This is a great workout series. I bought it primarily as I am currently to busy to get to my gym on a regular basis, and wanted something effective that wouldn't take more than an hour of my time.

Well, each workout is under 30 minutes long, including the warmup and cooldown. So with a shower afterwards I am well within my hour.

The only thing I need other than a DVD player is an exercise mat. You don't need any other equipment at all.

What do you get?
Well, you get three dvds; beginner, intermediate and advanced.
The beginner DVD consists of the following:

1. Intro
2. Walm Up
3. Reps
You have to do an exercise for twenty seconds, then rest twenty seconds. Repeat four times.
You are given four exercises in total.
4. Ladder
You are given two exercises two do. You do one rep of one, then one rep of the other, then two reps of one, and two reps of the other. Then, three and four reps, then back down doing three, and two. Then you do them all again. Once that is finished you are given two different exercises.
5. Circuit
You are given four exercises. You do twenty seconds of exercise one, rest ten seconds, then twenty seconds of exercise two to four. Then rest twenty seconds and repeat that four times.
6. Cool down.

The idea is that on monday, you do warmup, reps and cooldown, on wednesday you do warmup, ladder and cooldown, and on friday you do warmup, circuit and cooldown.

What I liked best is that the exercises you do on the reps are different to the ladder and circuit. So there is plenty of variety through the week. I also liked the fact that once you finish the main workout the DVD automatically jumps to the cooldown.

Does it work? Well, it certainly brings out a sweat. I've only been doing it a few weeks but already I'm feeling a lot more agile. I haven't lost any weight, but thats more due to diet rather than this exercise regime. I am interested in improved fitness, as opposed to weight loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
Mark Lauren is a great fitness instructor. His serious but amiable approach to working out really makes you want to push yourself through the workout. I have just moved on from novice to intermediate and motivated to continue with this program. There is a great iPhone app available too for YAYOG which I will follow after I have completed the advanced workout..

I do this DVD workout 3 times a work with cardio on YAYOG days and have seen fantastic results in strength and weight loss.

Highly recommended - and for this price - it is an absolute bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good For A Challenge, 2 July 2013
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
This DVD I was pleased to see following on from the book of the same name. It is comprehensive with really good explanation of the exercises. Mark knows what he is talking about, I just wish he would not look so serious and make it look like he was enjoying himself a bit more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy addition to the book but App is better, 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
The DVD is good to see how some of the exercises are executed but is a bit limited in terms of the wealth of exercises & information contained in the book & app. The YAYOG app is by far the best value for money & allows you to see each exercise being performed with guidance & commentary. If it was me I would buy the book & the app.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 May 2014
Mr - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
FIst a bit about myself, I think I'm reasonably fit with 3 classes per week, one run and maybe a bike ride.
I tried P90x and whilst I enjoyed it for a few weeks and made some progress, I found the workouts way too long. Most are about an hour, then sometimes the Ab Ripper disc on top of that. Yoga is about a 90 minutes, and I just found it too much of a commitment. This however is 20 minutes or so per workout which is far more manageable. There is also a short warm up and cool down which can be skipped, but I enjoy them. They probably only add another 10 minutes in total. The three discs are for novice, intermediate and advanced workouts. You choose when you want to move on.
I'm still doing the novice which is reasonably tough but achievable and you'll get a good sweat on. You start with the optional warm up then pick your workout- either times sets, ladders or circuits. The cooldown plays at the end. There are 4 exercises per workout and they're pretty challenging. No equipment is required. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great dvd, 9 Sept. 2013
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
so easy to follow, worth the money. I do 15 minutes every day in the comfort of my own home

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this. Wish I'd started it years ago., 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
What can I say? I bought the book and started working out. When I found the DVDs I also got them. This is a truly life-changing program. I am still losing weight, am fitter than since my 20s and am feeling great into the bargain.
I am completely committed to this.

Let's be clear - it's not easy. Not even "novice" if, like me, you've let yourself go completely. But stick with it for a couple of weeks and you really start to see the benefits.

*to be on the safe side, see a doctor before starting the program!

5.0 out of 5 stars yoy are your own gym, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set (DVD)
I've only had this DVD for a few days, and although when I first started doing the novice DVD I thought it would be too easy. It's a lot harder than it looks but can already feel the difference and know that its working. Not sure when I'll be able to move to the next DVD but there is also a 'boot camp' workout on this one which mixes it up a bit. Well worth the money

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set
You Are Your Own Gym 3 DVD Set by Mark Lauren (DVD)