5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album!!!
Published on 1 Jan. 2012 by Malika Steed

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Everything Changes
I have always liked Julian Lennon's albums. So I was keen to purchase and listen to this his first album for several years, his first release apart from the strong single 'Lucy' a year or so ago. I have listened to the album several times and tried hard to like it more than I do without success. It is for me an album which treads the middle line entirely - it has its...
Published on 2 Dec. 2011 by aussie mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album!!!, 1 Jan. 2012
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
I'm sitting here on January 1st thinking that I'm long overdue a review for this album. I have been saying to everyone I know or on Julian's Facebook page how much I love this CD. I'm no critic, expert or anything like that nor do I pretend to be. But I thought, rather than continously saying things time and time again, I'd better do something a little bit more concrete and write my feelings about this CD on amazon, as it might help influence other people to hopefully buy it & help the White Feather Foundation in the process.
One thing to make clear before I begin. I'm not going to pretend to be one of Julian's diehard fans. I've always liked his music and kept an eye on what he was up to, but life kept me busy doing other things while he was most presumabely doing other things himself. Yes, he is the 1st son of the legendary John Lennon and his beautiful 1st wife Cynthia. But it's never mattered to me in the sense that I do not feel people should be judged on their birth or their past but on who they really are, what they stand for and what contribution they bring to this planet.
Indeed I was aware of Jules' humanitarian work and music but that was it. One of my friends on facebook kept sharing updates (that I absolutely loved) from his page and I ended up 'liking' it too. I haven't looked back since. This is also thanks to this beautiful online community that I found out about 'Everything Changes' being worked on. It was due to be released in October and I decided that this is what I wanted for my birthday. Nothing fancy, just that CD. It was well worth the wait.
I analysed the cover first and found the artwork to be absolutely gorgeous. Opinions will differ, mine is that it's beautiful by its simplicity, the romantic tone set to each of the photo and the symbols which anyone will identify to one way or another. Simple, straight forward and beautiful at the same time. The eye of someone enlightened and able to identify the beauty within this world.
Then I took a look at the lyrics and felt that each of the songs had a story to tell, but a story that lies within. The artist's feelings maybe? His life experience? The way he sees things? I didn't know at that stage and I probably will never know. It doesn't really matter to me in the end. I felt a strong feeling of wanting to listen to this CD and hear those lyrics put into music...
So I listened to the CD and was completely mesmerized. The different influences felt in the songs, the harmonies and the vocals fitting each and every song very perfectly. I can honestly say that there is not one song that I dislike on this CD. It simply hits home. Plain and simple. It has an ability to soothe, reassure, calm and comfort the soul, to take me to a different level where only I feel at home and at peace. The beauty and simplicity of the songs and their meaning, the ability to connect with me in a way not many artists are able to is endless.
Yes there will always be people commenting that they do not like it. To each their own. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I am ready, I have opened my eyes a long time ago and this album is proof that I'm not the only one. It is not leaving my car anytime soon. I listen to it while driving and whenever I get a chance at home.

My conclusion to this long, and perhaps boring review for some, is that Julian doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. His generosity, kindness and spirit comes through this beautiful album and I connect with it. So thank you for the gift Julian... :-) x

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasing Maturity, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
This is Julian Lennon's latest album. It is his most sophisticated effort yet in his musical endeavors. Gone are the boyish vocals we once heard on "Valotte". In their place are vocals by Julian with a pleasing maturity. Some of the lyrics seem a bit melancholy in a few of his songs (Everything Changes, Lookin-4-Luv, Hold On) but there are also some nice effects in this catalog of his latest work. "Hold On" is a good example of this. While the lead-in for this song sounded slightly heavy, reminding me of a film score, the rest of the tune has a refreshingly light touch. As the heavy, ominous notes in the beginning start to fade, they give way to what sounds like a classic pop song, re-mastered for today's listening audience.

Lennon's piano playing in this song is evocative of the ripples one sees in the water gathering momentum, after a pebble is thrown in. When that momentum begins to build, a simple layer of percussion is added. As his voice intensifies, a hint of strings emerge,rounding out the musical balance perfectly. Perhaps the nicest effect is felt during the bridge, as Julian's hushed vocals wash over the listener in soothing,reassuring tones.

"Touch the Sky" strikes the same thoughtful balance,maintaining the structure of a classic pop song, with modern touches. The listener is never overwhelmed by the guitars,synthesizer or percussion on this, which serve to enhance the song,rather than drown it. The backing vocals,which are often too heavily applied in today's tunes, are instead a softly melodious and haunting accent.

Appealing as these tunes are, the diamonds for me on this album are "Disconnected","Never Let You Go" and "Beautiful". The first two songs are cloaked in Indian chords, a nice nod to the influence that Indian culture had on The Beatles' music. More than this, they show Lennon's spiritual side,as they each portray what sound like musical illustrations of ascending levels of consciousness. Starting from a level of placidity,they build to a crescendo and spiral into the Great Beyond of Infinity. Yet for all these likenesses, they are still different. "Disconnected" is a statement about humanity, while "Never Let You Go" is a sublimely soaring Love song. "Beautiful" which was once alluded to by Julian as an homage to his father, starts as a simple piano piece. It too seems to be speaking about another state of consciousness, as the chorus swells into seraphic harmonies and backing vocals. One can definitely feel the love here between father and son.

