4.0 out of 5 stars It saved me from my apathy!
This album was released on April 12th 2013 and is their 5th studio album. The album cover of the Asian boys in contrasting fashion is a contrast to the black and white pictures with the red colour of the inner booklet.

Published 6 months ago by Matt182

3.0 out of 5 stars Different
Different to my usual taste in music but enjoyable all the same. Different to my usual taste in music but enjoyable all the same.
Published 20 months ago by ardee62

4.0 out of 5 stars It saved me from my apathy!, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Save Rock & Roll (Audio CD)

Fallout boy never appealed to me before. I was well aware of the band and thought a couple of their songs were alright. The only song of theirs which really stood out for me was their cover of Beat it which I think is, if not the best, one of the best covers of any song ever.

This year I went to Download festival 2014 mainly to watch Linkin Park and Avenged Sevenfold but I thought at the time I wouldn't mind seeing these guys live. When I did I really enjoyed them and they went way up in my expectations. I liked the sing along 'whoah-oh's' on the new songs which I don't usually go for in songs but they were perfect for a live performance. So weeks later I decided to check out the video for Alone together, which I'd heard on the radio, and then bought the album.

I know that the band made quite a change to the sound for this album and some of the fans were disappointed. I get that, and I've been there with many bands, but for me I'm seeing it from the perspective of a new fan who only got interested because of this material so I can't make any comparisons. Upon my first listen I thought the album was a bit of a mix and match. Most of the first part sounded great but the latter part of the album wasn't so exciting. It didn't take many more listens to change my mind though and have an appreciation for the album as a whole. It's far from perfect but it is a great album with sing-a-long choruses and an energetic, sometimes epic vibe. It's a concept album with all the songs fitting together for a theme and the band have videos for every song for 'The young blood chronicles' which you can see on Youtube.

The fast, energetic strings at the intro of The phoenix is an awesome way to begin this album and got me excited from the start. It's one of the best tracks with a strong chorus and is a testament to the vocal abilities of lead singer Patrick Stump - that guy can sing! The playful lyrics, determined attitude and pop rock sound set you up for the feeling of the whole album. The first single Light 'em up follows with not such an intense sound but the lyrics are still pretty dark. The chorus is pretty short and pretty simple but the song's rhythm is great and the song is helped out by the sing-along "whoah-oh"s. Alone together is my favourite track; with a powerful sound throughout and incredible vocals with a chorus that lifts you up off the ground. Once again the "oh-oh-oh-oh-oh"s definitely have a positive effect! Where did the party go slows things down a bit with its droning bass rhythm and cool lyrics. It's definitely more laid back than the first 3. The bridge and the chorus are both catchy and it sounds cool. Just one yesterday is a highlight which features Foxes. The chorus is strong and carries the song even though the rest of it sounds good, and the female vocal works bang-on with Patrick's vocals.

The mighty fall feat. Big Sean is good but not 1 of my favourites. The chorus is simple but big and the verse lyrics are cynical. The rap is pretty good and it works well with the sound as a whole. Miss missing you picks up the pace and has a far more positive vibe - this is 1 of the best. Patrick expresses some impressive vocals throughout and the chorus is powerful with decent lyrics. It's got an 80's reminiscent sound to it which I really enjoy. Death valley goes back to the dance rock sound. The verses are OK with smart lyrics like 'undress to impress' but it's the chorus that really saves the song from being mediocre. Young volcanoes has to be my 2nd favourite after Alone together. It's a powerful track with a really positive feeling. It's backed with acoustic guitar and sounds really cool. The sustain on the 'wild' has given me goosebumps before; the chorus is that good! Rat a tat feat. Courtney Love is an interesting one. I am not at all a fan of Love's contribution entering with 'It's Courtney b****!" - beautiful! The profound and strong chorus is what really makes this song half decent. The bass line will make your head bop. The title track is a decent song. It sounds different from anything here with its piano backdrop and contribution from fan Elton John. I swear they stole "you are what you love not who loves you" from a movie starring Nicolas Cage called 'Adaption' but I won't hold it against them! The collaboration is unexpected but it works and the sound is good, especially the chorus.

As a new fan of the band and being really impressed with this album, I am planning on buying their previous material. It's a really good album and it's made me a fan so that's recommendation enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Save Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
An album that takes a little time to grow on you, but after a few times around.....absolutely fantastic! Worth every penny...highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Save Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
I love fall out boy and I must say they have come back well! Not like their old stuff but I really like it

4.0 out of 5 stars Fall Out Boy are back!, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Save Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
Let me start by saying (fairly obviously) that this album is a must for any FOB fan.

The album continues the transition in style from early punky FOB to the style found on Folie a deux but still with all the original power and punch from the band early on.

The only reason I haven't given it the full five is that the second half of the album is not nearly as good as the first. The first five tracks from 'The Phoenix' to 'Just One Yesterday' are great with the last having a new very distinctive sound! They have all the youthful energy and I like the style of the drum n bass in your face! The tracks make me feel real young and as if I'm back at a festival out in the sun....which I'm not.

Like I say the rest of the album is not as good but still well worth listening to and Patrick's voice is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall Out Boy set the Bar!, 19 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Save Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
If you don't buy anything else this year, then get this! FOB at their absolute BEST! Absolutely brilliant - every song a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Return, 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Save Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
Pete and Pat prove that the whole is better than the sum of its parts. After a break to explore (under whelming) solo experiences this is a welcome return for FOB. It seems the break did them good. Not ones to be stuck in a rut their music continues to evolve with a nod to several modern genres. Most of the songs are heavily produced in a sort of Phil Spector wall of sound way, but are none the worse for it my opinion. Packed with the usual catchy tongue twisting tunes that you can't shake off, every song is strong with little filler. Once again I am impressed with FOB's consistent quality and both old and new fans will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, 11 Sept. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Few bands are able to keep up the quality!, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Save Rock And Roll (MP3 Download)
It's a fact that any musical artists are going to get progressively worse as the years go on and they release more albums. This happens to all of them. It doesn't always mean that their new music is bad. It's just never as good as their early stuff was.

However, Fall Out Boy have done a damn good job at keeping up the quality of their music. Maybe it has to be your 'thing' in the first place. I know they're not to everyone's taste. But if their earlier albums were your thing, this will be too. It's a bit of a different style (songs now have short names like song names rather than entire sentences!) but it's brilliant. It's more mature, it's less tongue-twisting, but it's perfect. I know that these songs will mean a lot to me for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Save Rock And Roll (MP3 Download)
Great album, the sound is somewhere in between their early stuff and Folie a Deux. It works really well. I even liked Rat A Tat, which I noticed a lot of reviewers here weren't keen on. The last track is worth listening to - I thought FOB and Elton John seemed an odd combination, but it works really well. Young Volcanoes is definitely my favourite though.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really do love it, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Save Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
What a great cd FOB have done it again, played all the time, and love the featured artists. Well done.

Save Rock And Roll