VINE VOICEon 21 August 2014
I am using this DVD writer with Windows 8.1. Its comes with a disc with various software such as Power2Go and trial versions of Nero and various other software including a firmware updater. None of the software is essential and these days WIndows 8.1 has built in capabilities to burn discs so this DVD writer is effectively plugin and play and requires no setup.
Its a SATA DVD Writer so just needs a power cable to be connected from the PSU and a free SATA port and cable. Its comes with a sata cable and a black,silver and white bezel so you can make it match the colour of your base unit.
As far as performance goes it is quieter than the LG DVD writer its replacing and has been reasonably reliable at burning discs at 24 x ( I say reasonable because its has burnt a few "coasters"). I found burning ISO's to disc no problem using this DVD writer.
Its not expensive and so far appears to be good value for money.
on 6 August 2014
I got the drive installed it onto my Dell Precision 2006 desktop PC running Windows 7, which I have been upgrading overtime. Came with all necessary items, sata cable, screws manual and cd. The drive is pretty much a plug and play, install it, turn your computer on and there you have it! The disk that's included can give you some free trials and a version of Nero free edition, you will also get 2 extra bezels but I only needed black since the front of my PC is black. It burns disks very fast without noise, it will come out very good quality with no errors on the disk. I really like it and its a great component to have on my PC as my old CD ROM couldn't burn to disks and it ran on IDE, it was quite old.

So overall it's a very good drive, good price and I recommend it to other if you are looking for a new drive for your computer.
on 28 December 2013
Great vale, easy to install and runs quiet... Would recommend this product to all... I have built a few systems now, always use these and never had any problems
on 8 May 2014
After putting up with a faulty DVD drive that came in a new PC for 3 years, I finally decided it was time to bite the bullet and splash out on a new one. I was very pleased when i saw this Samsung drive show in the display results for the low price of under £15! Once this drive arrived, I said an emotional goodbye to my old drive (at which point i was surprised to find out it was a Sony), installed this one and fired it up to see how it performed.

It reads, writes and does everything you'd want a DVD drive to do. Best of all, it does everything silently. There's no noise at all on mine and I can't even hear it over the fan of the PC. I keep a couple of "problem" DVD's that are slightly scratched and don't play in all DVD players and they both played fine in this one. I wrote a 7GB DVD+DL in 18 minutes using Windows 7's built in software and it's all going great.

I think this is the best value DVD drive on the market. Yes there are even cheaper ones but they don't come with a SATA cable, screws and an extra silver and ivory bezel as this one does. They're great for if you want to carry around a reminder of what your DVD drive looks like when you're away from home.

If you need a new DVD drive then there are plenty to choose from and no doubt they all do as good a job as this but this was the one i chose and I'm very pleased that i did.
on 11 December 2013
Bought this DVD rewriter/drive for my home build as realised I needed a SATA drive as the old IDE one would not fit my new motherboard. Well I must say Im most impressd with the drive, quiet and works great. Not tried writing to it yet but should be fine. For just over £13 I dont know how they do it at Samsung, with 3 interchangable fronts to suit black, white or silver PC even loading flaps coloured to suit. Also sata cable, screws and disc with drivers included a great bargin, if I could give 10 stars I would.
on 7 January 2015
First and foremost, what you get is what you pay for. It's a fairly cheap, but well-built DVD-RW drive.

The content of the box;
DVD-RW Drive
SATA cable
Case screws
Silver faceplate (black one is attached)
Instruction manuals
Warranty leaflets

The setup is simple, mostly a matter of plug and play (assuming you know how to install a SATA device). It's well-packaged with a lot of the information on read and write speeds, and whether it writes Dual Layered discs etc is all included on the side of the box. I opened it up and was pleasantly surprised by the fact they include a secondary silver face plate - just in case you don't like the standard black one already installed on the drive itself, as well as a bag of case screws (that I set aside as my PC case has a sliding lock mechanism instead of screw holes) and the drive itself along with a 'quick installation' manual and a full (much) more lengthy installation manual.

After installing, the drive worked fine, no issues whatsoever. Essentially, it does what it says on the tin. Highly recommended product, especially for the quality-to-price.
on 25 September 2014
I purchased this DVD writer on the back of Amazon good feedback which stated that it is quiet. So I was a little disappointed when the drive I received turned out to be very noisy when running at speed. I returned for a replacement and I am pleased to say the new one is much quieter and so far is working fine. Thanks Amazon for replacing quickly.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2014
I bought this to install in my new desktop, and I've got to say I'm delighted with it. Very easy to fit and started working straightaway. It came with an installation CD although because it was fully functioning from the moment I turned my PC on I haven't used any of the software on it! So far I have used it for playing audio CDs and for burning DVD-Roms, both of which it does well.

I chose this particular model, because it came with a spare SATA power lead (not needed, as it turned out), and a choice of facia (black or white) so it will fit aesthetically with the rest of your PC.
on 20 December 2014
I still cannot believe that you can buy a retail DVD Writer for so little cash! These drives perform so well that I ordered two more... and now they're only £11.88!!....BARGAIN! Yes, I know optical drives are 'old hat' now, but if you need them these are the best value option anywhere. Performance is almost silent & fast. Please remember that for near silent use your media (discs) will need to be perfect & the drive must be fitted in a sturdy case with all cables & other hardware tied or bolted down properly.
on 31 January 2014
Absolute magic. I had a computer DVD drive not working so bought a new PC in a panic. Then I looked at the problem on the old one, and found that I could buy a DVD drive and insert it INSIDE the computer. I did and it worked and is brilliant. The only hiccup was first of all I installed the new SATA lead and it didn't recognise it. When I put in the old lead it did. However it may not have been this, because at the same time as changing the lead, I of course turned it all off, so I think it was turning it off and rebooting which made the drive recognisable, oh and I also downloaded the Samsung Software which detected it. All OK. I am delighted that me as a not-strong OAP woman have mended my computer for £17 odd. I didn't need to buy the new one, but never mind , it's all experience. Tip - I found a little torch and wearing my glasses made the leads easier to insert. If you are not confident like me, pay the extra for the "Retail" one as it has all the bits, plus these gorgeous two spare bezel covers! Magnificent product. Thank you so much.