1,236 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOOFS REALITY TV SHOWS
Published 21 months ago by THE MOVIE GUY

3.0 out of 5 stars Hunger, Hunger, Hunger Katniss Hooooooooo!
Published 23 months ago by Sam Tyler

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOOFS REALITY TV SHOWS, 3 Aug. 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
All science fiction futuristic societies are written to have a message about the current day. This is normally contained within the text, or a line someone speaks. The movie starts giving us some background for the games, but we don't know why there was a rebellion in the first place, something that is in the book. The rebellion resulted in a lottery where teens from the various districts must now compete in a survivor battle to the death, all for the entertainment of the audience. Early in the film we hear, "If no one watches, we won't have a game." In other words if we stop watching reality TV shows, they will be taken off the air...not exactly a bad thing.

In those other films the evil of society had been either, capitalism, socialism, the super rich, corporations, religion, or science. The irony of the film/book is that it makes fun of the viewer/reader for enjoying it. They are the problem with today's voyeuristic dummy down society, which like the movie can be divided into two groups" Those who see the movie/games as entertainment. And the intellectuals who realize the metaphor contained within. I'm loving it! (Pardon my pop culture response, but it seems apropos.)

There is a stark contrast in wealth and dress between those who participate in the games and the society who runs them. However, it is those who participate who ultimately empower those who run them, just like with war, the second message of the film which dates from Homer "War is old men lying, young men dying."

Jennifer Lawrence, who I thought was Oscar worthy in "Winter's Bone," immediately becomes our heroine when she volunteers to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games. We don't expect her to die anytime soon. As the fighting begins I kept wondering if they were going to simply fight for everyone's entertainment or are we going to get a Captain Kirk/Agorn moment when he has defeated his opponent and refuses to kill him shouting, "You are going to have to get your entertainment elsewhere!" Or maybe we could end it like "Death Race 2000" where Frankenstein kills the president...but I am getting way ahead of myself.

The victims, or tributes as they are called, are paraded and cheered having done nothing...similar to reality show TV "stars." (Yes I mean you talentless Snooki.) People wildly cheer because...they can. Woody Harrelson helps to bridge the time from when Jennifer Lawrence is selected until the fighting begins. Donald Sutherland appears as an unrealistic unlikeable President Snow, a composite character representing the evil of society. There are interviews and pageantry prior to the games during which time we get to know more about Jennifer and very little about the other contestants. It would have been nice to have known some of the quirky combatants and have them killed in ironic ways to their character, but maybe that was too much to ask about a film about shallow entertainment.

Jennifer, with her honesty and rebellious attitude has become the fan favorite and our favorite because she is the only contestant that we know. She lacks the killer instinct...until she must. Alliances form and everyone wants to get the fan favorite aka Rambette Jennifer Lawrence, who did an excellent job to give girls a heroine being both a compassionate woman and a huntress. Like all reality TV shows, when the drama starts to fade the program directors add an element to push it in the direction that they want.

No f-bombs, sex, or nudity. "Safe" for kids to watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, faithful adapatation, 27 Oct. 2013
I actually saw the movie before reading the books, and then ended up reading the entire trilogy within a week.
This is actually a very good adaptation of the book, and the vast majority of the (relatively few) changes make sense in the context of the movie adaptation, and are in line with the tone and feel of the books.

---Brief story overview: Set in the future in the nation of Panem, where the 'capitol' rules over 12 surrounding 'districts'. After a rebellion by the (then 13) districts, which was crushed by the capitol, the capitol strengthened its grip and introduced the Hunger Games. In order to remind the districts of the horrors of the rebellion, and that they are contsantly under capitol control, the districts are forced to send a boy and a girl aged 12-18, picked out of a hat, every year to fight to the death in the Hunger Games. Katniss Everdeen from district 12, the main character, volunteers in the place of her sister who was chosen. This is basically her story.

