Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 2 March 2014
No I don't know either but they managed it some how. I love Tina Fey and Paul Rudd, chuck in a bit of Lily Tomlin and Michael Sheen and what have you got? A complete waste of talent, that's what.

The story starts slow and stays slow. There are some funny bits, some shiny bits of solo brilliance, but these aren't enough to hold the rest of the plot together. As usual anyone with a British accent is either bad or untrustworthy - and gosh isn't that film device a bit worn out now?

Anyway, this is a waste of good acting talent and that's a sad thing.
on 23 December 2014
A really enjoyable film. I had to watch it in one sitting, which for me is the sign of a good story line as I wanted to see how it would unfold (although being a formulaic romcom I probably knew anyway). Tina Fey is not only a good actress and comedian but attractive to watch. A nicely done story, you won't be disappointed if you are looking for a typical film of this genre.
on 9 January 2014
I thought admission would just be another comedy, nothing great, just a bit of fun, especially given the two main actors. Don't get me wrong I love Paul Rudd and Tina Fey, they just tend to be in a particular type of film, this was very different from what I was expecting.
I don't want to say too much about the plot as I could spoil it but I felt there was quite a heartfelt story and the setting was original and interesting.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes Tina Fey or Paul Rudd, don't expect big laughs though, It's deeper than that, though I did laugh out loud a few times.
on 9 July 2013
Portia Nathan (Tina Fey) is an honest aggressive admissions person for Princeton. The beginning of the film establishes her character and perfect life. She visits a school in New Hampshire, near where she was born, to make a presentation. Her reception was a bit unusual and at times confrontational. John Pressman (Paul Rudd) runs the school and wants one of his exceptional students, Jeremiah (Nat Wolff) to attend Princeton.

Portia's mother is played by Lily Tomlin, who I thought was dead because I don't watch a lot of TV shows. She proves to be quite the character, like something stolen from John Irving. It appears that Jeremiah may be Portia's biological son she gave up for adoption. This creates numerous humorous, "That was weird" moments as her life has just been turned inside out.

Perhaps the oddest thing about the film is that the writers seemed to have placed New Jersey and New Hamshire near each other as the characters are constantly and without much effort driving back and forth between the two, sometimes twice a day.

This is a romantic comedy with an emphasis on comedy. It is a feel good film, but not a tear jerker. A film Tina Fey can use on her resumé.

Parental Guide: 1 F-bomb. No nudity. Off screen implied sex.
on 17 November 2013
I knew nothing about this film, only that it starred Tina Fey whom I love, but it turned out to be a wonderful surprise - an absolute gem from start to finish, with flawless performances from all the actors involved. Funny - and moving in parts, particularly the scenes with Portia's mother (an excellently, prickly portrayal by Lily Tomlin.) It didn't go in the obvious directions in could have done, but took some surprising twists and turns I found immensely satisfying, and the story ended on a nicely upbeat note. The mark of a good film is whether or not I care about what happens to the characters and I really did. Good writing, good acting, good story.

Highly recommended.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 March 2016
2.5 / 5
Not awful but not great either.

The good?
- The story was (just about) interesting enough to have me wanting to see what would happen next
- the general vibe is light-hearted full of light / ridiculous comic relief
- A great cast with Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Lily Tomlin, Michael Sheen and Nat Wolff

The not so good?
- a lot of jokes miss the mark and fall into the silly / ridiculous / "huh.. I guess that was meant to be funny.." territory
- the story is kind of mediocre in general in terms of interest - not very memorable
- the story is not very believable / realistic; it feels quite scripted
- the overall feeling this movie left me with was: meh.

Overall would I recommend it?
Well, let's just say I'm not going to be shouting from the roof tops for everyone to watch this movie.
I guess humour is very subjective so there's a chance others may find this funnier than I did. If you like the humour in 30 Rock and similar slightly silly comedies, you may like this.
on 27 June 2014
I was so looking forward to watching this but was let down! I couldn't even be bothered to watch til the end which is unfortunate as I really like these 2 actors a lot. However I will go and watch some 30 Rock and a couple of Paul Rudd movies to compensate and remind myself that they can be very funny, just not in this film.
on 8 April 2014
Weak plot, made little sense, dull & slow...I agree with Miss Hall from South Wales, reasonable cast, I like Paul Rudd, though this is fairly typical of him...I just expected more to be fair...Don't waste your money or time with this one, I wish that I didn't
on 14 October 2013
I was bored watching this. It wasnt really funny or well directed. I didnt like the boy and I did not see why he was so special and they did not bother to show it to us - they only said facts about his skills. Tina played well her role but nothing outstanding. I did expect more from this movie.
on 16 June 2014
Not the worst film in the world - harmless and light hearted. Saturday night type of film with good characters / actor's