5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!
Being fortunate enough to win an early copy of this book I was very excited to dive in. I wasn't disappointed.

Published 14 months ago by Laura Harmon

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a disappointment.
Published 13 months ago by Suzie Q

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, 13 July 2013
Laura Harmon (Hamilton Scotland) - See all my reviews

I love the lead character in this series, Jessica Daniel. Shes the kind of character that makes you want to root for her, even though she has her flaws. I have always loved the relationship between her & Dave Rowland and was glad they spent a lot of time together in this story.

The story itself is intriguing and makes u want to read on to the wee hours of the morning. The various thread plots are at times funny, tragic & frightening, with the addition of a few new characters that I hope will appear in more books. Also, the description of the fear & terror caused by a house fire is well written and horrifying!

Roll on the next chapter in Jessica's story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good 'un, 11 July 2013
I can't quite remember how I came across the first Jessica Daniel story 'Locked In' but I recall wondering if this was going to be like some other self-published books I have tried, formulaic, stiffly written and lacking in oomph. How wrong I was. The book was GOOD! I was in line as soon as the following novel 'Vigilante' was released. GOOD again, and the same is true of the following two and now of 'Playing with Fire'.
Let me just break here to tell you that I won an advanced copy of this book by taking part in one of Kerry's little online fun competitions. I was a runner-up and utterly delighted to receive a signed copy. Result! Let me also say that I would have written this piece just the same if I had shelled out the usual price.
Each of the Jessica Daniel stories has a believable plot with twists and turns that make sense. As main character, Jessica, would be a delight, if challenging, to meet in real life. Her relationships with her colleagues, aquaintances, lovers, villains and all are cleverly detailed. What is enjoyable is that Jessica grows as a maturing person as the books progress. If you want satisfying, complex reads, I can't recommend them too strongly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Playing with Fire (Season One: Book 5): Jessica Daniel Book 5 (Kindle Edition)
I have read the whole series of Kerry Wilkinson's books and I think this is the best one yet. I read it in 2 sittings as I just couldn't put it down. His writing style hits home so easily and it is great to follow the ongoing personal lives of the investigation team as well as the new characters in the plot. I have already pre-paid for the next book Thicker Than Water due out October 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jessica Daniel book to date, 16 July 2013
Andrew King "AKA" (Nairn, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Avoid this book if you want a book you can put down. Also avoid if you are travelling by tube or similar transport. I missed my stop on the way to work and was very tempted to just stay on a few more to be able to read a bit more.

All the characters come to life, they feel like real people and you are privy to their thoughts and actions. If you haven't read the previous four in the series you are missing out, but the book does stand alone if you want to just jump in.

I was lucky enough to win a preview copy but will be buying a kindle version so I can re-read when I am travelling (just not when it is easy to miss my stop).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 18 July 2013
I enjoyed reading this one - possibly the best yet of the series and would recommend it to lovers of detective novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a disappointment., 5 Aug 2013
I've read and really enjoyed the previous books from Kerry Wilkinson in this series. So much so that I pre-ordered this ages ok. Whilst entertaining, it's been a bit of a struggle to get through. The plot and number of characters over-complicates the story and I have had to go back to remind myself who people are. I read a lot and I considered, on a number of occasions, not finishing this. I look forward to the next one and hope Me Wilkinson is back on top form by then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 July 2013
As usual Kerry has written a great book. I have really enjoyed it from start to finish. Can't wait for the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another very good read, 3 Aug 2013
Yet another really good book in the Jessica Daniel series by Kerry Wilkinson, once again good characterization and a couple of fine twists at the end

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking read, 22 July 2013
I've been hooked on the Jessica Daniel series since Locked In, and have been waiting for Playing with Fire for ages! It doesn't disappoint. I couldn't put it down. Roll on October for Thicker than Water!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 21 July 2013
S. St John (London) - See all my reviews
With each book I finish reading in the Jessica Daniels series, I look forward to next next one, well with playing with fire I wasn't disappointed. Once again brilliantly written by Kerry Wilkinson. Fast flowing style of writing, each chapter filled with an exciting, gripping plot. All those that have read previous DS Jessica Daniels, will know that she doesn't always play by the rules, & often ends up in danger, going full speed into every investigation. It's because of the familiar characters, & an in site into their private lives, makes these books so enjoyable & good in every way.One fire scene was written with such realistic detail (understand why at the end) I found myself holding my breath. Another excellent read in this series, roll on October, I can't wait for Thicker Than Water.