on 15 March 2014
This was one of the worst written books I've ever read. For a start, it was incredibly badly edited (not edited at all? self published?) and was littered with grocers' apostrophes, commas flying all over the place, and endless misspellings in both English and Spanish. It was insultingly careless. Yes, we can accept that the main character is called Michael by his English chums and Miguel-Ángel by his Spanish family. But in the first chapter, set in England, the NARRATOR kept sliding between Michael and Miguel. Very confusing and no literary reason for it. It wandered from touristy Spanish setting to touristy Spanish setting so that it often felt like a sentimental guide book, full of orange blossom and sangría. And guess what? Hero arrives at ancient padronal Spanish village on day of ancient padronal feast, so we get padronal saint's procession and fiesta thrown in for good measure. He describes all the female characters just in sexual terms: lips, boobs, hips, legs. More insulting nonsense. The writing was pedestrian in the extreme, except where it was laughably wrong. This, for instance, is a real sentence from the book: "That's when Alison picked up the rock and hit Alison over the head" (sic). I'm not giving away what it clearly should have been, just in case anyone feels like trudging through this fifteen year old sub GCSE writing and finding out whodunnit. Why is this rubbish getting published? And getting good reviews? It was because of them that I read it! Don't bother!
11 comment8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2014
I did wonder how the English detective abroad would work- and I had read a couple of reviews which suggested they wouldn't. I picked the book up with an open mind and thought 'go with the flow'! I think that it works well, Michael's back story is interesting, and certainly different which was frankly a breath of fresh air.

The main character is a bit of a loaner and appears to have a slight shoe fixation but I found I did care about him, and wanted to find out more. The crime story element was engaging and and had a few good twists and turns, it does keep you guessing. I am hoping that the next book gives us a bit more depth to Michael- and follow up more about the Spanish side. The descriptions of the scenery and everyday life give you a good minds eye of the surrounding area, and you have the impression that the author knows & loves the area well. This would be a good book to read on holiday, not too complex but enough to keep you guessing.
on 19 June 2015
Have to agree with Book Club Groupie on this one, which is set in the region of Spain with which the author is familiar. It became very convoluted towards the ending, when all was revealed, could have done with a very sharp editing knife. If I could have deducted another star it would be for the line:" Rosana's faded denim jeans, the KNIFE-EDGE CREASE that ran down her long slender legs" . Everything went downhill from there, the picture of knife-edge creased jeans haunted me.
on 31 July 2014
I could not put the book down once I started. Wonderful conclusion at the end. Did not expect it too worked out like that
on 21 August 2015
I find it hard to reconcile what I've read with the reviews that give one or two stars. Each to his own as they say but I enjoyed the characters and the story plus that atmosphere.
I was disappointed to find there are only two Fernandez books.
on 11 October 2015
Very enjoyable, interesting story which included a range of characters and subject matter. After reading about the tapas dishes, paella and seafood I'm definitely in the mood for another holiday in Spain! Looking forward to the next book.
on 24 January 2015
Bit slow to start with and took a while to relate to the main character, Fernandez, but enjoyed the twist and turns of the investigation and the stereotypical differences between the English and Spanish characters made a good read.
on 29 September 2015
Quirky, a different slant on a Spanish crime novel. Good plot. My only problem was I couldn't like the main character particular, but I still went on to read the sequel to find out what happened next!!
on 8 January 2015
Living in Spain for 3-4 months a year,met was good to reads novel based around the areas that I could recognise. The story was full of intrigue and kept you guessing until the end. Nothing to dislike.
on 4 May 2014
Well done the author to make a mysterious disappearance and a historical book in one. Really enjoyed the main characters and also the description of the Spanish lifestyle.