---Visually, the film is very well done. The CGI is thankfully quite limited (which is good as it isn't the best in the scenes where it is more liberally used - the final action piece in the arena comes to mind), and the art direction and production design is really great. The capitol really evokes a sense of power and strength, and the aesthetic and major landmarks in the capitol blend a modern aesthetic with more retro looks inspired by classic skyscrapers and fascist arhcitecture, to a great effect. The arena is also well done and very close to how it is described in the book, essentially a big forest with rivers and stuff. There is a distinct contrast between the unsaturated hues and grey tones of district 12 (a poor miner's district) and the overly colorful, bright tones of the capitol, where the fashion trends are excessivley flashy and colorful (again, as described in the novel).

---The acting is generally very good, with a mix of new, young actors/actresses (Josh Hutcherson, the rest of the tributes, Liam Hemsworth), more established names (Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks), and then of course Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss ... and Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, who actually does pretty well in the role. J-Law is generally on form, playing the balance between Katniss's strength and courage, and her vulnerability, very well. Josh is very good in the role of Peeta, generally spot-on in terms of the novel's characterization and good acting-wise, except for maybe a few line deliveries that seem slightly off. Liam Hemsworth doesnt have much to do in this one, but does fine with what he's given - and the rest of the cast is as strong as the names in them. Sutherland is a perfect fit for president Snow; Harrelson is fantastic as Haymitch; Banks is unrecognizable and spot-on as Effie; and Stanley Tucci gives a great performance as well.

---The plot and writing is generally good, and the movie paces itself quite nicely. Some may find it a bit slow or boring at first, as the games don't start for a while, but I enjoyed it as it effectively builds the world of the film, establishes characteriations, and introduces the viewer to the film's context and universe quite well. Once in the arena, less emphasis is placed on the 'survival' aspect than in the novel (food, water, cold, etc.) which is unfortunate but possibly inherent of the movie format, where it is more difficult to 'stretch' things out time-wise without overly lengthening the run-time. A few details from the book are changed, especialy in the ending, and there are a few unexplained or under-explored themes and elements to the movie, but nothing to really undermine the viewing experience.

_______
SUMMARY
Plot/Writing: 8/10
Acting: 8/10
Visuals/Sound: 9/10
Overall score: 8.5/10

Faitfulness of Adaptation: 9/10

+ Faithful Adaptation
+ Very well-realized aesthetic
+ Great sound and sound editing
+ Good ensemble cast
- Certain underexplored themes/plot elements/elements of the world of Panem
- Pacing may seem a bit slow for some

3.0 out of 5 stars Hunger, Hunger, Hunger Katniss Hooooooooo!, 5 Jun. 2013
"Choo, Choo", the sound of `The Hunger Games' hype train coming into the station. I have to admit that this is a series that never really crossed my reading list, but as a fan of dystopian futures it should just be my bag. Katniss Everdeen is a young women living in one of various zones of Panem. Each year two young people from each zone are chosen to fight to the death in The Hunger Games as a way of reminding the general populous of a great battle that once occurred. Can Katniss survive the deadly game, and do we care?

For me, `The Hunger Games' is an ideas film; some of which work, other that fail to make sense. For a dystopian future to work it has to make sense - the world of Panem does not. The concept of the game itself is bizarre enough, but just about believable. The only problem is that `Battle Royale' did it already and better. I had more issues with the society on a wider level. This is a world obsessed with appearances on the surface, yet the TV show hosts and President are old. If director Gary Ross (or original writer and credited screen writer on the film Suzanne Collins) was trying to reflect on our own obsession with increasingly young leaders, why cast Donald Sutherland as the ruler? There are many small niggling issues like this with the world building in `The Hunger Games', but for most people they may not even notice.

As a film, it is ok. Jennifer Lawrence is certainly the star of the film and she brings her Oscar level of gravitas to a pretty bland role. The sections set during the games themselves are thrilling and will certainly make younger viewers tense. I was slightly more interested in the political intrigue going on outside and hope this is explored more in later films. With such a violent concept at its core, `Hunger' is hampered by its certificate and origins. There are thrills, but they are tempered as not to upset. Also there are some elements of the film that feel `Harry Potter' like. In a future world of stark realism, why have Katniss praised all the time - screams children's novel. Despite my misgivings about the film, there is still enough entertainment on offer to make it a solid, if uninspiring film.

