5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value
Published 11 months ago by Yorkwolds

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 6 months then started making ticking noise and stopped working.
Had this DVD drive for just over 6 months now, had no problems for most of the time until a few days ago when it started making a ticking noise and stopped working. It's now unusable. Seeing as I only used it a handful of times over the past 6 months, I'm pretty disappointed.

Worth keeping in mind if you are thinking about picking this up. As I said, worked...
Published 2 months ago by Ben Trevelyan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
Bought this DVD rewriter/drive for my home build as realised I needed a SATA drive as the old IDE one would not fit my new motherboard. Well I must say Im most impressd with the drive, quiet and works great. Not tried writing to it yet but should be fine. For just over £13 I dont know how they do it at Samsung, with 3 interchangable fronts to suit black, white or silver PC even loading flaps coloured to suit. Also sata cable, screws and disc with drivers included a great bargin, if I could give 10 stars I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal DVD, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
Great vale, easy to install and runs quiet... Would recommend this product to all... I have built a few systems now, always use these and never had any problems

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for my old drive, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
This DVD drive is not the first one I have had installed in my tower. My previous drive was the previous version of this model but it had recently become faulty; refusing to play many DVDs, some of which were fresh from the boxes, so I knew it wasn't an issue with the discs themselves.

This replacement arrived today and the installation was easy enough. It comes with a SATA cable to connect to your motherboard in case you don't already own one (for example, if you're building a tower and considering this as your drive), but it doesn't have a power cable. Luckily for me, I simply used my existing cable.

Anyway, installation was simple - my computer automatically found and installed the drivers without having to use the included installation disc, and it immediately played all of the DVDs that my old drive could not. It is also extremely quiet as advertised.

I haven't tried burning anything as of yet and I've only been using this drive for about 10 hours at the time of this review, so if anything should occur to tarnish my opinion of the drive, I'll return and alter this review but for now I am extremely satisfied with the product, and would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars and more buy this Drive Good Price £12.21 from Amazom, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
Very good Drive it works straight out of the box and also comes with trail software and four screws and Sata cable and two extra face plates once install Windows 7 64 bit install the drivers. I haven't tried to play any DVD movies yet but I think it should be ok. I have done some burning with this drive using Aone plus+ dual layer disc 8.5GB and it works fine looking for up to date drives it comes under http://www.samsung.com/fr/consumer/it/optical-disk/internal-dvd-writer/SH-224DB/RSMS?subsubtype=dvd-drive if you are English you will have to translate using Google has the language it's in French or you can use this website http://www.tsstodd.com/eng/ for drivers and Firmware up dates I haven't done any up dates as it's working fine if I do the up dates it might cause problems as it's not broken just leave it alone. I also did a write review of this Drive which is now going back Lite-On IHAS124-04 - LiteOn IHAS124-04 - 24x SATA DVDRW HH Internal Drive - Black have a read not Good for burning Dual Layer discs..

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 21 Aug 2014
Magos - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
I am using this DVD writer with Windows 8.1. Its comes with a disc with various software such as Power2Go and trial versions of Nero and various other software including a firmware updater. None of the software is essential and these days WIndows 8.1 has built in capabilities to burn discs so this DVD writer is effectively plugin and play and requires no setup.
Its a SATA DVD Writer so just needs a power cable to be connected from the PSU and a free SATA port and cable. Its comes with a sata cable and a black,silver and white bezel so you can make it match the colour of your base unit.
As far as performance goes it is quieter than the LG DVD writer its replacing and has been reasonably reliable at burning discs at 24 x ( I say reasonable because its has burnt a few "coasters"). I found burning ISO's to disc no problem using this DVD writer.
Its not expensive and so far appears to be good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, quiet, looks good, easy to install., 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
I got the drive installed it onto my Dell Precision 2006 desktop PC running Windows 7, which I have been upgrading overtime. Came with all necessary items, sata cable, screws manual and cd. The drive is pretty much a plug and play, install it, turn your computer on and there you have it! The disk that's included can give you some free trials and a version of Nero free edition, you will also get 2 extra bezels but I only needed black since the front of my PC is black. It burns disks very fast without noise, it will come out very good quality with no errors on the disk. I really like it and its a great component to have on my PC as my old CD ROM couldn't burn to disks and it ran on IDE, it was quite old.

So overall it's a very good drive, good price and I recommend it to other if you are looking for a new drive for your computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement is much quieter., 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
I purchased this DVD writer on the back of Amazon good feedback which stated that it is quiet. So I was a little disappointed when the drive I received turned out to be very noisy when running at speed. I returned for a replacement and I am pleased to say the new one is much quieter and so far is working fine. Thanks Amazon for replacing quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
Received the item well before estimated date.
Well packaged and all extras included.
Worked straight out of the box.
Very quiet.
Have not burned DVDs yet but will update if things don't work as expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read Me Write, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
Bought as replacements for an old Samsung - this version has boosted W/R speeds which will be useful. Comes with three front panels, Henry Ford's favourite colour fitted with a beige and a silver optional. The SATA cable is a bit short (17") for my case but I have longer spares. Note if you have an older power supply with Molex sockets you will need a Molex/SATA adapter. (Yep, I have spares!)
Have only used the drive a few times, W7 auto loaded working drivers but going to Samsung site for upgrades was a waste of time. The layout and broken English is pathetic, all attempts to download firmware went nowhere, including referred sites for other software trials. The supplied disc seems superfluous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 29 Oct 2014
Alex Sumner "AS" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (Accessory)
I bought this to install in my new desktop, and I've got to say I'm delighted with it. Very easy to fit and started working straightaway. It came with an installation CD although because it was fully functioning from the moment I turned my PC on I haven't used any of the software on it! So far I have used it for playing audio CDs and for burning DVD-Roms, both of which it does well.

I chose this particular model, because it came with a spare SATA power lead (not needed, as it turned out), and a choice of facia (black or white) so it will fit aesthetically with the rest of your PC.

Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer