Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.69

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 April 2013
3.5 Stars.

First read for me by this author. I assumed it was her first book but have found that she has written some others. If this had been her first book I would have said this author has potential.

This story has a lot going on but I found most of it far fetched and predictable. The first 50% of the book is told in first person from Samantha/Sammie/Sunny/Diamond Girl's POV. I found the authors habit of writing Sammie's thoughts in brackets odd (why do that?!). Samantha is a contradiction. One minute she is Samantha, dowdy housewife who lets her husband walk all over her. I was frustrated that Samantha never stood up to herself more or confronted her husband over suspicious things that occurred early in the book. Even later when she does seem stronger I was still annoyed she didn't really get revenge for things he had done to her. Next minute she is Diamond Girl - 35 year old Pole Dancing Superstar (really?!). Then she is Sunny -Slate's biker chick who likes to swear and talk dirty during sex! I read her as a lot younger than 35.

Then we have the hero Slate. Slate is a 26 year old biker..not a lot I can say about him without ruining the story but he was also a contradiction for me. I don't suppose it ruins the storyline to say that Slate is definitely not all he seems when we meet him as part of a biker gang. Some aspects of Slates 'personality' confused me! The book is occasionally told from Slate's POV but I would rather the author hadn't bothered as I didn't like his 'voice' where he was still talking like some bad ass biker!

I'm not sure I believed in this love story. Samantha fell in love with Slate without knowing very much about him apart from he gave her her first orgasm and they have great sex. I couldn't believe Slate was in love after what he allowed the character of Garnet to do and even when he gave his explanation to Sammie for this, I felt she reverted back to dowdy Samantha who just takes any crap thrown at her!

I felt sometimes this story was all over the place. A lot of the time I was thinking 'as if' (especially when Sammie's wig never fell off during her bouts of hot sex with Slate!). When certain things came to light I felt the reactions of both Sammie and Slate were unbelievable and some things were just accepted without any reaction..hard to explain without giving away spoilers.

I believe the next book features Slate's friend Taz and Samantha's daughter Lindsey.
on 16 April 2013
I love Andrea Smith's books and this one is no exception..so different from her previous series but the book had me gripped.

I did guess there was more than met the eye with Slate and I was proven right, which made me fist bump myself..

Samantha is a married 35 year old, mother of 1 daughter in university, she fell pregnant when she was 16 by the high school stud, who reading between the lines basically took advantage of her whilst she was drunk and took her virginity at the same time. However, Samantha's father was not happy and basically made them marry and then set them up for life by providing Jack with a well paid job in his company. They never really loved each other but stayed with each other for Lindsay's sake.

Jack neglects Sammie, he is too wrapped up in his own life and other women!! Sammie finally sees the light and decides to get her life back on track and get rid of the "frumpy" Sammie. She starts at kick boxing and the gym and eventually ends up on a pole dancers course and she is really good..with all the exercise she has lost loads of weight, toned up and has the body of a 25 year old. Jack does not even notice. She decides to get a little job to keep herself occupied whilst Jack is travelling all the time and Lindsay is at Uni. The pole dance teacher persuades her to try out for a job at a club that her sister manages. It is not sleazy, higher end with nothing other than dancing on the table. She is a natural and they love her and "Diamond" is born.

Jewels where she dances is frequented by bikers and one particular biker called Slate is particularly entranced by Diamond, they become friendly and eventually it turns into "f buddies". But is Slate what he seems??? He wants her out of dancing and keeping safe..

I won't say anymore about the story as it will spoil the book, but it was a page turner for me, I devoured it. I wouldn't mind reading a sequel to this to see how their life pans out in the future.

Well done Andrea I absolutely loved it and can't wait to read your next book.

[...]
on 5 August 2014
What a pile of garbage. The characters are annoying and totally unbelievable. The plot is just stupid ill-conceived and badly executed.

Everything is rushed and if possible, too many sex scenes to the point it just became boring. It kind of went <plot><plot><plot><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><sex scene><plot>

It was actually borderline inappropriate. The guy's wife is missing and within days of his new housekeeper turning up he's having sex with her, his kids are OK with it, well, they're not OK with it for about a sentence or two but because the heroine is so wonderful they quickly become OK with it because their mom wasn't as good as she is.

I enjoy a trashy novel as much as the next person, but this one had me cringing, I actually felt mortified for the "author". Some people have a cheek making money from writing this kind of garbage.
on 1 September 2013
A biker story with a bored pole dancing housewife and an undercover FBI agent.
It was well-written and interesting with a good protagonist in Sammie/Sunnie/Diamond. I would like to have read more of Slate's POV or even from Sammie's husband, Jack, as to why he was so horrible but generally it read well.
I did notice a couple of spelling errors (homonyms) but otherwise it was well edited.
It'll be interesting to read more of the series.
on 13 April 2013
Well I honestly think that everyone is going to give this a massive thumbs up. It contains everything in it to bring to life a modern day romance.

From housewife to pole dancing, from CEO's to Bikers, from friends to confidants, this book contains a whole mix of people that all add to the making of a really great story.

I think my favourite part is when she is working the clubs, the pole dancing, the music, the scenery, the seediness, the undercover persona, was all really good fun. The underlying story was cleverly thought out and felt very real.

