4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Four-Star Film of a Five-Star Book
Firstly I have read the books and I loved them. They were brutal, funny, tragic, romantic and heartwrenching. Everything a good adventure novel should be.
Published 19 months ago by Pantheon

3.0 out of 5 stars Lord of the Flies - American Style
Interesting how Art mimics Life. The Americans produce many films about bad men, desperadoes, maniacs, killers, gangsters and the like - exactly reflecting the kind of society they have. They also produce many films about extremely wealthy people lording it over the general population, who are often depicted as relatively poor or living in squalor - just like in real...
Published 1 month ago by S. Ahmad

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Four-Star Film of a Five-Star Book, 4 Sep 2012
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
So it was I was waiting eagerly for the film. I never got the chance to see it at the cinema; but based on the numerous good reviews I preordered the blu-ray. I really enjoyed the film; but as with many other reviewers I felt that the book was better.
The book spent much more time establishing characters and relationships and I really liked that. Obviously, with the book being in first person, everything was from Katniss' perspective - but that only serves to makes you sympathize with her predicament and those around her more. Her relationships with Peeta and Rue go much deeper in the book and I felt the film foolishly downplayed these moments. Likewise, the other contestants in the games seemed vastly under utilised in the film; and as a result they either became unimportant or impotent. Cato was a fierce and imposing killer in the book - but reduced merely to a brooding bully in the film (albeit one with a sword).
Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the film and I'm glad I bought it, but I just wish it been a little better. However, I am sure when I watch it again - knowing everything that's changed or omitted - I will enjoy it much more. I felt the same way with Twilight - hated it on first viewing.
I look foward to Catching Fire and Mockingjay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a movie that follows the book!, 22 Jun 2012
Having read all the Hunger Games books I could not wait for this to come out in the cinema but part of me was worried that making such a complex book into a movie would not be possible (lets face it most books are miles better than the movies due to the simple fact they can go into a lot more detail)but I have to say I did not need to be worried in the slightest, I loved it that much I ended up going to see it twice!

The film is set in the future in an american nation called Panem which is split into districts. Each year the capitol of Panem forces each district to volunteer up a boy and a girl to compete in the annual "Hunger Games" as punishment for rising up against the capitol many years ago.
As the 74th Hunger Games is about to start Katniss Everdeen finds her 12 year old sister is chosen to compete, knowing she would never make it out alive Katniss offers herself in her sisters place and from then on is put into the arena with all the other tributes to fight for her life.
However there is one slight problem - Peeta Mellark, the boy who once saved her life is in the arena with her and how can she bring herself to kill him when she just might be falling in love with him.

This film does the book justice and it actually follows the majority of the book down to the very lines spoken.
The acting is amazing from everyone in the film, it is without a doubt Jennifer Lawrence's best movie yet!

I can't wait to own such an amazing movie, I'm sure it is going to be one I will watch again and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dvd, 26 Dec 2013
D. Middleton (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Great dvd if you enjoyed the Hunger Games books. We all as a family enjoyed the film. Looking forward to the next one coming out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Hunger Games [DVD] (DVD)
Loved the film and can't wait for the second one to be released on DVD. Totally different from anything else

5.0 out of 5 stars Much under rated film, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Hunger Games [DVD] (DVD)
When The Hunger Games came out in cinemas, I thought that it was very good. Our local cinema was not very full, which was a shame. Having read the books, and with the new film released, it was good to refresh memories by watching the first one again.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 26 Dec 2013
Ms. Sara Clark "Sara" (Folkestone Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games [DVD] (DVD)
It's a must, defo a good film, not what I expected at all. I'm not a film, tv lover, but I enjoyed sharing this one with my teenagers

5.0 out of 5 stars The best film ever !, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Hunger Games [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film 3 times already. As I watch more times I can see what I missed it before. I love idea of the film and I love Jennifer Lawrence. I would recommend to watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece! An excellent film about courage, hope and human dignity facing the all powerful totalitarian tyranny!, 22 Mar 2012
Maciej "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Hunger Games is certainly the best film I have seen since many many months, and it is a very successful adaptation of an excellent book.

In my personal opinion, both the book and the film are much deeper and much more ambitious, than what most critics and reviewers would make us believe. After reading the reviews in "New York Times", "Le Monde" and on "Msn.com" (to cite only few) I was surprised that they mostly missed everything that is important in this film. With a kind of amused superiority (like people from Capitol in the film), the "professional" reviewers pointed at the obvious allusions to gladiator fights, the reality shows, the importance of trashy entertainment in today's TV, the search for a new franchise able to replace "Twilight", etc., etc.

But they almost entirely failed to see that this film is first and above all about much more important things: how to keep hope, not lose the courage and preserve humanity and dignity under a totalitarian oppressive regime.

