5.0 out of 5 stars My second Kipling - happy again!
I was very impressed with the practicality of my first Kipling bag Defea, I wanted to buy myself another Kipling. And this time, I wanted something
1) a tad smaller as I found Defea a little bit too big for nipping-outs
2) across body with no handles flapping around and
3) lots of compartments.

Reth seemed to tick all the boxes so I ordered it in...
Published 13 months ago by Tama

3.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect sizing
I have a number of Kipling bags and I already own the Reth I wanted a lighter colour for the summer so ordered Reth in Peppery
Published on 13 Oct. 2011 by Gerry

5.0 out of 5 stars My second Kipling - happy again!, 9 Feb. 2014
1) a tad smaller as I found Defea a little bit too big for nipping-outs
2) across body with no handles flapping around and
3) lots of compartments.

Reth seemed to tick all the boxes so I ordered it in Port Red as it was offered at a good price (less than 30!).
Since receiving the item, I have used it every day - so happy I got this bag.

About the colour - Port Red in reality is deep dull-ish burgundy. Not exactly the same colour as the Amazon image on my screen which looks kind of whitewashed (but then, I understand that it could be a system/display thing, so no complaints there).
It goes nicely with black or brown, or, with jeans - great :) !

About the bag itself - 2 main compartments, a big front pocket and the usual back pocket.
To give you an idea of size, in the main compartment (which also has zip pocket and a key fob) I can fit in a big purse, personal organizer, ipod touch, small hairbrush and a digital camera plus a bunch of keys on the fob and a couple of lipsticks in the pocket.
In the sub main, a small notebook, small towel, hair clip and hand gel. In the front pocket where there's a slip-in mobile pocket and one pen holder, I can fit a mobile and 2 pairs of glasses.

As the bag itself is light-weight and because you can wear it across your body, carrying all this doesn't weigh you down like other bags do!

Just one thing to mention, though. Like some other reviewers said, the material of the bag did feel a bit on the rough/ coarse side compared with my Defea... and that did initially worry me as I was told that there are a lot of Kipling copies around.
However, I can see on Kipling's official website that they have made some changes to the inside material (it used to be plain like it is with my Defea, but now it's dotted like the Reth I received), so maybe they did something with the outside material as well?
Or, it could simply be the case of initial stiffness, and soften up with use. I suppose it's not fair to compare the softness of a heavily-used-for-a-year bag to that of a brand new one.

Anyway, I AM happy with my purchase and would recommend Reth to anyone looking for a casual and practical medium-sized bag!

3.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect sizing, 13 Oct. 2011
When it arrived I was dismayed to find it was a smaller version of the Reth advertised.It only had one top zipped compartment despite the description saying it had two The label said Reth S.The description did not mention a choice of sizes so sadly it had to go back.It has made me wary of ordering another colour in case I have the same problem
Amazon need to ensure that they are clear on what you are purchasing in this case the description clearly did not mathch the goodsKipling Women's Reth Shoulder Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice sized bag, 13 April 2011
Kipling Women's Reth Shoulder BagThis is my third Kipling bag. I have the Fundi waistbag and the Defea which I absolutely love. When I saw the Reth for only £22 on Amazon I couldn't believe my eyes. It would have been a crime for any Kipling fan not to buy it at this price!Ordered late evening 11th April, arrived on my doorstep 13th April.Fantastic service from Amazon's free Super Saver delivery (well done Amazon). This bag has been described as large and bulky on some reviews I have read on other sites. But when it arrived it wasn't as bulky as I had feared. It is a happy medium sized bag that holds alot. As well as the usual paraphernalia we ladies carry, you can fit a litre bottle of water (or a bottle of wine!) in the Reth no problem and still have bags of space. One thing to note is that the zipped openings to the two main compartments do not open very wide. This can make inserting bulky or rectangular items such as a big thick paperback difficult.Apart from that it's a great everyday bag. TIP- when searching for a Kipling bag on Amazon also filter your search by price range too, as very often the same model bag has many different prices.Also the prices often change frequently so it's worth checking every day. Now and again an absolute bargain crops up.Though I must admit it's getting rarer now!

