VINE VOICEon 8 June 2013
I was very impressed with the first volume of IDW's Doctor Who 'Prisoners Of Time'. This volume collects the first 4 issues of the celebratory run from IDW and features the first four incarnations of Doctor Who, each in separate stories with a neat twist which links them together. Classic Doctor Who fans won't be disappointed as old friends and foes join the Doctor in adventures beautifully told by Scott and David Tipton. The artwork is exceptional, especially the capture of mannerisms reminiscent of each incarnation and this is down to artists Simon Fraser, Lee Sullivan, Mike Collins and Gary Erskine. The graphic novel also includes a cover artwork gallery and photo gallery of each Doctor.
I am not going to spoil the fun by doing a synopsis of each story because it is enough to say that I've read this volume three times already and can't wait for volume 2 to ship. A must for all Doctor Who fans!
on 27 June 2013
This is the first volume of IDW's fiftieth anniversary epic - Prisoners Of Time, and comprises issues 1 - 4. Each issue revolves around a separate incarnation of the time lord and companions relevant to his era (issue 1 is the first Doctor, issue 2 the second and so forth..)

Each issue follows the same structure in that it consists of a 'standalone' story involving that version of the Doctor but the final scene of each issue connects the overall story arc. NO SPOILERS although this runs the risk of becoming tired if the looming threat linking the issues doesn't develop soon.

The artwork is pretty top notch for each Doctor and is a strength of this story. The four issues in this volume are all entertaining tales - my personal favourite involves the third Doctor.

I've already read several issues ahead online and will definitely be acquiring Volume 2 when it's released later this year.

For fans of the Doc I would thoroughly recommend this volume.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 2 September 2013
I always enjoy a good graphic novel, but don't all that often have the chance to just kick back and relax with one. I looked out for this one especially, and am eagerly awaiting the next volume in this story. This volume 1 covers an overarching adventure featuring, so far the First, Second, Third and Fourth Doctors. But someone else is watching their adventures and intervening. They clearly have a cunning plan; but what could it be, and why?

This is great stuff; great individual stories within a great overarching story that is slowly building and keeps the reader intrigued by what may happen next. The artwork of each of the stories is great; the Doctor(s) and his various companions - Ian, Barbara, Vicki, Jamie, Zoe, Liz, Sarah Jane, the Brigadier, Leela and K9 - are all wonderfully captured and the dialogue and actions are all spot-on. Fantastic; can't wait for the next instalment!
44 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2013
I've always enjoyed Doctor Who but never really thought much of the comics, as i found the artwork average and the production looked cheap (except of course the Dave Gibbons Tom Baker era).
I'd have to say though that I found Prisoners of Time a fitting tribute to the fifty years of Doctor Who. I loved the way the story involves each regeneration and the mystery to who is behind it all. I downloaded this as a trial run for my new kindle and have been very pleasantly surprised. Now that I have also read volume two I am looking forward to the final edition.
on 7 July 2013
Although strangely it's the likeness of the Fourt Doctor that causes most problems for the artist.
Still this is clearly building to something big. There are clues as to who the bad guy might be although they are probably just misdirection at this stage.
on 13 October 2014
Bought as present for a Teenager...read it 1st and was blown away by the indivdual Dr stories with the underlying overal story throughout.
on 29 July 2013
I had never bought a graphic novel as a download before so this one was an offer and I thought I would give it a go. The problem is I downloaded it to my Samsung S2 phone and even with making the panels bigger and wearing the glasses, its still too small. It doesnt download to my laptop so I'll wait and buy the complete graphic novel some day.
on 14 August 2013
I have ordered the others but its only the first part of the story.
Fats delivery and good quality product!