While I have few criticisms with this album (the underlying tone of melancholia in a few of the songs,and the plodding rhythm of "Always") I still feel it is Julian Lennon's best work to date. In the past, some critics have been dismissive of his work, feeling it came across as a poor imitation of his father. If these same critics would take the John Lennon/Beatles lenses off while listening to his work, they'd see that, yes, while Julian does have echoes of his father's voice embodied in his own, and some of his song structures and vocals are influenced by The Beatles, Julian Lennon is definitely his own person, and the music on this album bears his unique stamp. He isn't trying to be Julian Beatle here, or a John Lennon clone, which is probably what the critics were hoping for, and (much to their bitter disappointment) didn't happen. At the same time, they are missing Julian's talents as an accomplished songsmith. The lyrics in every song on this album are nothing short of outstanding, and have proved to me, that despite the years of struggle to break free of the comparisons, and be accepted as an artist in his own right, his individualty has come shining through.

"Everything Changes" is a thoughtful, polished, well-intentioned piece of work. It may not reach out and grab you the first time you listen to it, nor even the second, but after a few times, it begins to enchant, with its elegant musical structures, lush vocals and cultural accents throughout. There is much on this album for anyone and everyone to enjoy. These are well-crafted,sensitive songs, though I feel his best is yet to come. Bravo, Julian! We look forward to what you'll present us with next. My rating for this album is four and a half stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ALBUM OF 2011, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
Everything Changes - great album- very moving and touching songs- you can feel every emotion in Julian's words and music-so much you feel you are a part of the music and that you understand how he feels- The best album in my opinion of 2011- A true artist-

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a Great Album, 5 Jan. 2012
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
Being in my 60's I remember the day when the Beatles brought out a new album & they would play it on Radio 1 or The Light programe I cant remember, & then over the coming days they would play every track and comment about each one & eventually nearly every track would be released as a single and so the album would evolve and with the daily drip feed we all came to know & love that album really well & could probably sing every song on it. What happens now, Radio 1 or 2 play one track if its not an instant hit or if it's not a favourit of the DJ's it quickly gets dropped from the play list and then its dropped, single & Album quickly forgotten. Take my word this is a brilliant album & if you love the Beatles & Julian Lennon you're love this album. Join my campaign cherish your CD's, get radio to start playing album tracks again so that we can get to know the albums well, there are so many albums & artists getting the cold shoulder from radio these days we need someone to start p[laying albums again.
Downloads are ok but there is nothing like owning the original source or the nearest we can get to it, manufacturers do your bit by giving good sleeve notes & packaging & fair prices, the CD will survive if you do your bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Changes ~ An Inspirational & Beautiful Album, 28 Dec. 2011
J. Williams - See all my reviews
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
I have had the unique opportunity, along with many other fans, to follow the progress of this album online over the past 5 years. I heard early rough cuts of a few of the songs early on & it has been a joy to see this album finally come to fruition.

It's really difficult for me to choose one favorite song on this album. Although, I have to say that "Everything Changes", "Hold On", "Touch The Sky", "Invisible", "Just For You", "Always", & "Beautiful" are my MOST favorite. But I really do love them all!

Julian Lennon has been quoted as saying that he feels this is his best work to date. Although his earlier work was amazing in itself, I have to agree with that statement. This album has a more free flowing & peaceful feel than some of his earlier work. It truly shows where he is mentally & spiritually these days, which is in a very good place.

I may be somewhat biased, but I truly do love his work & would recommend this album to anyone who loves all music. He truly is a very creative & talented song smith in his own right. "Everything Changes" is a solid album start to finish.

Thank you, Julian Lennon, for sharing your talent with us. A truly inspirational & beautiful album. <3

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrying on the family tradition!, 13 Oct. 2011
Femme Fatale (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
It's not often that I immediately fall in love with a CD, but there honestly isn't a 'bad' song on this album. Yes, there are huge influences from the Beatles, both in the melodies, musical style, and lyrics (think jangly peace & love!), but surely that's to be expected from someone who's father had a huge influence on modern music and society. Personally I find Julian's lyrics haunting, mature, thoughtful, whistful, inspiring, sad, simply moving in every way. Even after just one listen this morning I'm still humming the melodies too. I bought this having only ever heard two of Julian's songs before "Looking 4 Luv" (on this album) and "Much Too Late for Goodbyes" (from years ago), but I'm glad I took a risk!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush production, melodic and consistantly strong song list, 5 Oct. 2011
R. A. Blackley "rab" (perth, scotland/ once EK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
Welcome back Julian, first play and not a bad song as far as I can hear!!
Lavish production adds to the melodic feel to the track listing and Julians
vocals sound as good as ever, yes a very strong nod to the Beatles, what a surprise!
however to my ears more Brian Wilson, Beach Boys which is hardly a bad thing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!!!, 13 Oct. 2011
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
What a brilliant album!!!!!
Great tunes,excellent vocals,awesome guitar,piano,bass,drums etc and the production and mix is very good.
I've only had the album for a couple of days and can't stop listening to it.There are very strong tracks on this album.The timing of the guitar riff on the latter part of Disconnected is just superb.
Anyway I could waffle on for a long time about this record,needless to say I highly recommend this album because basically it's just BRILLIANT!!!!!
Buy it now!!!
Well done to Julian and everybody involved!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it and disregard reviews if you like his stuff, 24 Jan. 2012
G. S. Kirkilas (il,usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this cd. It has been a long time since he put a cd out and I truly beleive thats what made this one a keeper. Sometimes musicians just keep writing and recording songs too quickly and come out with crappy music. This is one of my favorie Julian Lennon cds , actially may be the favorite of all of them. Good work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 13 Oct. 2011
Mr. N. Hughes - See all my reviews
This review is from: EVERYTHING CHANGES (Audio CD)
What a complete treat from start to finish. Strong songs,lush production and heartfelt vocals/lyrics...music you can 'really' get into.
Fabulous!

EVERYTHING CHANGES
EVERYTHING CHANGES by Julian Lennon (Audio CD - 2013)