4.0 out of 5 stars What a night for a knight!
Published 8 months ago by A2Y

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same...
The first two games in this series were probably the most exciting, fun and beautifully crafted games i've had the pleasure to play.
Published 11 months ago by Gez Errico

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same..., 13 Nov 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
With Rocksteady handing over the reins I had my worries about the direction the game would take. Fortunately WBIE know a good thing when they see at and didn't meddle. But that decision comes with a downside, there is little innovation in this game compared to the previous episodes.

Yes there is a revamped detective mode (which you are mostly a spectator through and takes little skill no matter how much it's dressed up) and some new gadgets, although the super power mittens tip the balance way in your favour and removes the challenge.

I find Gotham is beautifully rendered but a bit unsatisfying as it's unpopulated, like an empty shell. Coming from a couple of months of the living world of GTA V, this was a bit of a downer.

The game is still brilliantly fun to play and you still get that "i'm the dark knight" feeling and thrill. It just doesn't move things along as the previous games did. The voice acting is still second to none and the story remains as strong as ever. It just feels like an add on to Arkham City-2.5 if you will.

Worth playing,was always going to find it hard to live up to parts 1+2. Just get that niggling feeling Rocksteady may have been more adventurous and the product may have been more polished as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a night for a knight!, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
You play as Batman, younger and much less refined in the world of crime fighting. It's Christmas Eve, Black Mask has put quite the bounty upon your head, attracting a number of super villains to take you down. The GCPD struggle to contain the situation and put Gotham under lockdown. The villainous assassins are running riot and it's up to the dark knight to restore order.

The story is very well written, establishing a solid beginning for Batman. The relationship between Alfred and Bruce Wayne becomes the heartbeat of the story and how the two grow closer together in their fight to protect Gotham. The assassins are strongly integrated into a variety of sub-plots; leaving the Joker to rise as an unforgettable oppressive force upon Batman.

G R A P H I C S & S O U N D
Gotham City is split into a number of districts, each portraying an individual style and its own colourful outlook. A great deal of verticality has been thrown into Gotham, giving players greater height to work with when scurrying about the city. The gothic inspired design is very reminiscent of the Tim Burton movies.

Batman's character model is as sharp as ever, displaying plenty of damage detailing as the night draws on. Animations are far superior to those of the previous games, especially during free-fall and caped gliding moments. As the story progresses, Gotham also begins to change and many of its structures take damage from game related events. Buildings tumble, bridge supports collapse and generally all hell breaks loose. The voice acting talents of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are sorely missed, but its Troy Baker's take on the Joker that truly outclasses anyone else.

There are some severe low-res textures scattered about the city, most notably upon large illuminated signs and rooftop objects. Many of these can be spotted from up close or even at a reasonable distance away.

G A M E P L A Y
The combat system remains untouched from the previous games, but some new takedown options inject further life into confrontations. It's still as fun as ever to take on loads of enemies simultaneously, bringing to light new ways to keep combos going and clearing groups of enemies much quicker. The new take downs allow Batman to finish multiple enemies with batarang throws and use stun attacks to provide some breathing room. The shock gloves are the highlight of the experience, transforming Batman's hands into fists of lightning. Equip these babies and the combo counter will explode through the roof! Plenty of upgrades and fancy gadgets can be unlocked also.

Many gadgets can also be used during combat to keep enemies on the back foot. Enemies still pose a threat no matter how big or small they are. The martial artist is a trickier proposition before Batman, not only does he have fancy karate moves, but he can also counter Batman's attacks. Gangs roam the streets in packs, some carry firearms, others beef up with armour so they can take a greater beating. Using Detective Mode can keep you one step ahead of the game, especially when entering heavily guarded areas. The silent approach is still your best friend. The city is yours to protect, keeping the grapple gun close at hand consistently gives you that aerial boost to get about easier.

The main story missions will have you encountering each of the deadly assassins. Many result in lengthy boss battles, whereas other encounters become integrated into predator gameplay sequences. The predator sequences are still challenging affairs, but enemies are for more alert and expectant of your presence. Away from these missions there is plenty to get up to in Gotham: help stop petty crimes, track down convicts, solve riddler puzzles and solve crime scene investigations.

The formula may all seem a little too familiar, and it's the combat that suffers in terms of evolution. The crime scene investigations are interesting, but they hold the player's hand and require no skill to overcome.

O V E R A L L
Arkham Origins is by no means a bad game, but the core mechanics seemed to have become frozen in time since the previous title. The story is engrossing, bringing forth interesting opposition for Batman. The graphics and presentation paint a vivid Gotham City. The gameplay is tried and tested, sticking close to familiar concepts yet executing them well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why change a winning formula?, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Ok, so the story is a little predictable but so what? It's still a whole new story with new things to do and new (some of them) people to remove from the streets of Gotham.