I loved her husband's character, although obviously I hated the ignorant arse! Oooh he's a nasty scumbag! But it's because of those connections you feel with the characters you know your reading a good book, it's one of those books that is alive and to confess a total page turner.

I will definitely be reading anything from the pen of Andrea after this gem and take note of the last line of the synopsis...........

'Diamond Girl' will keep the reader on the edge of their seat from beginning to end; this book has it all: passion, erotica, romance, danger and possibly more . . . much more.

............. Because without a doubt that line is 100% true.
on 30 December 2013
So easy to read...proper Sunday afternoon chill out book....good characters and a decent story (with a bit of belief suspended)!!!!
on 26 April 2013
When I downloaded this I wasn't sure what to expect.but wow it was definitely worth a read.it's very well written and the characters are believable.Slater is just wow.I want him.please read.definitely worth it.enjoy
on 7 June 2013
Love the whole biker bad boy any day but a good bad boy is the best. Great story and great read
on 20 July 2013
I read so many books & was looking for something different. I was drawn in by the sexy cover & description. I'm so glad I gave the book a chance cos I really loved it. I've now read 3 books by this author and currently on my 4th. Let me tell you that this is one hot & steamy book. 5*.
on 28 July 2013
At first glance this sounded like a story about a bored Cougar housewife who embarks on a secret life and then has an affair with a younger man. It really isn't that at all - at least not for me.

Hero: "Slate"/age TBD - mid to late 20's/biker/dark hair/blue eyes
Heroine: Samantha Dennison, aka Sammie, aka Diamond Girl, aka Sunny/35 years/married/housewife-heir to a pharmaceutical company-part-time pole dancer/dark blond hair/green eyes

Story is told mostly from Sammie's POV, but there are several chapters of Slate's POV.

Sammie found herself pregnant at age sixteen the night her high school's varsity football player, Jack drunkenly and quite forcefully took her virginity. Rather conveniently for Jack her father, a wealthy man and founder/CEO of a pharmaceutical company insisted they marry and set her husband up on a successful career within his company. They enjoyed a financially comfortable, albeit loveless marriage while raising their daughter Lindsey. The book opens up with Lindsey having left home to attend University. Sammie, feeling lonely and not liking her status as "Stepford wife" joins a gym and gets in shape and ends up attending pole dancing classes. Next she gets a part-time job as a pole dancer at an exclusive gentleman's club. Shortly thereafter she meets Slate...

"Any time, Diamond," he replied, giving me a sexy smile. He turned going back to his group. I watched as he sauntered away, totally mesmerized by his powerful presence. That was the only way that I could describe it. There was a sense of power he exuded; and it was sexy; damn sexy."

Sammie, to best describe her I need to clarify that I am of the opinion that the better the hero the more difficult it is for the heroine to measure up. I would describe her as a woman who has meekly been controlled and ruled by the men in her life, first by her father and later by her pig of a husband who in addition has been mentally abusive, unloving and neglectful all the 19 years of their marriage. She has never experienced an orgasm with her husband (unclear on whether she ever had one at all). All this said, she does grow a backbone along the way and there is a spark in her and she has a sense of humor about herself that is endearing:

"I was contemplating dropping out [pole dancing lessons]; I could barely move a muscle. It had certainly burst my `I'm in great shape' bubble."

Slate has so many qualities I like in my alpha male heroes. For starters her has murderously good looks; tall, dark and handsome with a striking and sexy physique and presence. We quickly learn that he has a very dominant, bossy and enigmatic personality. And he is emotionally unavailable to Sammie:

"Did we make love today, Slate?"
"We f~ k~ d baby. That is what you and I do. We f~ k. And today we did it damn well."

Slate has secrets and here it gets tricky for me to review without giving away spoilers: Just like Sammie Slate goes through a transformation in the story. And though I like the bossy domineering heroes, I did like the progressive Slate better, he was more mature, still bossy, but more on the protective side and he was much better in touch with his feelings. He did also change his looks just a little as well as his clothing which quite did it for me:

"So are we good then?" I raised my face up to his and we kissed.
"Maybe," I said, starting to feel better.
"Only maybe?" He cocked an eyebrow at me, his eyes full of amusement. "How can I change that `maybe' into a `definitely'?"

As Slate and Sammie embarks on a sexual affair, we are privy to some scorching sex scenes:

"I need to know that you will be a good girl and not scream. Do you promise?"
"I promise," I said gritting my teeth, arching my back.
I heard him laugh quietly as he moved his face back to mine. His mouth was on mine; I could taste the..."

Alas, their budding romance quickly hits a bumpy road with villains, a mystery and dark forces set out to break them apart and even hurt them. Some of the secrets you may guess along the way, but others you may not. For me it was very much a suspenseful romance with an unraveling mystery, as well as a story about second chances. I will say no more as I want you to enjoy the story for yourself!

It has been announced that this will be a series, but my understanding is that each book will have its own H/h.

Andrea Smith's humorous writing style clicks with me and I found myself chuckling on many occasions. Diamond Girl was a suspenseful read. I very much enjoyed Slate's and Sammie's journey!

***
Story ending rating: 5 stars
Book editing rating (5 = no edits spotted): 4 stars
****************************************
Overall rating: 5 stars

Would I recommend this book: Yes.
Would I re-read this book: Maybe later.
Would I read future books by this author: Yes.

<ARC provided** to me by author in exchange for an honest review.