on 17 March 2014
This is the first time I have bought a poetry book for the kindle as I wasn't sure I would be able to dip into it to read various parts easily. However, it is very easy to go to the contents menu if you want to choose individual poems or select different poets.
I am very happy with this book. It has a very good selection of popular poems, and I would recommend it to any poetry lover. Great for browsing through in waiting rooms!
on 30 December 2015
Several issues mentioned by another reviewer seem to have been corrected. The last line of Marvell is present in my copy and the two examples given from the Burn's poem have been altered, though the rest is still in English 'translation'.

I can also locate poets, and sometimes individual poems, by using the 'Go to' feature on the Kindle, so am able to dip in and out of the book.

Overall the book is a good selection of old favourites with a smattering of authors I have not read before ( though this may be a comment on the quality of my education rather than the quality of the selection). However, I would like to see a more even spread - some poets are given a lot more room than others. This is good if your favourites are the ones given extra coverage, but this wasn't the case for me. As an example - Edward Thomas wrote more than 'Adelstrop' and a little Herrick goes a long way.

In summary - a good, if uneven, selection from a variety of favourites with a few less usual pieces thrown in.

Happy to have it as a cheap book on Kindle but if I was being asked for more money I would probably buy something that fitted my taste more closely.
on 5 January 2014
So many poems in this selection were worth the 0.99 on their own. I found many poems that I only half knew so it was fun discovering them again. I thought the choice of cover was inspired.
on 24 April 2016
This is a good selection of well known poems. Any compilation is bound to omit someone's favourites but there are plenty of poems here to bring pleasure to most readers. My only criticism here is that there is a dearth of more modern poetry.
on 21 May 2014
This is the sort of book you come back to time and time again, not all of the poems are my favourite ones but I have found ones that I have never come across before. If you like poetry this is a book for you.
on 6 March 2014
This book provoked thought, encouraged smiles and tears, and drew out memories long buried.... A joy to sit with on a lazy afternoon and come across poems that were like old friends, stirring emotions with a gentle hand.
on 10 March 2014
I haven't yet found a way to scroll down to a poem I wish to read. Poetry books are not novels. You dip in and out of poems and the only way I have found to get through this book is by clicking on each page individually. Not ideal.
on 11 May 2014
An interesting anthology containing most of the usual suspects plus a few lesser known gems. Good to dip into when one has s few spare minutes to while away. It would be nice to have an easy way to locate particular favourites.
on 14 October 2014
I love poetry and I love to see it written with the original language of the time. It infuriates me to see the words changed to a modern idiom. There is a reason why the original words were chosen and changing the words just completely destroys the "music" of the poetry. As example in the poem "A red,red rose"
It's not "my lovely lass" it's "my bonie lass"
How much more beautiful to hear the words "Till a' the seas gang dry" instead of "Till all the seas go dry"
Many more examples I could quote.
Shame on you authors for not preserving the original words of the poetry. Shame on you for destroying the music and the dance of the words. You should know better.
Miles Macdonald
on 9 November 2013
A very handy reference selection of poems to suit most tastes, a joy to browse during those few odd moments of " What shall I do while I wait for him/her ?"