I believe that almost everybody now knows that when writing "Hunger Games" Susan Collins attempted basically a modern (even futurist) retelling of the old Greek myth of Theseus and Minotaur. According to this ancient tale, after losing a war, every year the city of Athens had to send a tribute of seven young men and seven maidens to the king of Crete. Once there those young people were locked in the Labyrinth, to be devoured by the monster Minotaur. This yearly punishment and humiliation lasted until Theseus, crown prince of Athens, volunteered to be one of the tributes - then, once locked in the Labyrinth, he defeated and killed the Minotaur.

In "Hunger Games" what was once United States (and I think also Canada) is now called the Panem. It is a country divided in twelve Districts remaining under the control of the Capitol central metropolis. There was once thirteen Districts, but when they rebelled against the central power, the Capitol destroyed completely the District 13 with all its population and then defeated and submitted again the twelve others. In order to remind to its subjects how absolute is its power, the Capitol claims a yearly tribute - one girl and one boy of ages from 12 to 18 from every District. The tributes are then send to an arena and forced to fight, until only one remains alive. This yearly event is called the Hunger Games and it is shown live on TV to all the population of Panem. This film tells the story of what happened at the 74th edition of Hunger Games...

For Capitol the purpose of Hunger Games is to remind yearly how powerful is the central metropolis and how dire can be the consequences of its wrath, but also - and even more importantly in my opinion - to humiliate and degrade the people of the Districts by forcing them to become accomplices (even if under duress) of a barbarian custom in which some of their own children are send to the slaughterhouse. And as all bullies and abusers know, it is much easier to oppress, abuse and brutalize victims who lack self-esteem...

Well, in this film we can see how one of the tributes from District 12, an exceptional young girl named Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), manages to turn the tables on the Capitol and by allowing people of Panem to regain some of their dignity she will be the pebble which starts the avalanche. The exact way in which she does that will not be revealed here, but both in the book as in the film it is described in a very intelligent and very moving way...

This may seem a rather improbable thing that a 16 years old child can do something that will ultimately bring down a seemingly invincible and all-powerful tyranny, but let's not forget that in the real world, the great wave of revolutions of Arab Spring began on 18 December 2010 with a desperate gesture of a dirt-poor 27-years old Tunisian street vendor, Mohamed Bouazizi, who set himself on fire after having been robbed and beaten by the corrupt local police one time too much... Less than two years after, the oppressive regimes in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya already collapsed, the seemingly eternal dictator of Yemen had to resign and the Syrian brutal regime is now facing a massive armed rebellion..

Bottom line, this film is first and before all a story about how even a seemingly powerless person can horribly hurt a tyrannic regime with a magic potion made of lots of courage, an ice-cold determination, a great personal dignity, a little compassion, a handful of flowers, a couple of tears and one defiant and powerful challenging gesture...

The powerful message and excellent scenario are not the only reasons why I consider "Hunger Games" as a masterpiece. Actors were selected very carefully and they perform very well. Jennifer Lawrence is simply perfect - there is no other word to describe her performance! However, after seeing her in "Winter's Bone" and "X-Men: First class" I didn't expect anything less.

But the real surprise in this film comes from Josh Hutcherson who plays Peeta Mellark, the boy tribute from District 12. His character is more difficult to play, because Peeta is in the same time more limited but also more complicated than Katniss. Josh Hutcherson could have very easily fall in one of the many traps which are build in Peeta's character. By overacting or underacting he could have make him a wimp or a passive follower or an immature kid, but he avoided those snares with grace and his Peeta comes out of this film as a surprisingly complex and also a very likeable character. He is certainly not a hero and a fighter like Katniss - but until the very end he preserves his honor, in a deadly place where he shouldn't ever be send...

A special mention goes to little Amandla Stenberg, who plays 12-years old Rue, the youngest of all the tributes. Her character is both secondary and in the same time incredibly important - and this little cute pixie played it perfectly!

Other, more known actors contribute to the success of this film. Woody Harrelson is excellent as Haymitch, the only person from District 12 who ever won in the Hunger Games and is now an advisor to Katniss and Peeta (and this is a high praise coming from me because I usually do not like this actor at all). Lenny Kravitz portrayed a perfect Cinna, the man in charge of image (clothes, haircut, make up, etc.) of tributes from District 12 in all public appearances before the games begin. And finally there is the giant figure of Donald Sutherland, who plays the supreme ruler of Panem, President Coriolanus Snow. He is purely incredible. There is a moment in this film when he says to somebody "I like you" - and I believe that I have never heard such a terrible and deadly threat in one short sentence since the famous Schwarzenegger's "I will be back" in "Terminator"...

I also absolutely adored the using of the cameras. In some moments of this film we have the impression of going after the characters with a camera, like a war correspondent following the fighters (this style was also very skillfully used in "The Shield" series). Of course not all the film is turned in this way, but mixing this kind of scenes with more conventional ones gives here an excellent effect.

