5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better.
Published 19 months ago by Louisa Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars losing his touch
A suitable story but the series has now become overly formulaic.
But not in any way going to prevent me reading the rest of the series.
Published 13 months ago by Mr. M. A. Senior

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better., 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus Book 4) (The Heroes of Olympus) (Kindle Edition)
This review is on my own behalf, and that of one grandson, one nephew and two godsons. Which in itself tells you why Rick Riordan rocks. He's got boys reading. And his books just keep getting better. We were all blown away by The House of Hades, for so many reasons. The story kicks in hard from the first line and never lets up; it's so exciting it leaves you breathless, none of us were able to put the book down. The descriptions of place are haunting, Riordan really does have a genius when it comes to the spirit of place, all described with his trademark simplicity. So this adventure delivers all any reader could ask of it - faultless plotting, atmosphere, shocks and surprises, just the right loose ends to make you long for the next in the series.

But Riordan has another gift; he knows young people. He knows what they worry about, what scares them, what makes them doubt themselves, what they care about, how they wish they could be. All his characters have an inner life that draws you to them; they may be demigod heroes, but they are recognisably real at heart. Riordan's kind and inclusive compassion for those in personal turmoil really comes to the fore - and the story of Nico di Angelo is the heart-stopper. Nico really does grow up in the most dramatic, honest and honourable way. The scene in which he opens up in front of one of his friends - because for all his friends' sakes he must - is one of the best, and most loving, scenes Riordan has ever written, and in getting it so right he has done a very great service to any young reader who identifies with this troubled yet courageous boy. It's beautifully done. And all the other characters grow just as much, just as bravely. Yet the whole tale is told with the same laugh-till-you-choke humour that made the Percy Jackson books so popular from the first.

So, heart-in-mouth thrilling, scary, funny, full of information, imagination, and the message to keep hoping even when it seems no rational person could. There are weird characters, wild ones, and two unexpected heroes...complete with an awesome cat. So thank you - again! - Rick Riordan, you can officially do no wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown Away, 8 Oct. 2013
This is the quickest time I've read a book with this many pages and I am blown away. I've always been a big fan of Percy Jackson and have (im)patiently waited for HOH for a few months now and this doesn't disappoint. You get really attached to all of the characters which is uncommon and I found myself exclaiming out loud. Jordan also manages to keep a sense of realism and addresses issues and topics that most authors would dare not to. Adore this book and can't wait for the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Oct. 2013
Once again, Rick Riordan has made it so that hoards of fans will be screaming: "WHY?" at the top of their lungs. His way of combining witty dialoge with heartbreaking scenes and tragic stories has really brought The House of Hades to life. Imagery that lingers with you and makes you want to cry with these beautiful characters Riordan has brought to life. This is a world away from The Mark of Athena in so many ways, addressing important new issues and taking our demigods a step further in discovering themselves and the prophecy.
Jason has been developed and brought forward as a character and filled out so that his '2d personality' has become flawed and personal one I looked forward to reading. Piper, once more often accused of being 'flat' came into her own. This may have been because her POVs were few and far between, meaning she was described more from other perspectives and therefore, there was little - if any - tragic thoughts on her relationships. Frank... well Frank has grown up. In more than one ways in in so many directions that my heart swells when I think of him as if he's someone I can pat on the head. Hazel has struck me more in this book than she has in all the others, burstig from her normal role as a backing character and taking on important roles in the quest. Leo, everyone's favourite mechanic, has also changed although his range of inappropriate jokes are still wide, varied and flying all about the place.
Percy and Annabeth who left us hanging off the edge of our seats have grown to rely on more than each other, but on themselves and other people who help them. They trust their insticts implicitly and act so adult, yet with the childish aspects that we have never really seen before, in the face of danger that coupled with Riordan's writing makes you feel you are with them.
And Nico, who I always leave til last, has faced his biggest fears, his biggest enemies and himself - probably the most dangerous one of all. This character always struck the protective bone in me and I wish with all my heart, that I could give him a hug. Because, ladies and gentlemen, this boy needs one.
Can't wait for the next book, The Blood of Olympus, to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn it, not again., 11 Oct. 2013
Heart wrenching and beautiful, so Riordan through and through. Loved every second of it, I hope to see a happy Nico at the end of the last book, as well as Leo, Calypso and Reyna. Somehow I doubt I'll see that. 5/5 would recommend.
READ THIS BOOK PEOPLE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved, 10 Oct. 2013
Loved this book so much it was great had everything you want in a book it was amazing great read