As a spectacle it is worth watching in HD as the lush foliage looks great on BluRay. Fans of the film and books will also get a lot from the extras on the disc; they cover almost every element of making the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good movie, better book, 7 Jan. 2013
Having read the book (see my review) I decided to see how the movie measured up. I have trouble visualising places etc when I'm reading, and so it was good to actually see the places on screen. Effie looked so outrageously over the top, as did a lot of the people in the capitol. The scene in which they set them on fire (Apologies if you haven't read the book, or seen the film yet) is pretty spectacular. I was looking forward to seeing the Tracker Jackers (wasps) and the Wolf like creatures and I was most impressed by the wasps - the way the film makers bring across Kat's hallucinations via a peculiar camera lens is good to watch. My only problem with the wolves, was the whole scene was cut down. There is a lot more violence in the book, as opposed to the film where it is toned down - my personal thoughts on this, is that it should have received a certificate 15, not a 12. There are not a lot of differences between the film and the book, and putting the reduced violence aside, there are 2 better changes, as follows. The Mockingjay pin, which the Mayor's daughter gives to Kat in the book; In the film, Kat is given it by a black market trader and gives it to Prim. After taking her place, Prim gives it to Kat, which not only makes more sense, it makes it more personal. The second is an additional scene, after Rue is murdered, in the book there is no mention of a riot in District 11, where you see one in the movie. All in all, despite making comparisons to the book, early on, I then just watched the DVD and enjoyed it thoroughly. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie - now I have read the book, 31 Dec. 2012
Together with Sucker Punch, this is my favourite movie of the year (in terms of movies I have watched for the first time.)

I rate this movie 5 stars because I am keen to see it again and it has motivated me to read the book. In my view, the movie is a very faithful adaption of the novel. In fact, I think the differences in the movie served to improve the story for the most part, increasing the drama, tension, action and emotion. So in short, I prefer the movie to the book.

If you have not read the book, I would suggest watching the movie first without looking at spoilers like I did. The movie is less predictable than the book, because the way the book is written.

The story is quite harrowing and tragic as it involves adolescents having to fight to the death in an event organised by a repressive state.

Some participants take on the role of the bully. But the heroine (Katniss Everdeen) clearly represents the best qualities of courage, compassion, loyalty and sacrifice; while also being fragile and fallible. She is thrown into a situation which is contrary to her personality and has to struggle to survive.

I think there is a lot of symbolism in the story I remember adolescent (and indeed early adult) life to be very competitive as our natural instinct to survive and prosper drives us on, often making us cruel and selfish, often against our natural character.

Also, I think the idea of the state organising the games reflects the fact that society itself often encourages such destructive competitiveness, either through the cult of celebrity, advertising, the need to earn money to survive (often doing work we don't like) or even pressure from parents and peers.

There are some limitations in the movie. Some important minor characters could have done with more development and this resulted in minor plot holes. But we have to expect limitations in a movie and I judge it as such, remembering that this is principally the story of Katniss. On the other hand, there are ties when the movie includes events not existing in the book. So it works both ways.

Anyway great movie, not only with decent entertainment, but also with philosophical matters to consider, should you be interested in that aspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars & MAY THE ODDS BE AWAYS IN YOUR FAVOUR..., 9 Oct. 2012
1st off I didn't know the books (but since at the moment I'm too curious to see the next development in store, I'm reading the saga & I suggest them too ;-P) so I wasn't biased, however from what I know by now it seems that the the film doesn't betray their essence: anyway there's 1 difference, a style preference if you want, the HG book is told in 1st person by the protagonist Katniss, while the film isn't, not even a voice-over, but overall I've loved it!
Probably just the finale of the movie, running too quickly compared to the detailed book (sort of cliffhanger), makes the viewer losing the real taste of it even if you understand it, but maybe they'll reprise it to some degree for the sequel.

It's not difficult to enter the gloomy mood & get to the core of the main characters, even if the film isn't overlong (this is a thing in fact I've found annoying about other fantasy movies, where you tend to lose the focus half way of the story, this doesn't happen here, the pace & plot is gripping from beginning to end).
Thank goodness it has nothing to share with the "Twilight" saga (apart the same age range of the characters), it's more ambitious & reminded me the concept of "Lord of the flies" book & our gladiators' old spetacle, spiced up with sci-fi/action films "Death race" style.
...Like in modern days' corrida, think if you were a bull with no choice, what would you do? well fight till death basically, but animals don't have our coscience, so naturally you can see the point of the movie, till where would you push yourself before losing your humanity as well?

