1,505 Reviews
 (1,225)

5.0 out of 5 stars A series that needed to be written?
Published on 2 April 2012 by Amy

2.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT come in a BOX
Published 3 months ago by The Inquisitor

5.0 out of 5 stars A series that needed to be written?, 2 April 2012
Amy (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
Suzanne Collins has said that she wrote 'The Hunger Games' series to condemn 'reality TV and the Iraq war' and I,as a reader, believe that she has succeeded in her aim. 'The Hunger Games' is a televised competition broadcast across the country of Panem, (a North America of the far future made up of thirteen districts) where a boy and a girl from each 'district' is selected each year to fight to the death in an arena until only one person survives. This synopsis may sound brutal and horrific, and to a great extent it really is, but it also shows us how the power of human nature can fight back from such atrocities. The main protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers for the Games so that her sister does not have to take part, is a particularly flawed character and yet this helps to give her the appealing persona that she has. She is first and foremost a fighter and a hunter, but her struggles with her own personal emotions show signs of vulnerability in her personality, something which I believe is needed in order to make her a more rounded character. The 'love-triangle' in the series does at times get a little bit tedious and irritating- there are certain points where the reader will think, 'For goodness sake, just choose!' however this is by no means the main plot line to the novel, but instead an underlying one. Peeta, the boy who is selected to fight with (and indeed against) her is, as Collins describes in 'Mockingjay' the final book in the trilogy, 'the dandelion in the spring'; the character who helps to keep the fiery Katniss grounded when no-one else can. His character compliments Katniss' (even though at times she is really quite awful to him!!). Gale, the third member of this 'triangle' is more like Katniss in temperament- he is fiery and hot-headed- which makes the reader see why Katniss feels so at ease in his company.
The condemnation of reality TV comes in with the reactions of the people across Panem towards the events shown on the programme- they appear to be delighted and enthralled by the bloodbath which commences, and rejoice when the people at the Capitol control and manipulate the arena to create deadly obstacles for the tributes (players) to face. However, we also see the reactions of the families of the tributes to several of the deaths, showing that in fact, the majority of people are appalled by such events.
I do believe that these books deserve a five-star rating, despite their flaws. The main issue I had with this series however was the last 50 pages of 'Mockingjay'. Yes, I was happy with the conclusion, but I felt that it was somewhat rushed and that the fate of Katniss came down to events of coincidence and chance rather than those of choice on her part (you will see what I mean when you read it) which was a little bit disappointing. However, I think that these books are an absolute must-read (for adults as well as teenagers!) and that they will be remembered for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 28 Jan. 2012
Kim Martin "KimM" (England) - See all my reviews
These books are being touted as "the new Twilight" but I can tell you that they are nothing like Twilight (& this is from a Twilight fan). All three books start off quite slow but really take off around half way through and you won't want to put them down until you've finished it !! A little gory in places and the main female character is sometimes unlikeable (see I told you nothing like Twilight !!) but they are an excellent read & I would highly recommend them. Best to buy the set, as once you've read the first book, you'll want to read the others, so makes sense to buy them all at once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget they are meant for teens!, 25 Oct. 2012
When I finished the trilogy earlier today I found myself feeling really frustrated, as the books progressed I was constantly wishing for more information, more depth to the story. I was angry at characters being killed off with only a few sentences and the ending felt so rushed.

However something occurred to me later in the day (after I had calmed down) and that was that I had been so caught up in the (excellent) storyline that I had forgotten they were young adult novels. I recently found a box of my old books in the attic and had a lovely afternoon reading the Judy Blume and Paula Danziger novels I had loved in my early teens. The thing was that as fulfilling, whole and satisfying as these books had seemed to me as a teenager as an adult they just weren't. All the joy came from the reminiscing, the story lines themselves seemed light and fluffy.

The Hunger Games are wonderful books, but they are not adult books, the characters are not as fleshed out, or the story necessarily as rich and detailed as you would expect a book aimed at adults to be. (There is a reason why the Harry Potter books were so universally loved and I think it is that they spanned this gap in a way most other young adult books don't).

