5.0 out of 5 stars Great for wall mounting!
I won't go into fine details about what this TV can do because there are hundreds of in depth reviews about it.
-I researched TV's for months. Very nearly went for a Samsung (F6400) but the Sony has a much better build quality, nice metal, thin bezel and better picture. You sacrifice not having 3D, but that's fine for me.
-I don't use the Smart features so much,...
Published 9 months ago by Artwelamazon

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good features but just couldn't get the picture to my liking
I bought this TV virtually solely based on the reviews here (and my many positive experiences with Sony TVs in the past). There are many good features:
- The fact that the wall mount and stand are one and the same. I didn't mount it on a wall but it would have been simple to do so. The stand is very easy to put together, just requiring two pieces of metal tubing to...
Published 4 months ago by red0209

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for wall mounting!, 16 Oct 2013
-I don't use the Smart features so much, as the laptop is more convenient. However it's good to know that the TV has those features if needed!
-You can use a phone/tablet as a remote control! Very cool, even my iPad works fine. With the App you can access all of the buttons that are on the remote control, you can select a program from the TV guide on the iPad and the TV will change channel, genius!. You can also share media (videos, pictures, music from your Windows PC wirelessly to the TV!.
-You CAN record on the TV but you need at least a 32gb USB memory stick (I use a 64gb one). It pops neatly into the back of the TV. Recording is very basic but it's there if you need it!.

I wanted to talk about WALL MOUNTING. The stand/base on the Sony doubles up as a wall bracket, handy but check that you can use it on your wall. You cannot attach a 3rd party TV bracket, as the TV does not have the correct holes in the back.
I was worried at first, because I have 2 power plug sockets on my wall, but luckily the bracket fits around the sockets. Also note that the TV has a speaker system which protrudes out of the back, at the bottom of the TV, this is fine when wall mounted, but make sure that you don't have anything on the wall that would get in the way. You also need to make sure you have room for the Power supply (which comes with it's own small wall bracket), it sits neatly behind the TV. So just be aware of these things before you start putting sockets and plugs in your wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sub 500 gaming TV, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sony KDL42W654 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED Smart TV with Freeview HD Silver (New for 2013) (Electronics)
Just got this TV a few days ago along with my PS4... all I can say is WOW!

The TV itself is stunning, the brushed silver frame looks so high quality and frames the screen perfectly. As for the picture quality, it's flawlwess! I play BF4 which is in itself a visual impressive game and this TV just does it justice completely. Colours are vibrant and the picture clarity is crystal clear, no motion blur at all!

I couldn't recommend this enough!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly stunning!, 20 May 2013
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 6:19 Mins

♦ Brief ♦

Having previously owned a much older Sony LED TV, I was quite excited to see how well this would compare and if it was actually any better in quality.

One things for sure, it's very light for a TV it's size and has a good weight distribution making it easier to lift.

It has a lovely design, the TV width is nicely thin and has very little frame in the way of the screen.

This TV also boasts an X-Reality Pro picture processing engine with 200Hz Motionflow to deliver smooth and detailed images.

♦ Box Contents ♦

Television | AC adapter & power cable | Remote control | 2x AAA batteries |
Wall mount kit | TV stand & bolts | Instructions & other paperwork.

♦ Set-Up ♦

All you need is a Philips screwdriver (Unless you are mounting it onto the wall, in which you will also need a drill).

As my walls are extremely flimsy, I decided to go for the stand option which took barely 5 minutes (except for finding the darn screwdriver which took me 15 minutes).

- Stand Set-up -

Fixing the TV onto its stand is simplicity at its best:

1) Attach the two metal fixtures onto the stand and make sure they are screwed on securely.

2) Place the TV over the metal fixtures and insure they go into the slots. *Note: it's always best to get someone to help on this part to ensure an easy installation.

3) On the back of the TV there are two holes, one on each side, make sure the last two screws are inserted and securely tightened.

And that's it!

- Wall mount -

I'm really impressed with Sony making the stand double as a wall mount with the provided kit, this gives consumers a set-up choice right out of the box.

Those who are wanting to use this will be pleased to know it comes with a big piece of paper that shows you the exact distance of where the holes need to be drilled, this will certainly make the installation less of a hassle.

