5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to jump start your interest in the genre...
Like another reviewer has said, I'm not really a short story fan...... usually. I am however, a fan of post apocalyptic/end of the world/last man standing type fiction, so chose this book hoping to find a few good stories to tide me over until I found my next 'currently reading'.

The stories have been well selected and although they all follow a similar...
Published on 6 April 2009 by Me read

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great stories, some not so great
Published on 30 Mar 2010 by Dr. Andrew Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great stories, some not so great, 30 Mar 2010
Dr. Andrew Phillips (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a collection of 22 short studies (and some recommendations for further reading) that all share the post-apocalyptic genre. There are some great stories in here, but also a few that either don't really belong here or that I personally didn't really enjoy. A lot of the authors will be familiar to fans of apocalyptic fiction as they have often written well known full length stories of a similar nature.

Almost all of these stories are set many years, or even generations, after some sort of disaster. The disasters are quite varied in nature, and not even specified or important in some cases, and the stories are mostly quite imaginitive in terms of the premises on which they are based. However, a lot of them simply weren't that interesting to me or didn't really go anywhere. If you're a fan of the genre then you will probably find something you like here, but I recommend that you try 'Beyond Armageddon' first if you haven't already. It's a similar compilation edited by Walter Miller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to jump start your interest in the genre..., 6 April 2009
Me read (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The stories have been well selected and although they all follow a similar subject matter, they're all so different and even the very, very short stories stay with you after you've read them. It was interesting to find a few new takes on the genre and for this reason I'm glad I read 'Wastelands'. These stories have helped me find a few new branches to head along and broaden the subject for me.

This is the perfect book to have by your bedside, for those times when you only want to dip into a book....but be warned, even with the best intentions of "I'll just read one story to wind down before I drift off" can turn into ".....maybe I'll just read one more little story THEN I'll call it a night......or perhaps just a couple more....."

This is a great book for anyone familiar with the genre, but equally if you're new to this type of subject it's a gentle lead in to some of the best SF writers around.

What I really liked was the index at the end which gives further suggested reading lists. All books should come as standard with one of these. I had already found and devoured most of the further reading list given, but there were a couple that have now been added to my 'to be read' list.

Get this book whether you're familiar with the subject and looking for new paths or you're new to the subject and looking to explore it. There's something for everyone here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomorrow never comes., 30 July 2008
Jan Dierckx (Belgium, Turnhout) - See all my reviews
Somebody once said that after a disaster there is always at least one survivor to tell the story to others. But what if you are the sole survivor and there is no-one else on Earth to talk to?

Long ago I read a SF-story (or should I say a post-apocalyptic story? Oh well, what's in a name?) about a man who was not only the sole survivor of the human species but of all existing life including vegetation. Because of his injuries he could only crawl. After several months he finally reached the Ocean, crawled into the water and died. His decomposing body would provide the Ocean with atoms and molecules so that in a far future, new life could emerge from it.

Because of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and the Cold War, post-apocalyptic literature was popular. But the fall of the Berlin Wall meant also the end of post-apocalyptic literature.

Today there is a revival of this genre. Probably because adventure and the possibility of starting all-over have a kind of charm. Maybe the most notorious example is Cormac McCarthy who received the Pulitzer-Price for his novel 'The Road'.

In this collection, you won't find stories where an invasion by Aliens or an uprising of Zombies are responsible for wastelands all over the globe. The editor of this anthology, John Joseph Adams, says that they could be the subject for another anthology.
The best thing I can do right now is to give you the name of each author and the title of his/her story.

