5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and cool
A large drive at a good price which is actually very fast, with sustained large file writes peaking at around 160 MB/sec - blazingly fast for an external drive. Some other 3TB drives I've seen at a similar price (less than £10 cheaper) could barely reach 40MB/sec on similar transfers, which is pathetic.

Even after an extended write session of many hours, the...
Published 15 months ago by G. Forsdick

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead after 6 weeks
Published 1 month ago by Beangoose

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and cool, 8 Aug 2013
G. Forsdick - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung 3TB D3 Station External Desktop Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)

Even after an extended write session of many hours, the case was warm rather than getting hot, and remained quiet throughout.

Only owned this drive for a couple of weeks, but so far operation has been flawless.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Drive for use with Smart TV, 17 Oct 2013
R. S. Walker - See all my reviews
I purchased this to use as storage for a Samsung smart TV. It seemed reasonably priced and the TV accepted the addition with no problem. The only possible downside is that it does have a separate power supply, which is supplied, and is not powered from the USB interface

4.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with a Mac, but a little noisy, 6 Sep 2013
Hawfinch - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've had the 3TB Samsung for a month, and I'm finding it a very speedy & reliable drive for use with my MacBook. I use it primarily for Time Machine and for storage of large media files, including HD video, which I can play back from the drive without lag or stutter - even while a Time Machine backup is going on in a separate partition on the same drive.

The only negative point is that it does have a slightly annoying spinup whine compared to other drives I've used, as well as an audible tapping noise when accessing. I don't believe it's faulty. These sound like the typical noises that a hard drive makes, just a bit louder than I've previously encountered. It's virtually silent when running without accessing.

I scanned it for bad blocks as soon as I received it (none found).

If you're planning to use it with an Intel Mac for Time Machine backups or as a startup disc, remember to change the partition scheme to GUID, as recommended by Apple, before you do anything else. You can do this in Disk Utility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily setup and operating, 9 Dec 2013
Working in electronic retail, I was never a huge Samsung fan until their LED tv's came out, and then their computer optical drives/storage media. Ever since then, I have tried my best to use Samsung as often as possible. This device is very simple to use, easily setup and does what it is promised. The formatting is quite simple with the software, which initially had some glitches starting up, I blame my computer or my eagerness to get it working.

The best part of this though, is the option to set up a lockable partition. Easily done, very much so. Nothing complicated, and to be honest, very user friendly. Thanks Samsung for another great product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead after 6 weeks, 25 Sep 2014
I used this once, as soon as I got it, to back up 1.5TB and then boxed it back up and put it on the shelf. I went to use it six weeks later and it was dead as a door nail. No lights, no noise, no spinning. I would not recommend this drive. It is actually a Seagate product and I am very grateful to Amazon for allowing me to return it as the Seagate RMA is a complete nightmare.
+10 to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty, 1 Feb 2014
Matthew J. Hick (U.K.) - See all my reviews
Bought this at what I thought was a good price, but since it only worked intermittently & nearly caused me to loose all my data I'd have been better off paying more & getting something more reliable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Responding (2TB Desktop D3 Station), 7 Nov 2013
I brought this product because of the brand, price and seemingly good reviews.

Unfortunately, like the other 1 star reviews I have received a faulty D3 station. The device does not work on any computers, it 'lights up' and then does absolutely nothing. It shows up in device manager (uninstalling and re-installing doesn't work) but does not show in disk management for me to access it in any way.

I have two other external HDDs, this is the first one to fail on me. I think I'll be sticking to WD as my backup device in future.

I've started the refund process, I hope Amazon will refund me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 3TB D3 Station External Drive, 17 Feb 2014
I do hope Amazon review this message.

When I researched the 3TB D3 Station via the Amazon customer reviews it was highly rated but as I now realise they have mixed a lot of reviews of different drives and this gives it a false rating.

I have two of these drives both seemed to initially be fine but all of a sudden one decided to re-arrange my Bios settings then kept on not being recognised saying the driver did not install properly I have plugged it into several USB slots all with the same problem.

The other drive is installed on a different system and only connected via USB2 and where I managed to do 1 windows backup to it, it now does not do any more and says there is an I/O error. I have used a third party software to backup my drives but this is terrible from such a trusted brand.

I thought I would run the Seagate Tool for Windows to check for any problems but that software does not work. Interesting how the diagnostic software does not work.

So I thought I would run the Samsung Drive Manager software that came pre-loaded on the drive. Installed that and yes you guessed it that does not work either. So I uninstalled it.

I am now left with 1 backup drive that I have to run third party software on to back up as windows backup hates the drive and the other is unusable as it won't install the drivers properly and then makes the system fall over.

I am very disappointed with both Samsung and Seagate for these issues and I am not the only one if you search for them there are plenty of dissatisfied customers. But I am also annoyed at amazon for mixing reviews and giving a false product rating.

I will hope that something gets done but I am not holding my breath.

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 3TB External Drive, 2 Jun 2013
This review concerns the Samsung 3TB "D3 Station" external hard drive, with USB 3.0.
Please note this is actually a Seagate hard drive with the Samsung badge.

I have to say, after being a life long Samsung fan, overall I am very disappointed to say the least with this product.

A. - The Pros.

1. The price for a 3TB external drive is excellent value, especially given it's a USB 3.0 machine.
2. The machine is sleek, sits very nice on your desk, and looks the part.

Sadly, that's it for the pros.

B. - The Cons.

1. Installation is an absolute nightmare.
Far from being the simple "plug and play" we are all now used to, this machine installs fine (so you think) then you find out that when you restart your computer, the drive has decided to interfere with the Bios settings and make the external hard drive first in the boot system, thus rendering your computer an idiot as it looks on the external hard drive for the operating system!

This will result in a boot up time of ten minutes or more, depending on your computer, or in some cases, the computer will simply not start.

This is acknowledged on the manufacturer's website with the helpful information (not really) that you need to enter the bios system on your computer to change the settings.
For the average computer user, this is not something that would be either easy, or really should be required.
Sadly, there is no firmware fix for this problem.

If you do decide to purchase this item, the simple remedy is to make sure the external drive is switched OFF when you start or reboot your computer, you may then switch it on when your computer is running normally.

Seriously, no fix for this is incredibly bad.

2. It's about time the hype regarding USB 3.0 transfer speeds was stopped.

Like many others, this machine boasts of speeds of 10x better than USB 2.0, but like the others you will rarely see these speeds achieved, although the speed itself is faster than USB 2.0.

That's it for the review - If I'd not (and countless others) had the shocking problem with having to fiddle with the Bios settings, the drive would probably have gotten four stars, as it is, I can only give it two.

If anyone comes across a firmware fix for the installation problems, please be sure to post it here for other possible users.

IMPORTANT REVIEW UPDATE:

I initially reviewed this item (3TB Version) three days ago, as a "Be The First To Review This Product".

It may be that my review is negative, but for some reason there are now over 1,000 reviews, making it nearly a five star product.
PLEASE NOTE: The reviews (and therefore star rating) have now been combined to include ALL versions from 500gig to 3TB of this product.
I find this to very misleading, and would point out that my review is based solely on the 3TB version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and most reliable one I have found thus far, 19 May 2014
A. Higgott "Andrew" (UK) - See all my reviews
Had three different 4TB ext drives over the last year and had various problems with all but this one. This one has so far been the fastest and no issues when approaching full capacity like other makes.