The "mors tua vita mea" concept never grows old, this time it's covered by a new interesting approach: it's linked to the reality show's idea we're experimenting living this era, how much this could affect us (combined with the important political/social issue). This whole intertwined with people's feelings too (also the romantic side is handled in a genuine way, not the usual cliché) & with the implicit question underneath for our heroes "you would stay the same if able to reach fame & fortune?". On top of that there's also a strong female protagonist, which clearly it's always a good thing.
As others said I agree about the actors, they fit well these roles (who knew to see even rocker Lenny Kravitz?!) & I think for next movies they'll progress further, now that the foundations of the story & characters' background have been introduced.

I've heard someone saying it isn't as gory as expected, but in my opinion it's enough this way, the tension is more psychological than like in a videogame for inst., this fleshes more its substance: regardless I still don't think it's suitable for little children.

_Last thing pay attention to purchase the 2-discs version or you won't have any extra in the simple 1...

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the games begin, 12 Sept. 2012
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The film version of the first book in a hugely popular trilogy of young adult science fiction dystopian novels comes to dvd, after a hugely successful cinema release.

For those who haven't read the book:

Near future America. Now called Panem. Somewhen after a devastating war. The country is divided into twelve districts. Some of which are richer than others. All provide vital resources. And all are ruled over by the capitol. Ever since the war, by way of punishment, each district has to send two teenagers to the capital every year for the hunger games. One male. One female. Twenty four competitors. They go into a sealed environent. Fight to the death. And only one can come out.

It's reality tv taken to the extreme. The stylish residents of the capital love the hunger games and betting on who will win.

Impoverished mining district 12 has only ever had one winner in all the years of the games. But when Katniss Everdeen, district 12 resident, a girl who helps support her family via hunting, since she's a crackshot with a bow, has to volunteer to take part in the games in order to save her sister from them, her world will never be the same again. Katniss is a loner, but she has to get used to the world of the capital. Working with other people, from her would be mentor to fellow competitor Peeta, a boy she barely knows. And she will have to fight to survive if she ever wants to see her family again....

The world of the hunger games sees people hooked on questionable reality tv. It sees a privileged and wealthy elite ruling a world where the poorer people feel ever more disenfrancished. And it sees a girl learning to trust and work with others and to do the right thing. It has lots of themes. Plus an excellent and strong central character. Someone who doesnt have superpowers, but is a credible and believable creation thus someone you can relate to. This is why the books are so popular.

Near future science fiction is a tricky thing to get right because, as they say, the one thing you can be sure about in regards to the future is that it won't look anything like we expect it will. But there's some excellent design work here which does go a long way towards creating a credible future society. From the impoversished mining area of district 12 to the bright fashions and futuristic buildings of the capital.

Jennifer Lawrence is perfect casting in the lead, bringing Katniss superbly to life.

Since the book was written entirely in first person present tense, the movie opts to focus on Katniss via lots of moments when she has no dialogue and moments of violence being done via fast moving handheld steadicams. It's an approach that succeeds, thanks also to the strength of the character and the portrayal.

It also opens the story out somewhat by having scenes that Katniss doesnt appear in. This being a change from the book. But these succeed because they show more of her world and add extra depth to some of the characters. There are two whom readers of the book might think differently about come the end as a result.

The casting of all the supporting characters is also good, Donald Sutherland in particular making President Snow a credible creation and a good three dimensional character.

In order to get a certificate that would allow younger viewers to watch, this is somewhat toned down from the book, all the violence as mentioned being fast and blurry and there being no blood. Even so this and the themes of the story mean a twelve certificate is about right and it wouldn't be ideal for anyone younger.

Readers of the book will find some minor changes but those are there to make it work as a movie, and it does that very well. If you really want to know all the differences then an internet search will bring up a lengthy articles that detail all of them But there's really nothing too major.

Half the film is the build up to the games. The other is the games themselves. Despite this the pace of the first half never drags. There are quieter and slower moments in the second half so it's not quite as pacy but that's down to there being some quieter moments during this period.