The End of the Whole Mess - Stephen King
Inertia - Nancy Kress
And the Deep blue Sea - Elisabeth Bear
Speech Sounds - Octavia E. Butler
Killers - Carol Emshwiller
Ginny Sweethips' Flying Circus - Neal Barret, Jr.
The End of the World as we Know It - Dale Bailey
A Song Before Sunset - David Grigg

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good source for this form of fiction, 20 Sep 2011
Richard W. Logan "Logan likes" (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
I would reccomend this book to anyone interested in the post-apocalyptic genre. Its full of interesting and often very personal ideas of the fears and thrills one can expect of life after the end of the western world as we know it, and offers a series of snapshots into very different worlds.
Some are completely post-apocalyptic, set hundreds of years after the often forgotten cataclysmic events, while others speak of the end of the world as if they are within living memory.
Altogether a brilliant compendium of the genre, definitely worth buying.

My only grumble is the lack of work from other nationalities, leaving this book a soley western, and by this I mean American, end of days view. Amazing still is how very different the visions are from people of the same nationality.

Buy it, you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection, encourages you to read further, 2 Aug 2011
This is a fairly eclectic collection of post-apocayptic fiction with lots of different styles.

I purchased it expecting the sort of fiction dealing with the onset or immediate aftermath of an apocalypse, this isn't what it delviers as most stories occur years after the event, and the stories are also a little US-centric but this is no big deal as they are largely well selected and all very different.

The notes before each story are also a nice touch and I very much enjoyed going through this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-down-able!, 14 Oct 2008
J. Dalton "Jem Jem" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I have never been a big fan of short stories, but this is a fantastic collection, I read it non-stop from beginning to end.

It also has an excellent list in the back of the book of further reading for fans of apocalyptic fiction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many unanswered questions for a short story., 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse (Kindle Edition)
I think a subject like the Apocalypse is too heavy and extensive for short stories. After each story I was left with too many unanswered questions and they were too short to properly develop the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse (Kindle Edition)
If you like this sub-genre and want a reliable collection of well written short stories, this is it. Also includes detailed intro,s and background to the featured authors and further reading lists.
I have been dipping in and out of it for a couple weeks; nearly finished and there are no bad entries here and a few really excellent ones.
Recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still confused, 29 April 2012
I'm not sure exactly how to review this item, as I'm still a little bit lost between my expectations and what this book actually could offer me.
The selected stories are brilliant, and the quality of the writers displayed here is just amazing. Still I found quite hard to keep some interest on this book, when the stories are definitively to short to have some pleasure while reading them. There's always the feeling of something missing, that shouldn't come with such amazing writing quality.
In the end, this books stands between a good book, with brilliant stories, and something where we could never get truly satisfied as we should.
It's a pity that such an amazing idea got lost in such short stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Changed my way of viewing post-apocalyptic fiction, 29 May 2011
This collection is a pretty regular one. It has good stories, one or two that are hard to savor and a few precious ones which change your perspectives. In short, a pretty regular thing.

However, I don't want to put off your interest in reading the book by calling it regular. What I mean, is that it isn't an all-rounder of life changing short stories, but rather a comprehensive case of post-apocalyptic stories, which can be quite better than just the top stuff of a given sub-genre.

Well, it showed me that post-apocalyptic worlds aren't filled with zombies or mutant animals, but can even be composed of quasi-functional societies and which aren't descending into a whirlpool of madness and death. Well, it showed me that a apocalypse can be a redeeming event to humankind, rather than an atom bomb in the core of ourselves.

The first story, called "The End of the Whole Mess" by Stephen King, is quite intense, because we are actually reading the testimony of a dying author of the accidental apcalypse, and he can't keep is head straight so the text is very inconsistent. Easily one of the best in the collection.
"Dark, Dark Were the Tunnels" by George R. R. Martin, is also very good. It depicts an Earth which was literally boiled by nuclear bombs and solar winds, and everything is a complete wasteland. A few people survived in Moon and when they finally have the opportunity to explore what remains of Earth, they have quite a unexpected surprise.
And another fine example, "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth" by Cory Doctorow, brings in an unusual point of view of a not very weird apocalypse.

Well, in retrospective it was certainly worth the effort and I recommend it.

Till next time,