The games themselves are very skillfully described and are a very dramatic tale, full of surprises and twists. I found them much much better than "Battle Royale", to which this book and film are often compared. The games are deadly and brutal, but there is only limited gore - I think this film is suitable for young teenagers, although not for children younger than 12. There is also absolutely no nudity, sex or strong language and I for one found it a most excellent thing.

There are still many more good things to say about this film, but I believe you should discover them by yourself. One more thing however about the book - it is of course possible to see and greatly enjoy this film without reading the book, but I believe that reading the novel first is a good idea. If reading the whole book is out of question, I would advise to read at least the first hundred pages. It will not reveal much about the games themselves, but it will allow for a better understanding of some of the key elements: the strength of the bond between Katniss and her younger sister, the history that Katniss shares with her hunting partner Gale, the complicated relation between Katniss and her mother and last but not least, the mysterious bond existing between Katniss and Peeta Mellark.

About this last point: if you did not yet read the book I do not want to spoil the pleasure of discovery so I will say just this - Katniss and Peeta lived for 16 years in the same village, but they never spoke one to another (except for an occasional "Hello") and they never touched one another in any way. And still, they share a secret as big as life and death, a secret which both bonded them together and in the same time separated them deeply... If you want to know the solution of this riddle you have either to watch very very carefully every scene of the film or simply read the book...

Conclusion: this film is a masterpiece! I loved it and I am going to buy the DVD as soon as it is available. And I am SOOO going to see the second part, as soon as it opens!

4.0 out of 5 stars Let them eat cake, 3 Sep 2012
Jules (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Based on the book The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, it gets the honor of being picked for a Hollywood movie of the same name. I've not read the book myself, so this is purely based on my opinion from watching the film.

Set sometime in the future, in the dystopian country, Panem, which was formerly America and the surrounding areas. Divided up into 12 districts, each one individually focused on a particular commodity, from miners to farmers, with the goods being shipped to the wealthy citizens in the capital city, where the rich, dressed in powdered wigs & gaudy outfits, gorge on cakes, sweets & luxuries, while the people of the districts starve.

As the story begins, it tells us of the annual ritual, the hunger games, put in place as a deterrent after the now destroyed 13th district rebelled. The games are made up of 2 children, tributes, from each district (24 total), one boy and one girl, between the ages of 12 and 18, picked by a lottery representative Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks) to compete in a televised fight to the death, 1 left standing, across a rural arena. This 74th games is hosted by the egocentric Caesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci-The Devil Wears Prada) & organised by the oddly bearded Seneca Crane (Wes Bentley-Four Feathers).

The story itself follows the two tributes from district 12, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence-Winter's Bone) who volunteers in place of her 12 year old sister, a courageous young hunter with a mind years beyond her own age , deadly with a bow & arrow. And Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson -Bridge to Terabithia), a nieve young baker with the strength of someone twice his age. But as the games unfold & new revelations appear, it seems the two star crossed lovers are faced with a heart aching decison, if they survive that is.

Overall, i have to say that i did really enjoy The Hunger Games, not just for the story, but for it being so different from films i've seen before, albeit with some influences from past films such as The Truman Show with the arena setting. The first hour of the film revolves around the setting of the story & the introduction of the characters & the build up to the games, with the remaining hour focused on the games itself. As the four preparation days dwindle down, you do feel the tension yourself, as your about to see these young adults, some of which looks like young babes, about to kill each other for the gratification of some rich slobs. Once they hit the arena & you see the fighting it is quite harrowing viewing, although filmed in reasonably good taste, in terms of not seeing anything too gory. But the action itself, is quite reserved, more a game of cat & mouse, as Katniss is singled out by a group banded together, to hunt her down as the strongest rated tribute during preparation with her trainer/mentor Haymitch Abernathy (Woody Harelson-Natural Born Killers).

The CGI & special effects were very well done, with some nice new ideas. The acting on the whole is very good, with a strong & believable performance from Jennifer Lawrence as the lead. While the support cast oozed with gravitas, from Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland, Josh Hutcherson, Wes Bentley, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harelson , Liam Hemsworth & stand out of the kids, Amandla Stenberg(Colombiana).

In conclusion, dont come into The Hunger Games thinking it's going to be all out action, as only a portion of the film is. It's an interesting look into a possible futuristic existance, but it's nice to know that the human spirit & courage is never dwindling despite the harshness of any given reality. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Hunger Games [DVD] (DVD)
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Even without the big screen we were glued to it throughout and can't wait for the enxt one to be released.

ARRAY(0xaaff9d5c)

The Hunger Games [DVD]
The Hunger Games [DVD] by Tom Stern (DVD - 2013)
5.00