This is a very good adaptation of a strong novel, and a fine bit of science fiction for our times as well. And it's worth five stars.

The disc has the following language and subtitle options:

Subtitles; English.

Languages: English.

It begins with a few trailers but you can skip these via the next button on the dvd remote.

This is also a dvd of the kind they hardly make anymore. A two disc edition, the second disc being laden with extras.

Game Maker: A thirteen minute long feature about the origin of the book and it's popularity. Featuring lots of contributions from readers and fans and publishers. Book writer Suzanne Collins is a bit conspicuous by her absence though.

The world is watching: a two hour long making of documetary. This can be watched all at once, or in one of eight shorter sections. These range in length from nine to twenty minutes. This is a great feature for budding film makers as director Gary Ross is an excellent contributor, going into great detail about all sorts of creative choices and matters.

Letters from the Rose Garden: a nine minute long feature about Donald Sutherland and how he got the role of President Snow. It features him reading an email he sent Gary Ross with his thoughts on the character, which is superbly written and very well read. Thus this feature is highly recommended viewing.

Controlling the games; a five minute long feature, with more from Gary Ross, all about the design of the games control room.

A conversation with Gary Ross and Elvis Mitchell. A fifteen minute long chat between the director and a film critic, the latter asking some interesting questions about a few of the issues the movie raises. A lot of the running time of this is simply clips from the film, but the rest is thoughtful viewing.

Propaganda film: a two minute long feature, showing the film that you see in the movie which tells the origin of the Hunger Games.

Marketing archive; two short galleries of all the various posters for the film and stills from it's production.

Great movie. Great extras. Excellent Dvd as a whole.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining fun, but pulls its punches a few times, 8 Sept. 2012
A. Whitehead "Werthead" (Colchester, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Post-apocalyptic North America is controlled by Panem, a dictatorial state which enforces control through discipline and fear. Every year, two 'tributes' from each of Panem's twelve districts are chosen at random to do battle to the death. The survivor of the carnage becomes rich and famous, and the people are reminded of the Capitol's power. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her sister's place in the games, and must find a way to win despite her lack of experience and training.

The Hunger Games is an adaptation of Suzanne Collins's YA novel of the same name and closely follows the events of the novel. Like the book, the film pits Katniss Everdeen in a fight to the death against twenty-three other youngsters, including her fellow contestant from District 12, Peeta Mellark. The story is divided into two distinct sections, the first involving Katniss's selection and preparation for the games and the second depicting the contest itself. This shift in setting and tone halfway through the film helps sustain and the tension and drama through the movie's running time (which, at almost two and a half hours, is fairly long for a YA movie).

The script closely follows the plot of the novel, apart from a fairly elegant solution to the problem of the book being based on Katniss's heavily-internalised experiences. In the novel Katniss can only speculate on the motives of the people running the game, but in the film we cut away to what's going on the game control centre and with President Snow. This expands the scope of the film a little and helps set up the sequels rather better than the novel, which was not written with sequels in mind and didn't layer in a lot of foreshadowing for what would come after.

The movie follows the book in presenting the Hunger Games as a satire on modern reality TV shows, but through the visual medium is able to take this a lot further through film clips of people commentating on the game like it was the latest season of The X-Factor. Unfortunately, rather like the book, the film also does not take this satirical edge far enough, instead opting for raising questions and then not exploring them far enough. This problem also extends to the story's use of violence and morality. As in the novel, Katniss and Peeta are never put into a position of having to kill any of the other victims of the game, only the 'bad guys' who revel in it. The movie cops out on putting Katniss and Peeter in real moral quandaries, which is a shame. The film also has variable CGI, with depictions of the Capitol's cityscape looking decidedly sub-par in places.

Aside from that, the film works pretty well. The movie is quite long but there's a lot of plot to fit in. Director Gary Ross has a crip, fast-paced directing style that moves us through the novel's major story beats without sacrificing too much atmosphere. He often finds concise ways of giving us backstory and worldbuilding information without having to waste time on exposition, which keeps things moving along nicely.