I also have a 'Lacquered Bronze' Reth. It is stunning and looks far more posher and expensive than a normal Reth. It also has a thicker feel than the usual nylon. Feels ever so slightly like rubber, rain runs off like a duck's back.The lining is a black and brown print, not the usual pale grey and the furry monkey has a shiny face with no painted eyes. Poor thing!Apart from that it has all the regular feature of a Reth.

I hope this review helps fellow Kipling bag fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant bag, 30 Dec. 2013
I've never had a Kipling bag before but this was the only one I could find that met my needs. Cross body lightweight and with enough pockets. Decided to try it as price was so good on Amazon. I am delighted it doesn't weigh me down or pull on my neck and it holds everything I need. I especially like the pocket that keeps my keys etc close to my body so I can find them quickly. Delivery was quick also so I was able to use if over the holiday period when it proved invaluable. Still don't like the monkeys though. all in all I am a Kipling convert and would now like a wallet as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars kipling - make exceedingly good bags, 8 Mar. 2011
Jenny (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is my first, but not my last, Kipling bag purchase. It's well made, strong and very lightweight. There is a surprising amount of room inside and has good depth to the base, making it easy to put down without it falling over. The shoulder strap is a good width and doesn't cut into your flesh. It stays 'put' on the body whilst walking, where some inferior shoulder bags move round the body as you walk. I would certainly recommend this bag, as it is so versatile and has a wipe clean fabric, which can also be washed in the machine at 30 degrees, although this is not stated by Kipling themselves. You can't go wrong with this practical style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag - good price, 1 Jan. 2014
Thought it would be a bit larger - but it is actually a good size - nice long strap to wear across the body, with lots of compartments and secure zips.

5.0 out of 5 stars great medium sized bag, 6 Sept. 2013
the colour goes with everything and is a nice alternative to black, it holds a lot more that it looks capable of. Very sturdy and well made with lots of compartments and pockets. I can fit lunch and a drink in this small lloking bag along with all the usual stuff: purse diary etc, its just about the right lenght for me when I wear it accross body and I'm 5'9. Worth the money and will be using it for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceedingly good bag!, 18 Nov. 2014
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I buy a bag for my partner every Christmas and after much looking around I thought I'd give this one a go for the lovely other dinosaur (less wrinkly than a T Rex but with a similar roar!)

I've never bought her a Kipling bag before and I think she'll love this one!

I bought the Brick Red colour and think it looks really nice and autumnal, bringing some warmth into winter.

The bag is extremely well made from nylon with very good stitching and steel D rings holding a nice strong shoulder strap on to the bag. The adjustable shoulder strap is approx 24 inches long so the bag will hang about 12 inches off the shoulder. All the zips are spot on with a smooth 'Zzzzipp!' action with Kipling branded zip pulls on them. Really nice touch.

The bag measures approx 13 x 7 x 5 inches so is a nice comfortable size for the girl about town. No need to be careful walking through the bone china section of John Lewis incase your flailing bag is smashing everything in it's wake! :)

Storage wise - this is a well thought out design indeed. Pocket wise you will find. . .

- 1 x main compartment
- 1 x large compartment with an inner zipped pocket for loose change, receipts, coffee loyalty cards etc. . .
- 1 x smaller zipped side pocket
- 1 x larger zipped side compartment which contains 2 x large pockets for mobile, sunglasses and 2 x thinner pockets for pens and such.

So plenty of room for organising your stuff in here!

I really like this bag and think it will last for years due to it's great build quality. Love the brick red colour and practicality of it. I'm sure the thoroughly modern lovely other dinosaur (can you have a modern dinosaur?) will love it too! Cue - Roars of delight :)

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Feb. 2014
Good size without being too big. Can get all the everyday necessities in plus Kindle without it bulging.
A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kipling bag, 30 Aug. 2013
Excactly what I was looking for small in size but holds everything you need to carry. Would recommend for those that need a small bag with plenty of storage