It is a real testament to the books that I found myself so invested in them, and I have no doubt that to the 14 year old's reading them they are as satisfying and fulfilling as my teenage books were to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the most part!, 15 April 2012
oldstuff (Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As an adult, I still enjoy reading literature that can be appreciated by both children and the older generations alike. I would include the "His Dark Materials" trilogy in that group and now I would also add the Hunger Games books. The characters are well-written, believable and the interaction is never stifled unless its intended to be. The comparisons with other books and movies in terms of the games themselves have already been commented on but its not the games that gripped me. It was by the end of book three, the choices and decisions being made about the war struck home and they were never wrapped up in fluffy words with a complete hollywood ending. Popular characters were killed off, the grief of those left was laid bare to see and I found myself going over and over some of the arguments in the books and comparing them to what is happening in the world around us. I mentioned the Philip Pullman books earlier as they had a similar effect so I must congratulate Suzanne Collins on writing books that are certainly far scarier and graphic than the likes of the Harry Potter books but also have a far more worthwhile message to say or perhaps question to ask the reader. Completely recommended!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as I was hoping, 9 Mar. 2011
Cat R - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'd heard a lot of good things about these books, and being a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction in general, I decided to give them a go. I don't regret this, exactly, but they weren't exactly what I was expecting.

The first book follows our main character, Katniss, as she participates in The Hunger Games - an annual event in which a group of randomly selected young people have to fight to the death in an arena. The young people are selected from twelve poor Districts (two from each) surrounding a wealthy capital - of course, it's the rich people in the capital who are entertained by the poor kids fighting it out. The whole event is televised for the entire nation to watch. The second two books follow on directly from The Hunger Games, and examine the aftermath of the events portrayed therein, ultimately leading to an attempt at revolution from the Districts.

These books can be read on quite a shallow level as a simple adventure story, but there is a not very subtle attempt at examining what it means to be human and compassionate, how wealth and power can change you, and what sparks a revolution (and what is required to keep it going). The books are well-paced and fraught with tension - I read the lot in about three days flat, and could hardly bear to put them down.

The loss of a star comes from two things: the writing, and the main protagonist. The writing is, for the most part, very straight-forward and not particularly adventurous or descriptive. The reasons for this are clear (the story is told from Katniss' perspective, and for much of her life she has been too focussed on survival to be able to be highly imaginative), but at times it does feel stilted and overly simple. The main protagonist, Katniss, is not always likeable - but the problem is more that she is billed as a fairly intelligent young person, but seems completely oblivious, even stupid, when it comes to certain areas.

All in all, though, the books are an excellent read and well worth checking out, whether you are a member of the intended teenage audience or not.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book reads like a first draft, 26 Nov. 2014
I managed to scrape my way through to the end of the first book, and could not bear to read any more than a couple of chapters of part two. This review is therefore necessarily about the Hunger Games primarily, and not Catching Fire or Mockingjay. This book reads like a first draft, or a concept outline for a film (perhaps suitably, given its Holywood blockbuster conversion). There is a germ seed here for a truly exciting young adult fiction, but it is tragically under-developed. I say, shame on Ms Collins' editors for not sending her back to her keyboard enough times. This story would have benefited from much greater characterisation of more of the people that Katniss had been sent out to kill. I am disappointed by the inclusion of so many "red shirts" that were dead before we even met them. *Spoiler*: I'll give Collins a tip of the cap for exploring the idea of having to pretend you are in love with someone, rather than having a simplistic romance, but that's as far as my compliments go.

(This is no comment on the films, which I have not seen, and for all I know could be much better.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT come in a BOX, 19 Dec. 2014
Ordered from seller ACE_BOOKS, fulfilled by amazon. The books are described as a Trilogy Boxset, but this arrived with just the 3 books shrinwrapped together and NO box, just loose, so clearly not as described and shown in the imagery on the product page. Just so buyers out there know before buying. I'm sure the books content is great, I love the films, but there needs to be more accountability with the descriptions. Bought as an Xmas pressie, so I was obviously a bit miffed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 7 Feb. 2012
Absolutely brilliant read. Could not stop reading from the first page, I finished all three books within a week and would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished in a week, 2 Mar. 2014
I got this box set after watching the second film. The books are Soooooo different. It took me a little over a week to go through all 3, my wife only wanted to read the last book after seeing the first 2 films, but I had to steal it off her when I had finished book one and two.

such an easy read and very hard to put down.
It deserves a 5 star, as it got me back into reading again. Only downside was the ending.
Yes, I was happy with the conclusion, but I felt that it was somewhat rushed and that the fate of Katniss came down to events of coincidence and chance rather than those of choice on her part. It could have easily added another book to the series.

If you pick this up, you wont out it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars the hunger games, 6 Oct. 2011
This is a lovely boxed version of the hunger games.
The story is gripping from beginning to end.
Not to be missed!

Box Set (Hunger Games Trilogy) by Collins, Suzanne 1st (first) Edition (2011)
Used & New from: £7.05