Performances are pretty good. The movie hinges on Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal of Katniss and she nails the role perfectly, bringing the required mixture of anger, determination, bravery and guilelessness. Josh Hutcherson has to settle for merely being good in the role of Peeta, with more established performers like Stanley Tucci, Toby Jones, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson and, of course, Donald Sutherland fufilling their roles with aplomb. Sutherland brings an air of real menace to the role of President Snow that bodes well for the sequels. Lenny Kravitz also impresses in the role of Cinna, though this role has been cut down from the books somewhat.

With a good script, economic story-telling and solid performances, The Hunger Games (***½) is overall an enjoyable movie. It loses some of the depth of the secondary characters and subplots over the novels, but on every other level is a very respectable adaptation. It is available now in the UK (DVD, Blu-Ray) and USA (DVD, Blu-Ray).

3.0 out of 5 stars Hungry for more ? Not so sure, 8 April 2012
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
With few decent releases on over Easter, my 16 year old daughter and I succumbed to the hype and went to see The Hunger Games. Not having read the books we went in cold and with hopes fairly high but left slightly non-plussed to be honest.

I found it difficult to engage with the pouty and aloof lead character Katniss, played by the too-old-for-18 Jennifer Lawrence. We were fed small scraps of information regarding her background as the film proceeded but by the end we still only knew that her father was a dead miner, she had a younger sister and was good at shooting squirrels with a bow. Her sector partner Peeta was a nice guy but a charisma free zone and there was a distinct lack of chemistry between them. It was left to Woody Harleson to provide the talent as their eccentric and maverick mentor Haymitch, but we have seen this character from him far too often for it to be novel and entertaining anymore.

The game itself was just ok to be honest but lacking in real tension despite lives at stake and survival at all costs. There were some pretty lethal blades on display but being a 12 rating, the violence was toned down and blurred out which reduced the impact of a group fight to the death. The producers must have deliberated over this as the books were written for teens but I think the average 14 year old would have been a bit bored to be honest and scenes often dragged. I certainly didn't sense much excitement in the cinema audience on our visit.

Outside of the games, things were a bit better with some excellent and far out costumery worn by the "beautiful people" in a kind of modern day Rome meets Dangerous Liaisons but it was a pity that imagination didn't stretch to the anorak-clad contestants' garb who looked like modern day kids on their Duke of Edinburgh scheme. Too much was also made of getting sponsors to like and help the competitors (in the excellent interview parody scenes) only for this thread to play no further part in the plot. Katniss and Peeta were only parachuted in a bowl of soup and some meds from Haymitch himself despite her being rated as an "eleven" in the public X-Factor style build-up. I was hoping for some skulduggery to add twists and turns to the contest but none was forthcoming sadly and the forming of teams was slightly weird in an event that could only have one winner.

Future death match games have been done better before (Running Man/Rollerball etc) and the director was obviously hampered by the 12 rating here but as this is the first in the trilogy I will be interested to see how the plot and characters develop in Catching Fire. Just not on the edge of my seat...

4.0 out of 5 stars A good film but the book is better, 29 Dec. 2013
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The story of THE HUNGER GAMES is a great one - set sometime in the future, Katniss Everdeen lives in a world where, every year a Reaping takes place. Each of the twelve districts have to offer up one female and one male tribute to the games, as penance for an uprising against the Capitol. The games are to the death - the last one standing becoming the victor. As I like to do, I read the book before watching the film, and I have to say that although the film is good, the book is far better.

The book is narrated by Katniss, which means that as the reader, we are able to 'see' everything from her perspective. We get to understand her thoughts, feelings, assumptions and reasoning. With a film, of course, the viewer loses this. I think this means that the film loses the development of the other characters; as a viewer, we understand that they are all going to have to either kill or be killed, but their turmoil of having to turn on those they may have developed an alliance with is glossed over. I also felt that the 'romance' between Katniss and Peeta suffered on screen. In the book, this is again a large part of the plot, as Katniss struggles to reconcile pretending romantic feelings just to keep her alive. In the film, although this is highlighted, again it feels as though it has been slightly glossed over.

Having said all of that, I did enjoy the film. I am also looking forward to seeing the second instalment.

The Hunger Games [DVD]
The Hunger Games [DVD] by Gary Ross (DVD - 2013)