4.0 out of 5 stars first spanish reader

2.0 out of 5 stars A step out of time
Published on 9 Sep 2010 by Annelize

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars first spanish reader, 29 Oct 2009
I would say my Spanish is above beginners level, perhaps not quite intermediate. I learnt Spanish by using the Michel Thomas language Cd's, but I wanted to increase my vocabulary, and do something different than just sit with headphones on. The book starts off with very short tales (half a page in length), using very simple conjugations. You can glance at the opposite page if there is a word that you don't know, then try to read the story through without looking at the English. As you work through the stories, the language gets progressively harder, and the conjugations get more advanced. The stories are light hearted and quite nice. A really good feature of this book is that all the vocab that is used, is repeated in the back of the book in alphabetical order. So in a way, its like a book of vocabulary, with some example stories to see if you have learnt it. I like it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 11 Mar 2010
M. Davies "cromwell-the-dog" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
I'm very impressed with this book. You would think that one dual language book would be very much like any other. Wrong! This is by far the best Spanish reader that I have in my library- the stories are interesting, informative and funny and, most importantly, have been selected to provide just the right level of challenge to someone with a slightly better than basic level of Spanish.

If you can conjugate verbs, present, preterite and future (and if you can form the gerund)then you will find this book just right to help you get used to the style and structure of this beautiful, yet formal, language.

It also, through the 41 stories, proverbs and poems gives an insight that I found interesting and rewarding, into the Spanish character. The story "Padre, Hijo o Caballo?" is very funny and it is worth buying the book just for this yarn alone.

Highly recommended for beginner to intermediate level estudiantes de espanol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read..So helpful to me, 14 May 2010
L. Coyne "Lorena" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I had reviewed a few of these Dual Language books and was kind of confused- So I decided on First Spanish Reader and am so delighted with it.. I am amazed how far I have come in 2wks..I am trying to learn Spanish on my own and had kind of come to a brick wall..didn't know where to go next..so this book is so helpful.. when you come across various words and you need translation well these words are all on the back of the book A-Z..only thing I would have liked is answers to questions as I do not know if I'm right or wrong in Verb terms.. otherwise 10/10-
and as for Amazon themselves delivery in 2-3dys - excellent service..
I would love if someone could recommend a similiar book like this one..not too hard but not too easy either..kinda middle of the road one..

2.0 out of 5 stars A step out of time, 9 Sep 2010
Two main disappointments about this book. The first to hit me is the quality of printing. To start with, I was wondering why there was an asterisk and what strange letter was that. Then I realised it was an extra blob of ink or a half printed letter. Added to which the thickness of the letters alters in some places and I found this distracting. I presume it is a 'print to order' but for whatever reason, I feel the quality of printing is extremely poor.

My second disappointment is the stories themselves as they are mainly old fables and proverbs which means that the stories and many of the words are outdated. In the english text, you will find words such as, 'soliliquized, platitudinous, imperturbably, obscurantism' and stories about the Switchman, The Pedagogical Parrot, The Miser Burst his Bag and a glee club of maddening monotony. In fact the book was compiled in 1964 but the stories go way back before that.

Additionally, one quarter of the book is given over to vocabulary and whilst this is useful, it leaves little room for the actual stories since of course there is the dual text to consider and also questions after each story. You actually end up with just 54 pages of stories in Spanish.

Other reviews I read commented that this is not a beginner's book but more for intermediate. As I was looking for something intermediate, I bought it on that basis and would completely agree that it is for intermediates (with an interest in fables.)

Would I buy it? Yes - if it was 1.00.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard, 11 April 2011
I have been studying Spanish at home by myself with the help of Michel Thomas et al and thought I was ready for a bit of Spanish reading... well it looks very hard to me! If this is for beginners, I must still be a wannabe beginner! I will persevere though.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Spanish Reader, 17 Dec 2010
Bought for a friend- didn't read all the stories but I get the impression that you learn a lot of historical spanish culture, and therefore it is useful and more interesting than just any random stories. They are quite 'old school' and don't seem to be gripping reads, however they are fun and short stories. Book is in great condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book for the learner, 27 Nov 2009
This is a fantastic little book for the learner of Spanish. You can read confidentially knowing if you're stuck you can just glance across the page. Has helped me tremendously.

3.0 out of 5 stars improving your Spanish?, 24 Jun 2010
A Kid's Review
As a student of learning Spanish, at not a high standard, I did not find this book of barely any use. I feel that it is much better suited to an advanced learner of the language as, although the translation is there, nevertheless it does not give many reference points whereby one can learn very much

5.0 out of 5 stars First Spanish Reader, 29 May 2014
This review is from: First Spanish Reader: A Beginner's Dual-Language Book (Dover Dual Language Spanish) (Kindle Edition)
This book is at just the right level for me. Can read stories in Spanish without bothering to look up dictionary as will get the full translation when I move onto the English version a few pages further on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, 4 April 2014
A useful book for a beginner like me but however I did find the stories less relevant to modern day Spain

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›