The combat system hasn't changed, the gadgets haven't changed (much - the exception being shock gloves) and the overall atmosphere of the game hasn't changed. That, dear readers, is a good thing. Many websites which reviewed this game said that not changing aforementioned features was a bad thing, but I assure you it is not. This coming from gaming sites that consistently rate CoD and BF high, despite them being very similar each time.

The 'Most Wanted' missions are really good and give the game an extra boost, in both time and fun. These can last as long as you want them to because they just stay as markers on the map until you complete them.

There are plenty of reasons to buy this game but to list them all now would take away from the fun of finding them out for yourself! Buy this game!

2.0 out of 5 stars Personally and like most of us I loved the first Game Arkham ..., 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Sorry for my english first. Could write pages about that but I will keep it short, clean and simple.
Personally and like most of us I loved the first Game Arkham Asylum, enjoyed the second one a lot and thought "well more of the same is still good enough for me, cuz I am the Bat!".
Unfortunately that doesn't pay out at all. Mechanics feel dated and need improvements. The story sounded promising at first but feels uninspired and boring very quickly compared to what chances they had within the setting. Some of the backtracking drives you crazy at points and I don't know how you feel about the riddler trophies/datapacks/stuff that is stupidly scattered around the world to let you collect things without asking why - for the sake of completion. One of the major problems is that BAO simply tries its best to 'add' things but mostly fails to deliver anything really interesting and new.
All of that would have been more or less 'acceptable', not great or cool whatever but acceptable for most of the time if there haven't been that much bugs and crashes.
If you ask me be patient, always be excited about what Rocksteady is going to release in the future and on next gen and in the meantime stay with the other two games. AC for the open world and increased presentation. AA for the original experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Knight Rocks!, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Bought this game as i love the Batman gaming saga.

Was not disappointed by this.

Story is around 8 hours but the side missions are a lot longer.

Recommended if you love the other two Batman games!

Defiantly a game to play over Christmas (gets you in the spirt).

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait till they release a patch!, 29 Oct 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have never been that bothered about writing a review for a game, I buy it and normally know what I'm in for. With this game it wasn't the case! It has absolute terrible game destroying glitches which for the life of me don't know how it weren't fixed in testing other than they wanted to rush the release of it to get it out in time before Xbox One/PS4. It freezes constantly, where the only thing you can do is reset your Xbox, and it happens (in my case) every hour. Which then after countless times of this happening, when I rebooted my 360 I got a corrupt save file and had lost about 6 hours of play and had to start from scratch which was very annoying. Another issue I suffered from was terrible frame rate where its like playing in slow motion and it happened in a load of the cut scenes. There's a lot more I've read about but these were the ones that affected my play through so I'd hold off on buying this till they have released a patch to fix it cos this game is broken.
If it weren't for the glitches I would of given it 5 stars as the story is imo strongest of the series with top voice talent, gameplay is identical nearly to the 2nd game which I loved.
WB Games Montreal have got a lot to learn from Rocksteady thats for sure

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, but still a brilliant game., 15 Mar 2014
J. Cockrill (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Great game. Really enjoyed playing it. It seemed slightly shorter than Arkham City, but was still absolutely absorbing and brilliant fun to play.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me? :(, 27 Oct 2013
S. Whiting (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I feel really disappointed that I'm having to give this game a below average score... I want to love it so much but I just can't get past what I think are some really awful issues - I'll try to write a balanced review but I'm afraid it's been a pretty negative experience for me :(

I'll start with...

THE POSITIVES:

- The graphics are great, and Batman's new look is (in my opinion) really cool. I like that WB took the opportunity to make the 'Origins' story more fleshed out by changing a few subtle things about Batman and his surroundings.

- Exploring Gotham and the Batcave, and reading up on characters that Batman is meeting for the first time is a great way to add some depth, fans of the previous Arkham games probably won't find this feature to be a surprise, but it's still cool.

- I really enjoyed the story, and some of the interaction between characters is great!

- The new approach to 'detective mode' is fun, though your participation is minimal... Don't expect any real 'Aha!' moments like I found from solving riddles in the other Arkham games. The game does about 90% of the work, and all of the figuring out is done by Batman without your help... Which actually kinda sucks now that I mention it, as I bought the game wanting to 'be' Batman!
Still, it looks good!

- Troy Baker makes a pretty damn good Joker!

- The boss fights, while marred by some of their own issues, are generally approached a lot better than in the other Arkham games, in my opinion - They're all cinematic (in the best possible way), challenging and mostly unique in terms of gameplay - I really found myself looking forward to them rather than dreading the usual 'dodge, batarang, stun, beatdown' approach.

- There are a lot of great *ideas* in Arkham Origins, but sadly in my experience they flopped in execution, or just straight up did not function.
Which takes me on to...