♦ TV Ports & Sockets ♦

HDMI x2 | Aerial | SCART(AV) | Component | LAN | Digital Out (Optical) | USB | Headphone | Power.

♦ Usability ♦

The remote control included is not only comfortable to hold, it's light and has a decent button layout.

As for the home interface, I absolutely love it, it runs very smoothly with no noticeable lag; the menu is also broken into convenient categories making navigation a breeze.

♦ Internet Connection ♦

Whilst this TV has a LAN port for wired connections, it also has a built-in WiFi adapter which gets a big like from me; a lot of TV's which are "WiFi Ready" require a WiFi USB dongle of the same brand as the TV and are normally very expensive, for example; some previous models from Sony needed such dongle with a hefty price-tag of 50+!

Connecting the TV to the internet via WiFi was effortless to do and the results are great, I can stream YouTube videos directly on my TV in HD quality! (As long as the video was rendered in HD of course).

♦ Picture Quality / Viewing Experience ♦

I am in complete awe of the picture quality, my previous Sony LED TV is around 2-3 years old and I honestly thought it was the bee's knees and that the quality couldn't get any better, but how wrong was I.

When it comes to HD content, the images are sharp, crisp & very smooth, it really brings life to what your watching. The TV also has many different scene modes to choose from such as 'Cinema', 'Cinema 24p', 'Music', 'Sports', 'Gaming' and more, this will adjust the picture & audio settings that will suit what your watching better.

The other main factor which really adds to the viewing experience is the frame of the TV, as mentioned before there's barely any frame taking space of the screen which makes it look like the images are going to flow off the edge.

- Unfortunately I can't comment on the Freeview quality as I don't have the appropriate cables/antenna installed. -

♦ Sound Quality ♦

The sound quality is actually rather good considering how thin this TV is, now it may not be the best and of course wont beat a home theatre, however it does deliver well and don't have any qualms about it.

♦ Final Opinion ♦

This TV definitely heats up the competition in the TV market, not only does it look amazing, it has great online features and is more than able to deliver stunning picture quality.

The more I use the TV, the more I love it!

- EDIT 20th May 2013 -

I've now included a video that shows the box contents, how to set the TV up via the stand & an overview of the TV's interface.

*Music used in the video were the following: 'Speed of Light' & 'No Regret' by Zircon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good TV, 24 April 2014
Crystal clear picture with a crystal clear sound, there is not much i can say that puts this product in a bad light

5.0 out of 5 stars Is your network ready for this ... ... ?, 17 May 2014
Handygrandad (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
------------------------------------------------

This is my third Sony TV over some 10 years and they just seem to get better and better.

Like all the TVs I have seen in shop displays, the initial settings are intended to make an impact: Colour, contrast and sharpness bear little resemblance to real life. I'm reminded of the paint colours I once chose for the kitchen. Every visitor was impressed, but each morning when I sat down for breakfast, it was overwhelming. Fortunately it's fairly quick and easy to adjust the TV's on screen controls to something a little more sober and closer to reality.

This really is a SMART TV it has access to a host of online services, most of which I will probably never use. However, I was very keen to stream audio, pics and video from my computer in the den on the first floor. I started out using the built in wireless adapter to pick up my broadband signal direct from the router (also on the first floor). The TV (on the ground floor), showed that it had made contact with my PC ... ... and then it didn't ... ... and later it did again .... ... In any event the signal was too unreliable to show more than a few seconds of video before it dropped the signal.

Those few seconds were enough for me to see a very high quality image, and that encouraged me to buy a TP Link wireless extender. This was plugged into a mains socket hafway between router and TV and it extended the reach of the wireless broadband signal. So now I got to watch a whole hour of video ... sometimes ... and then sometimes not !

The problem, was that although the signal was a lot stronger, it was still vulnerable to interuptions from other wireless signals from mobile phones, laptops etc. and, as I live in a terraced house, some of those interuptions could easily come from either of my neighbours. Apparently an occasional interuption whilst surfing the net is unlikely to be noticed, but an interuption whilst streaming video will most likely drop the connection completely.

I soon realised that streaming video is only, just, within the limitations of my "wireless" network and the only way I could get a more reliable signal was to have a "wired" network. But I didn't really want to start trailing wires all over the house !

