5.0 out of 5 stars ...Like Clockwork - QOTSA
I have never written a review on Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter) but I feel compelled to write on for QOTSA's latest offering as I cannot believe it is not averaging 5 stars, nor do I find it a fair reflection reading other reviews comparing ...Like Clockwork to previous QOTSA efforts (or even TCV).

Before I start on ...Like Clockwork, an album review...
Published 16 months ago by Michael Munro

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid effort from Homme & others
I don't buy too many CDs these days, but opted to give this a go as I heard many good things about it. I am also a big fan of early QOTSA stuff (as well as Kyuss), my favourites being the self-titled debut, Rated R and Songs for the Deaf. I heard this was a return to form, as some of the more recent stuff has been hit & miss.

I've listened to it several times...
Published 16 months ago by Man_5

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars QOTSA back to their best, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Like Clockwork (Audio CD)
After the brilliant 'Songs For The Deaf' and 'Lullabies to Paralyze', I found 'Era Vulgaris' a bit disappointing, so was apprehensive when I heard about 'Like Clockwork' on QOTSA's Twitter feed, but the feed provided links to 3 (or was it 4?) animated videos of songs from 'Like Clockwork'. I was so impressed that I bought the album and wasn't disappointed.

The album contains great rock tracks along with some slower tracks with some great piano work and Josh's dreamy vocals.

Standout tracks include my favourite, 'Kalopsia' which also features the vocal talents of Trent Reznor, the brilliant 'Keep Your Eyes Peeled', 'My God is the Sun' and the slow 'The Vampyre of Time and Memory' which I think shows how QOTSA have grown. I don't think there are any weak tracks on the album.

A must buy for any QOTSA fan and a great introduction to QOTSA for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come to those who wait, 14 July 2013
C. willis (bath uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Like Clockwork (Audio CD)
At first I was a bit dubious and didn't expect much. Oh how I was wrong! This has to be among the top albums by qotsa. Only 10 tracks but each a piece of brilliance. My personal favourites are 'smooth sailing', 'I sat by the ocean' and 'I appear missing'. It hasn't left my car Cd player since its release :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dusty Noir, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Like Clockwork (Audio CD)
Bought this on the strength of My God is the Sun being on very welcome heavy rotation on Planet Rock. This album is one of very few that I've played again straight after listening through once. Not sure exactly how you genre-fy this type of rock, but for dusty, lo-fi, slightly spaced out and at times ethereal music with great hooks and rhythms, this is a gooden!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amesome return from QOTSA, 9 Jun 2013
This album is just awesome. Moody, rocky, brings tears to my eyes.
Love it.
This edition has lots of artwork including lyrics. The sleeve is very thick, good quality cardboard. A good product all round.
Would certainly recommend buying for fans with a turntable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag of excitment, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: ...Like Clockwork (MP3 Download)
I was very impressed by this album, even after the first listen. This is much a mixed bag of colourful sounds and unusual guitar effects ( like on 'if I had a tail'), Josh n co have certainly returned with a bang, and have clearly been working hard on this one, as the tracks are not without punch and feeling. This will not fail to impress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic!, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: ...Like Clockwork (MP3 Download)
So many good things about this album, even after just a couple of listens. As usual with QOTSA many of the tracks just seem to get in your head without you realising it at the time. Excellent stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: ...Like Clockwork (MP3 Download)
So far so good, really getting into the new sound its like every album evolves into something else. So if your queens fan its a no brainer, if not then give this album a go you'll not be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid effort from Homme & others, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Like Clockwork (Audio CD)

I've listened to it several times now, and I think despite all the hype, it's not quite the QOTSA of old. There are several slower numbers on the album which, despite decent song-writing, don't quite do it for me. And with only ten tracks on the album, it doesn't leave too much for you to turn the volume up and headbang to (e.g. track 4 songs for deaf).

My conclusion: There are some good tracks, but if you're looking for the heady drug-fuelled buzz of the early days, it isn't here. It beats Lullabies, and Era V., but just don't expect it to blow you away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw / hypnotic & slightly groovy., 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Like Clockwork (Audio CD)
Let's get to the point shall we. We all know that when Josh Homme finally pops his clogs, he'll be remembered as an outright genius from the highest stratospheres of rock. But it doesn't mean that everything has gone his way and the form of Qosta has fluctuated since Songs for the Deaf & the departure of Nick Oliveri.

Whilst 'Like Clockwork' doesn't deliver the breadth of style that we saw back in the days of R-Rated, what it does drop in to your earholes is the harmonic equivalent of dynamite.

There are more hooks in this album than in the final scene of Hellraiser and it's probably the first album I've listened to in years where I can't decide which is my favourite track. 'I Sat by the Ocean' - 'If I Had a Tale' - 'My God is the Sun' are the obvious killer tunes. Each of them packed with brain spanking riffs. The remainder of the songs all have their haunting virtues but 'I Appear Missing' is a work of art that delivers in anthemic proportions.

My stereo will be put to good use this summer. Make sure yours is too.

NB - 'My God is the Sun' is a musical tribute to Judith Chalmers.

Those are the facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars All downhill from here?, 3 Jun 2013
Mr. Simon J. Harpham "SleepyHead" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ...Like Clockwork (MP3 Download)
There aren't many bands these days that get the opportunity to grow from their seeds to something far greater, and few of the bands that get the chance either know how to, or take, the opportunity.

This record is the sound of a band grabbing that opportunity by the throat and squeezing the bejezus out of it.

True, there's only a little left of the maniac drive that Nick Oliveri brought to QotSA - there's nothing as full-on as anything on Rated R or Songs For The Deaf - and if you're expecting that kind of record you're going to be disappointed. Even though the arrangements are crushing in places with sounds layered on sounds until there's no more room left, there's much more space on this album than anything they've recorded before. Instrumentation is stripped right back (for a while) to let each song breathe and even though piano / vocal doesn't sound very rock, when the arrangement takes hold and things spiral to their final, downbeat, conclusion there's still a feeling of breadth.

And that's exactly what make this record great - space. Any old fool can add 100 instruments together, but it takes real quality to give those instruments room to move and tell a story. God knows what story Josh Homme's telling - it certainly doesn't sound like a happy story that's for sure - but he tells it all with the touch of a master storyteller.

Maybe it's all downhill from here, but it's a hell of high to come down from.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

Like Clockwork
Like Clockwork by Queens Of The Stone Age (Audio CD - 2013)