THE NEGATIVES:

- First and foremost, the game is glitchy as all hell, and this was shocking compared to the beautifully polished games by 'Rocksteady'.
I'll list a few of the ones that reaaaally annoyed me:

The Warner Brothers ID system... That was a bad sign the second I saw it, and sure enough, the game couldn't log onto their servers when I first tried to play it, which meant that it never got past the menu screen... First impressions! I mean... Why do that? Why add such a horrendous feature?
In the end I was able to play the game buy disconnecting from XBL, but it was a pretty duff start.

Fast travel: Freezes my game about 50% of the time I use it. After I'd noticed that the game couldn't handle one of it's most FUNDAMENTAL features, I just stopped using it for fear of having to re-start my console for the 100th time... This meant that I was travelling 'the old fashioned way' all the time in-game, and this became pretty tedious at times! Still, it was faster than having the game lock up and me have to re-start.

Texture/content pop-in: I'm not that bothered by little things like texture pop in, especially in games that I know are pushing consoles to the limit by having a tonne of stuff on screen and generally being awesome, but when I was flying around Gotham and suddenly the game fails to load any content whatsoever, that can kinda ruin it for me.
A few times this happened, and Batman flies straight through half-loaded buildings, can't grapple, and then falls through the street when I try to land. Fail.
N.B - I tried to force the game to 're-load' the area by activating fast-travel... Which then froze my game. Double fail.

Predator moves not working: Again, pretty damn fundamental to the Batman experience in this game, if you ask me... The game gives you tutorials for various moves, and I thought it was odd that the 'que' never came up when I positioned myself above an enemy for a 'silent takedown from ledge' - I really missed the move, but then I noticed that the prompt DID appear in one scenario after a whole game of it not happening! Imagine my disappointment when I push 'Y' and... It froze the game.
Also, the 'RB' que has failed to pop up when I'm trying to grapple between vantage points in a predator room, leading to mission failure... Urgh!

I think that's it for the worst glitches! Mostly the game just freezes at every opportunity, especially when entering/exiting buildings or going in and out of cutscenes (one problem that ruined the boss fights for me).

Other issues for me come from a few personal gripes... Like any sane body, WB decided to leave the combat system *almost* totally alone.
I mean, lets be honest, it's probably the best melee combat system in a game by a country mile! Rocksteady nailed it... But WB couldn't help trying to add a few things that for me just made it way less interesting.

Personal gripes include: Where the hell is the 'disarm & destroy' technique!? (It is in the game, but it takes a LONG time to make itself known, which made every encounter with armed enemies rather less fun and made Batman feel significantly less badass than in AC)

Why did WB add an extra animation to the 'stun and jump off of one enemy on to another' attack? This makes it incredibly hard to use, as it's similar to using a ground take-down in the middle of a crowd: You're going to get interrupted! I loved this move :(

I'll leave it here as I don't want to go in to too much boring detail...

To summarise: Arkham Origins is just less immersive and less fun than the previous Arkham Games, not because of anything that can't be fixed, but because of what I perceive to be dumb ideas and poor quality control.
Or is it really just me!? I mean, regarding the glitches I've found a lot of people complaining in forums, but not very many mentions in reviews - I'd be interested in hearing other peoples (constructive) comments on the matter.

I didn't expect this game to be as good as Rocksteady's work - Those guys created this series and have proven that they know exactly how to make a game, but there's no excuse for WB releasing such a glitchy product, it's just a shame. Especially because both previous Arkham games were executed so well in that regard, even before you take actual gameplay in to account.

It's definitely an Arkham game, and at it's core it's great, but several layers of 'Rocksteady' polish are clearly missing. The devil is in the detail, I guess!

2.0 out of 5 stars A step back from previous iterations, 13 Sep 2014
Flavio Mauri "blackdog" (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
A definite step back in the saga.
Story is weak, well spoiled during promotion of the game and unfortunately doesn't live up to the hype: there is never a moment when you feel the prey and in danger, the Assassins recruited to put Batman down are the less challenging boss-fights ever experienced - just follow the scheme and you'll get past.

Game doesn't feel overwelming like Arkham City, that was maybe too distracting with side missions... but this one doesn't motivate you to follow the story or tackle side missions, particularly disappointing the Enigma challenges, as they are much less challenging than previous chapters.

Technically there's some problem in the sound mix, as even if I lowered the music and sfx channels, dialogues often were not clear. Some bugs prevented me to accomplish a few "Crime In Progress" actions.

Stylistically there's a definite "more techy" touch to this that makes it less believable as a prequel to Arkham Asylum.

3.0 out of 5 stars No to bad., 13 May 2014
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Not a bad story, graphic were okay, the controls weren't as responsive as I would have liked. Some bits were a little tedious and repetitive, but over all the game was still enjoyable.

Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360)
Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360) by Warner Bros. Interactive (Xbox 360)