5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Read After Dark is the Perfect Title
Published 13 months ago by DragonRose UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much of a muchness
The description implies a collection of stories but in fact it is a continuous theme from the first one. I got bored and gave up about half-way through the second. Too far-fetched to be really interesting/
Published 8 months ago by operabuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Read After Dark is the Perfect Title, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Don't Read After Dark: Keep the lights on while reading these! (A McCray Horror Collection) (Kindle Edition)
What an amazing set of books, all of them had me grimacing at one point or another and thoroughly enjoying those grimaces. I especially liked the books Fresh Meat and All Hallow's Eve, both unique and intriguing. I couldn't put them down and had to read them from cover to cover in one sitting, separately of course. I don't normally read horror stories, am more of a regency novel/romantic novel reader, but these books caught my attention from beginning to end and I really would recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite read, 30 Nov 2013
A great set of books. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them and would recommend. Full of twists and turns to keep you on your toes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 29 Dec 2013
Frenchie - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
More 4.5
I like Carolyn McCay, so, I decided to try this other genre from her (I am a great fan of the Robin Hood Hacker ).
The stories were really good, except one (in my opinion)
- The first one, Fresh Meat, reminded me of the first and only SAW movie I watched (with my eyes closed). A girl is kidnapped and put in a dungeons with cages full of serial killers or the most depraved criminals and she is their 'treat'. Like in SAW, things happened but they are remotely engineered by the whoever is keeping them there. The story was good and the end was very twisted.

- Widowmaker was very good. The plot was plausible as horror goes and it also featured the same detective as in Fresh Meat. It is a bizarre story of a horror movie coming to life but you cannot help thinking that this could becoming true in a distant future. Twins with an evil mind and an evil druid god. On this, I do not think you would catch me watching an horror movie in a basement or even in a dark cinema, like all these people did in the story. Good ending or rather, not what you would expect.

- All Hallow's Eve: a concert for Halloween and a crazy killer is out there, his victims on the lists are all named after saints and killed in the way that the saints have been killed in the past. Very good but I have found the killer unlikely.

- Rook: Rook: Let's stop the Apocalypse- This was my favourite of them all. Rook is a complicated character but he is reminiscent of heroes of old. But what is he? a wizard? no, he is a 'Caster', well, someone with magic who works for the good of humanity, by casting spells, incantations and the likes. I also liked the idea of a mobile Hellgate. Yes Rook will always be a favourite of mine and I hope I will find more adventure with him and Beauty, his cross dresser Arranger.

- Club Death: Come for the dancing. Stay because, well, a madman has you trapped inside. My least favourite and the one I did skip a lot of pages. Most probably more my mistake than the author, because I did not understand it all.

Supper - well, I started reading it after I had my supper, and believe me, my supper threatened to come back up. Cannibalism and if you saw the movie ''Wrong Turn [DVD], it is on the same vein. No thank you, I did not want to know if a hand was more tasty in the soup than a foot. Still, there were some funny moments in all that gore.
My advice: read it on an empty stomach.

In all, there were very good stories despite the element of a 'thriller' missing a little. I should have been scared but I was not really. I enjoyed the stories a little bit too much to be scared (even the Supper one) and I think it is because Carolyn McCay is a fun person, she likes humoristic puns but they do take out the element of the thrill and the fear. It is hard to be scared when you want to smile.

Still, an undisputed four stars from me. I have been highly entertained and it is all what I asked.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much of a muchness, 7 Nov 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing story, 13 Oct 2013
Club death story is missing after chapter 3..? Was just getting into it.....one star till fixed....good stories like her style...

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 9 July 2014
certainly didn't live up to the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Great reads

3.0 out of 5 stars 50/50, 9 Jun 2014
Some were very good and some were very average, but for the price they make perfect holiday reading. None of them are going to stretch 'the little grey cells'.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear! Oh dear!, 7 Jun 2014
Purchased this purely based on the collection title but am now wondering why l bothered. What a load of tosh. Struggled through the first three just to see if things could get anymore ridiculous and was not disappointed. Started the remaining books but just could not be bothered to complete them. As far as I am concerned these are writers to avoid and keeping the lights on does you no favours - turn them off as you will not miss anything!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 11 May 2014
One of the best set of horrors I've read, and I've been a horror addict for...wow, maybe 30 years?! My favorites were Fresh Meat and All Hallows Eve, both were unique, gory, funny and hey, even had a bit of romance thrown it! Going to search for more by both authors, hope I find some?