5.0 out of 5 stars Soaring highs within a more contemplative album
Tape Deck Heart is a more introspective album than much of Frank's previous work. If you're looking for jaunty singalongs or call to arms like Try This At Home, Photosynthesis or even I Still Believe, then there isn't quite as much of that here.

Published 20 months ago by KW

3.0 out of 5 stars Why am I exhausted after listening to this?
Frank is one of my favorite song writers so expectation were high. Unfortunately this album just doesn't deliver what I was looking for. There are a few real gems but the album as a whole seems depressing and strained. I just got back from a 4-day road trip during which I listened to this album along with the 4 previous ones repeatedly. While all the albums are...
Published 19 months ago by RP

5.0 out of 5 stars Soaring highs within a more contemplative album, 22 April 2013
KW (Lancashire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart (Audio CD)

That's not to say these are 18 tracks that will leave you eyeing your shoelaces as if you've been stuck in a room with Radiohead on repeat.

It starts with a thunderous chorus that is Recovery. That gives you the jumping, pumping, pushing, shoving, standing-on-everyone-else's-toes singalong that people go to gigs for. Even with that, though, there's a serious undercurrent, especially with lyrics such as: "Well darling now I'm sinking, I'm as lost as lost can be and I was hoping you could drag me up from down here towards my recovery" - even if it is a line likely to be shouted at the tops of peoples' voices at shows.

Losing Days has some superb, upbeat mandolin playing from Matt Nasir, which leads into the best track on the album. The Way I Tend To Be isn't just beautifully performed with a hauntingly superb chorus, it has genuine heart to it. There's a statuesque symmetry to the poetry of the final verse.
"Because I said I love you so many times that the words kinda die in my mouth //
And I meant it each time with each beautiful woman but somehow it never works out //
You stood apart in my calloused heart and you taught me and here's what I learned //
That love is about the changes you make and not just three small words"

It's from there that the tone for the rest of the songwriting continues.

Plain Sailing Weather builds from its spoken start to six minutes of almost unexpected self-vilification, with Good And Gone hinting at the darker sides of being a rock star.

The mood reaches its nadir with Tell Tale Signs, from which the album gets its title with the final lyric: "You will always be a part of my patched-up patchwork taped-up tape-deck heart".

The album moves onto the absolute delight that is Four Simple Words. A favourite at gigs for a year or so, most fans will be familiar with the slow start and tub-thumping "hi ho hi ho" pay-off that storms into an almighty singalong.

Polaroid Picture is an apt title for a song decrying the loss of things gone by, while The Fisher King Blues is almost an examination of songwriting itself.

Of the later tracks, it is perhaps Tattoos that sticks with me the most, with the lyrics about "straight-edge" and "buddy tattoos with people who aren't my friends" almost a marker put down to signal that this is the album to show how far he has come.

For me, that's the key thing: this isn't the same type of work that England Keep My Bones [Explicit] is, which isn't to say it's worse either. It's just different - but tracks like Recovery and Four Simple Words will keep fans jumping around for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A raw, brutal, beautiful creation., 26 April 2013
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart (Audio CD)
Frank Turner is quite simply the best British singer songwriter of his generation. Tape Deck Heart builds on his previous releases and lifts him to another level. Frank has described this as a 'break up album' and at times it's so raw as to be almost brutal. Fortunately, this man knows how to create a melody as good as anyone around and these songs will stick in your head and hearts a long time after the music stops. My current favourites (they change daily) are Anymore, Tell Tale Signs and Oh Brother. Yesterday it was Polaroid Picture and Broken Piano. There are very few 'perfect' albums, this is as close as is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and brutal, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart (Audio CD)
Tape Deck Heart is different to Frank's previous albums, but in a good way. The influences of Rich Costley (Producer) are clear, never have Frank & The Sleeping Souls sounded so good. You can tell they spent 30 days paying attention to every minute detail. The production on Broken Piano is incredible.

Four Simple Words is arguably Franks greatest song in terms of live show fun. The album version is no let down, from the quiet opening to crashing drums and guitar solos, it is one of the catchiest songs he has ever written.

What this album has is strength in depth. It is crammed from start to finish with brilliant songs - some fun, some brutally honest - and only really takes a breather for the quieter solo song Anymore. This quality continues in the bonus deluxe tracks (which are definitely worth paying the extra for) Cowboy Chords is stunning, and Time Machine see's Frank disappear off into a more Weezer-esque direction, but he comes out the other side with one of the funnest lyrics ever: "I'm a gonna build myself a time machine, on particle physics and the power of steam"

This lyric perfectly en-captures what is by far the best thing about this album - the meaning and (sometimes) fun Frank has put into the lyrics. Go and listen to The Way I Tend To Be, Four Simple Words and Broken Piano and you will see the brilliance of Tape Deck Heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, soulful stuff, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I am a diehard Frank Turner fan. I think the man is a pure poetic genius who sings and plays his heart out.

