5.0 out of 5 stars Twirling Naked in the street...
An captivating informative read. This review is done with my deepest gratitude as it took me back and brought me full circle to an understanding I wouldn't have have had otherwise. I finally admitted to myself that I am autistic at the age of fifty.

This is a book for everyone autistic or not...
Published 13 months ago by Ms. Mia Nikasimo

2.0 out of 5 stars Twirling Naked in the Streets
Depressing. No insight displayed by anyone. No proper psychological assessment.
Ending flat as a pancake, and no prospect of improvement for her.
Published 4 months ago by jennyolderbutbetter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Twirling Naked in the street..., 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed; Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism (Kindle Edition)

This is a book for everyone autistic or not...

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading., 5 July 2013
I was a little resistant to this book at the outset, and thought the book not to my liking. By the end of the book I had changed my view, and am very pleased to have read it. The simple and straightforward manner in which the author presents the facts of her life results in a better explanation of the autistic mind than is achieved in many more rigorously academic works I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing through someone else's eyes, 20 Jun 2013
To say I loved this book is an understatement. I found it well written and logically laid out (ok, it is in chronological order from childhood to adulthood so it couldn't go far wrong; but, I have seen others arranged by topic and it does make a difference). The author describes her experiences in a very candid and reflective manner. It took me through a whole gamut of emotions; I laughed, cried, cringed, empathised, got angry and at the same time was able to see the entire picture from her adult viewpoint. I know this sounds general in a sense but I don't want to spoil the read and besides there is no need to describe how/if I identified with her experiences. For those who believe they may be on the autistic spectrum or know an adult on the spectrum, this will be a rather comprehensive breakdown of what it is like to grow up undiagnosed. For those who have diagnosed children, this will also give an idea of what to look out for and the possible issues that can be encountered as they grow up. By all means, this is not meant to be a tick list of what it's like to be a high functioning autistic person. Davide-Rivera points out on several occasions that everyone is different. One thing I will say is that my copy of this book is not fit to be lent out or sold (not that I would want to) because it is heavily underlined and annotated now. What I mean is that besides being an engaging read, it will also make you think. I highly recommend it and this is why I give it a five star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, well written, interesting, and enlightening., 23 April 2013
A. Stephen "a stephen" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
A jolly good read, fantastically well explained and very well put together. I could hardly put this book down to get on with my own life! So many explanations of little, easily missed quirkiness, all adding up to this complex individual who gives an honest window into her life.
Very brave, very well written, and very well done achieving all her various goals with such obstacles to overcome.
An inspiration to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and informative, 18 May 2013
Jeannette (South England) - See all my reviews
I'm the mother of two autistic children and know Jeannie via her blog.
I found the book very interesting and insightful, as I do her blog posts,
Would recommend to anyone wanting to know more about living with autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, 16 April 2014
Very readable, even if you're not directly affected by ASD. Really enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to anyone wanting an interesting read with lots of good information without having to read a big heavy textbook. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 9 April 2014
I rated his five stars as a moving story through someone's eyes struggling to find themselves. I work with autistic children and it's enlightened me. what a brave women

5.0 out of 5 stars Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed; Growing Up With..., 31 Mar 2014
Miss N. Lawrence (UK) - See all my reviews
I have always had an interest in Autism and after reading about people who were diagnosed early on I thought reading this would be interesting and wasn't disappointed , this book did get me questioning some of my own behaviors and those of people around me which i was not expecting!

4.0 out of 5 stars Significant read, 15 Jan 2014
Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism

A well-written/titled book (particularly the latter half) that will remain on my shelf, accessible on the days that I need to remember "we are not alone" in our related experiences.

The book is not 'self-pitying,' it records and does justice to the experience of undiagnosed Autism (which can require determination, courage and self-conviction to carry on in the face of occasionally ignorant & damaging health professionals; in order to find the answers.. and you did.)

I would recommend this in the hope that the recipient is enlightened enough to show consideration for those who might share such traits/experiences.

Thank you and congratulations for producing this significant account.. I will purchase the books that are to come?

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 7 Jan 2014
I really enjoyed this book. it was a fascinating on-site into the world of someone with superhero. well worth a read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›