Finally I found the answer ... ... "TP-Link TL-PA451KIT AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit" . This is a kit comprising of two plug-in adapters that transmit the network signal through the mains cables. One is connected by cable to the LAN socket on the router upstairs and plugged into a nearby mains socket. The other plugs into a mains socket alongside the TV downstairs, and connects by cable to the LAN socket on the TV.

The term "Pass Through" refers to the fact that these adapters do not monopolise the socket ther are plugged into. They each have a socket built-in which allows you to re-connect whatever was in the original wall socket.

I am now able to stream material from my PC at will, and the sound/video quality is outstanding.

If I had a criticism of this TV it would be that the issues related to "streaming" and setting up a suitable network don't seem to be covered anywhere in the literature. But it's such a great bit of kit, that I still feel bound to give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony on form in 2013!, 9 May 2013
T. Turner (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Following on from their 5-star review in What Hi-Fi's 32-inch TV category last year, the KDL-32W653a continues Sony's return to form. They've now incorporated X-Reality PRO from 2012's higher end models, as well as Motionflow XR 200Hz. This is my first flat screen TV, replacing an old CRT. Standard definition Freeview is upscaled and looks much, much better than expected. The four Freeview HD channels look absolutely superb. The display quality is very uniform and I've not noticed any clouding. The build and styling is really nice, with a thin black metal bezel. Sound quality is better than most flat LED TVs. The user interface is sleek and easy to both set-up and navigate. WiFi connectivity is built-in and features BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Sony Entertainment Network, Demand 5, Netflix, LoveFilm and various other media apps. It's a shame it doesn't have 4OD, but hopefully this will come on board with future updates. You get two HDMI ports, 1 SCART socket, 1 USB, 1 ethernet and various audio sockets. For the price, the W653a is amazing value. Sony are selling this on their website for 549, with a 50 discount if ordered online. John Lewis stores are selling this model for 499.95 with a free five-year warranty. I'd highly recommend this television to new-comers to HD TV and people looking for a great quality, mid-range set for living rooms where space is at a premium. Please note: Screen Mirroring works with Miracast compliant devices only. Sadly, if you use an iPad, you'll probably need to get an Apple TV device to use AirPlay.

4.0 out of 5 stars But awesome for Xboxone, 26 Jun 2014
Only complaint is that it is a little dark, have to turn brightness right up. Had to play with settings a bit to get it looking more natural, not too saturated. But awesome for Xboxone. Good quality and picture for the price, if you want something without flaws then spend 1000+.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its great!!, 28 April 2014
This TV is amazing.. Superb picture quality, great sound and its just the TV we were looking for.. We are still exploring a lot in this TV and I am sure it will be more fun..

5.0 out of 5 stars My 1st full hd tv, 23 Mar 2014
This TV is my first HD TV and its pretty awesome, the video games look better then ever and its super thin. I cant say anything bad yet since its only a day old but I think it will bring me a few years of fun. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to buy a 42inch for gaming and blueray even tho I have only watched dvds so far lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning piece of kit, great design too!, 9 Mar 2014
I bought this because it offered the best range of features for the price, and was a great looking design too.
I've been very impressed so far. The screen is excellent and is great for 1080p gaming or blue ray films. The contrast it also exceptionally good - the blacks are very deep; none of that backlit LCD 'glow' of old.

The internet functionality is great too. It's best to have the TV wired via ethernet if you can - the wifi is a little slow by comparison but still works a treat. The applications are great too. I've used Netflix on it a great deal and the interface is really good. Youtube is also great since you can pair the TV with you laptop or phone and 'throw' videos from these devices to the TV; a great party trick and actually very useful.

The sound is pretty good too - better than many of its competitors although a sound bar or 2.1 system would be helpful to reach a more dynamic range.

Since owning it, Sony has released 2 or 3 updates for its operating system. All have been helpful and glitch free and show that Sony have an eye on continual product improvement rather than just leaving it in its 'as launch' specification.

One point that I'd raise is that the stand that it comes with does not have a tilt or rotate functionality - they are just legs for the TV so you'll need to make sure that the table you sit it on (in my case) is a suitable height for your viewing.

All in all a very good product that I have qualms in recommending.