This album isn't always comfortable to listen to because it's all about a breakup. He makes some harsh observations and digs deep. There are a couple of sing-song songs, but mostly melancholic ballads.

It's more experimental than his previous records. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

All hail Frank, the king of broken hearts.

5.0 out of 5 stars It grew on me..., 24 April 2013
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
At first I wasn't sure about the album, it seemed to be full of similar songs and a lot slower than other albums. but as the album went on I could hear the angry Frank I know and love coming through more. And the more times I listen to the album, the more a start to think that it might actually be my favourite album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album for the summer!, 24 April 2013
S Finnerty "Steve" (Hedge End, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Downloading this album corresponded with the sun coming out for the first time in ages and both helped to cheer me up. I first came across Frank supporting Greenday in London despite him coming from up the road in Winchester and he did a great set in a wide open Wembley Stadium, engaging the crowd and mixing up slower sing-alongs with more up-tempo numbers. This album reflects that with thoughtful lyrics, catchy melodies and rousing choruses. The thing I like about Frank is there is always a sense of optimism and humour running through his albums so his darker songs are balanced but also have more impact. Note there is both a 12 track and 18 track version of the album so check you are ordering the correct one. I am missing the last 6 and will have to download them individually when I've finished playing through the ones I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic album, fantastic delivery!, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart (Audio CD)
another fantastic album by the wonderful frank turner.
The perfect mix of soulful ballads, gut wrenching love songs and upbeat summer tunes!
A great driving album, this man can do no wrong!!
Just plain sailing weather!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetic genius, 15 Aug 2014
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart (Audio CD)
I first heard the voice of Frank Turner via 'Recovery' on a compilation album. I liked the song, and decided to take a listen to the mother album 'Tape Deck Heart', and was very impressed.

A lot of the songs here deal with relationship breakups, but there are more than enough uplifting tunes that are almost guaranteed to get you into the mood of Summer. The quality of Frank's song writing, the excellent production which captures a genuine 'live' feel to the drums and backing, not to mention the emotion he pours into these great tracks is impressive. It's hard for me to single out a 'favourite' track here, but 'The Way I Tend To Be', 'Polaroid Picture', and 'Plain Sailing Weather' are currently on heavy rotation in my ITunes playlist.

I recommend 'Tape Deck Heart' to anyone who appreciates the work of a real musician, and will be on the look out for more of Frank's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars I need someone who sings from his heart and means it., 22 April 2013
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart (Audio CD)
Britains best songwriter returns. They don't make 'em like the used to. Unless you're Frank Turner. An album every two years. 1,400 live shows in 7 years and counting. And, unlike many artists, who use their good ideas up in the first five years - and after which, fade into embarrassing irrelevancy and tired xeroxes of greater moments - Frank Turner, the guitar-slinging, jetset, crime-fighting heartbreaker and troubador, offers us his fifth solo album in seven years with "Tape Deck Heart". Once again, a man and his guitar, and his muse, give us a slab of great songs.

Songs that I would not have imagined. Songs that I cannot live without. Songs like "Tell Tale Signs". Turner is growing old, and so are we, and songs like this are the ones that show us that inside everyone is a story, and some of the stories are ones we all share. How it feels to be there, how we have all been there - the names of the actors may have changed, but we are all here, and the song remains the same. I need someone who sings from his heart and means it. Names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty.

And here we are. Melodies that anyone can remember. Music made with integrity, ideals, about real things, about the world we live in, about getting drunk, waking up with regrets, about a million things and everything. And every song has some words so utterly astute in seeing the world that they will inevitably be tattooed on someone's body somewhere. And rightly so.

Anyone who can write a song about the closing of the London Astoria and make it sound like a hymn fighting against the inexorable progress of capitalism wins in my book. "Polaroid Picture" is such a song, and it captures for me, the same sense of futile regret that came when they closed the best venue in London. "Tape Deck Heart" is just like other Frank Turner albums ; a selection of rousing, smart songs with huge choruses and a heart the size of a country designed to make lives better, because sometimes, we have no choice but to write songs and be the change we want to see in the world. "Nobody makes it out alive", he sings. Never a truer word sung.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, but no longer a Wessex Boy, 29 April 2013
A. C. Scott (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I like Frank Turner. England Keep My Bones is one of my favourite albums of recent years. As well as they great tunes, it had a certain 'Englishness' and a theme celebrating life, love and death. Obviously todays Frank Turner is different to the one of 2011, as he has achieved worldwide success (hence the constant reference to hotel rooms!). He seems to have gone from a Wessex Boy to a London Boy (London features a lot lyrically). He's not the upcoming artist of 'Prufrock', so it's hard to see what album he could have made. Many songs are great and instantly hummable and there are some already live favourites in there. It's probably my third favourite Frank Turner album behind England Keep My Bones and Love, Ire and Song.

Tape Deck Heart [Explicit]