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous, 10 Oct. 2013
I had waited so long for this book and as soon as I picked it up I could not bear to put it down.
It was very long awaited and brilliantly written

5.0 out of 5 stars The story continues, 9 Oct. 2013
Mrs. Melinda M. Hall (NI UK) - See all my reviews
This is the 4th book in this series and as with the previous books it is very hard to put down. I put this book down once because I had to sleep. The story flowed well and gripped you as you turned each page to see where the story would lead you next. Autumn 2014 is too long a wait for this series to continue, but to pass the time I will go back and read Percy Jackson and co., again and again. Another great book in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing., 20 April 2014
Wow. I can't even put into words how I feel about this book. But I gotta try. Firstly, why does Rick do this to his readers? Leave us hanging on the edge waiting for the next instalment? I love love Percy Jackson and I now can't wait for the blood of Olympus so that I can find out the conclusion.

The characters were just as amazing as I remember from the previous books and though in most cases of multiple view points I get confused, in this case I didn't once, this is because each characters voice is wonderfully unique (unlike some books where you forget from who's perspective you're reading from).

Tartarus scared the crap out of me. I mean if that's hell then I seriously have to some stuff to make up for so I don't go there :-p lol In all seriousness, the descriptions and world building for Tartarus will give me nightmares for months and the monsters down there were truly terrifying. As an adult that's saying something, I'm pretty sure any teens reading this will be a bit freaked. Or not. Teens today are kinda hardcore. It might just be me as a wimpy adult.

The character who drew me in the most in this adventure was probably Nico, oddly enough. I found out some stuff about him I didn't realise and it was great to see beneath his usual mysterious and impenetrable outer shell. Though my all time favourite will always be Percy himself. He's brave, yet flawed and such the perfect guy (and if he had a 20 something year old brother with all those qualities I'd totally be in there!).

Anyway, I digress. Excellent adventure, witty, devastating, emotional, heartbreaking and ultimately amazing! I swear Mr Riordan better not ever retire from writing. He's awesome. Enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 9 Oct. 2013
Great individual stories making up the next phase in this book series. More in sight in to the main characters with some great twists. Some old faces making a clever reappearance too. Makes a great read for all ages. Can't wait for the next one even though it is a 12 month wait....!

5.0 out of 5 stars The quest continues, 13 Oct. 2013
We are used to our band of demi-gods having to face monsters but in this book they must also face their own darkest places, the secret fears they keep tightly inside themselves.

Frank comes into his own as a son of Mars and from being a gifted but fearful demi god learns his own strength and his ability to lead others, despite his fear of his life wood burning away. Hazel is given a large part to play in the events of this book and she has to learn her own sorceress abilities and stop trying to hide from the gods' notice as an anomaly who should be dead. She rises to become a pivotal character in the struggle to close the Doors of Death which is the key part of the quest in 'House of Hades'.

Jason must realise he cannot always lead the others and his divided loyalties to Camp Jupiter and Camp Half-Blood are at the heart of his dilemma. Piper comes into her own as well as she learns that her somewhat nebulous talents as a daughter of Aphrodite can be utilised to much greater effect. She must learn her own value as part of the team.

Leo, insecure, brilliant, scared of his fire powers as well as embracing them, conflicted about his feelings for other members undergoes an emotional experience which allows him to grow up.

Percy and Annabeth must endure the terrors of Tartarus, dungeon of torment, and must learn to rely even more heavily on each other. Annabeth must discover that all her brilliant plans and knowledge cannot always help in such a terrifying place and Percy must learn that even a monster can be a friend who sacrifices everything for you and what is right.

And as for Nico, his dark journey continues, is even harder and, I suspect, he has so much more travelling to do before Gaia is defeated. In this book he is forced to expose his personal tumult completely and utterly in the service of his friends and you become aware of just how brave and honourable he is.

But the heroes have no time for emotional reflection, the never-ending action drives them on in their quest. The writing is tight and fast-paced. There is tension, witty dialogue, action and plenty of sword play and demi-god magic. Riordan's ability to render Tartarus as a living and breathing place is exceptional. He brings the Roman and Greek myths to life, breathing life into the ancient characters for a modern generation to know and love. This is a worthy addition to the saga.