5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and cool
A large drive at a good price which is actually very fast, with sustained large file writes peaking at around 160 MB/sec - blazingly fast for an external drive. Some other 3TB drives I've seen at a similar price (less than 10 cheaper) could barely reach 40MB/sec on similar transfers, which is pathetic.

Even after an extended write session of many hours, the...
Published 12 months ago by G. Forsdick

Very competent drive all-round. Large file transfers are blazingly quick (peak approaching 180Mb/sec), though it falls behind with small files compared to the best internal drives but that is of course expected..and its nit-picking too. The performance is stellar for the price.

Published 5 months ago by jam

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and cool, 8 Aug 2013
G. Forsdick - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung 3TB D3 Station External Desktop Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)

Even after an extended write session of many hours, the case was warm rather than getting hot, and remained quiet throughout.

Only owned this drive for a couple of weeks, but so far operation has been flawless.
Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest 3tb external with the best warranty and very decent performance, 20 Mar 2014

It's not all song and dance though. usb3 is, at least in my experience with this drive and both an AMD and an Intel-based pc, somewhat flaky. Sometimes the drive would disappear from windows and i would have to pull the usb cable out of the back of the drive to pick it up again. Also, my drive tended to sleep too often for my liking with no way to change that. frustrating if you frequently access the drive as you have to wait for it to spin up before you can use it. I didn't think that would bother me at first but it really started to grate after a while: I had a steam library on there and there's nothing worse than having a game lock up whilst you are waiting for the drive to wake up.

Another problem and somewhat worrying, an hour in to an over-due defrag, the drive hit a reported 56c which is right on the limit of the drives operating range. Not good for lifespan at all - mechanical drives do not hold up well to sustained high temperatures.I didnt like the sound of that at all so i whipped the drive out of the enclosure and it really was worryingly warn to touch and this was about 20 minutes after i unplugged it. I put the bare drive in my microserver instead. Now the drive is well within its normal operating range. only downside? no warranty, but it was a calculated risk.

would i buy another? As great as the performance/space/price combo is...no, not unless Samsung start using actively-cooled enclosures for these drives.

To address some other points made about this drive in other reviews:
- If your transfer speeds are poor, your usb3 drivers are probably to blame. That, or your drive is defective. Get it replaced.
- the usb3 socket on the drive enclosure IS a standard one, it's microusb 3.0. Leads are readily available so at least it's easily replaceable if lost or damaged. The socked are a bit fragile though, be gentle with them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with a Mac, but a little noisy, 6 Sep 2013
Hawfinch - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've had the 3TB Samsung for a month, and I'm finding it a very speedy & reliable drive for use with my MacBook. I use it primarily for Time Machine and for storage of large media files, including HD video, which I can play back from the drive without lag or stutter - even while a Time Machine backup is going on in a separate partition on the same drive.

The only negative point is that it does have a slightly annoying spinup whine compared to other drives I've used, as well as an audible tapping noise when accessing. I don't believe it's faulty. These sound like the typical noises that a hard drive makes, just a bit louder than I've previously encountered. It's virtually silent when running without accessing.

I scanned it for bad blocks as soon as I received it (none found).

If you're planning to use it with an Intel Mac for Time Machine backups or as a startup disc, remember to change the partition scheme to GUID, as recommended by Apple, before you do anything else. You can do this in Disk Utility.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Seagate., 14 Aug 2014
RA (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as it was a good price for a 2Tb drive and I wanted another of this size to put in my NAS.

Obviously I thought it might be a Samsung drive but it isn't - it's a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001. I found out that Seagate acquired Samsung Hard Drives several years ago. But it doesn't really matter.

You will pay about 60 for the drive alone and that only comes with a year warranty. This one comes with three. Which is a bonus.

Specs are below and there are good dismantling instructions here if you are interested.
perplexer.i n f o/samsung_d3/samsung_d3.html removing the spaces if Amazon haven't wiped the link already...

Of course I shall be leaving the drive in the bay for now for the warranty and the box in the loft :)

The actual drive is fitted with some nice thick rubber mounts for vibration and shock isolation though and there is good venting at the bottom without allowing too much noise to come out. A compromise really as if you want cool you need vents and fans, and that equals noise.

The power for the unit is supplied by a wall adapter (think mobile phone charger) rather than a power brick and has the option for different plug configurations depending on where you are in the world or where you plan to be. Input ranges from 100v to 240v.

Comes with a 30" USB3 lead as well.

I can't comment on the speed, the heat or the noise etc but the enclosure sure looks nice. Overall a nice product presented well but like anything electromechanical - time will tell.

Model Number ST2000DM001
Interface SATA 6Gb/s maximises data transfer rates
Cache 64MB
Capacity 2TB
Spin Speed 7200 RPM
Average Data Rate, Read/Write (MB/s) 156
Seagate OptiCache technology improves performance by up to 45%
Seagate AcuTrac technology enables reliable read/write performance even in high touch operating environments
Seagate SmartAlign technology for no-hassle transition to Advanced Format 4K sector technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily setup and operating, 9 Dec 2013
Working in electronic retail, I was never a huge Samsung fan until their LED tv's came out, and then their computer optical drives/storage media. Ever since then, I have tried my best to use Samsung as often as possible. This device is very simple to use, easily setup and does what it is promised. The formatting is quite simple with the software, which initially had some glitches starting up, I blame my computer or my eagerness to get it working.

The best part of this though, is the option to set up a lockable partition. Easily done, very much so. Nothing complicated, and to be honest, very user friendly. Thanks Samsung for another great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Drive for use with Smart TV, 17 Oct 2013
R. S. Walker - See all my reviews
I purchased this to use as storage for a Samsung smart TV. It seemed reasonably priced and the TV accepted the addition with no problem. The only possible downside is that it does have a separate power supply, which is supplied, and is not powered from the USB interface

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 3TB D3 Station External Drive, 17 Feb 2014
I do hope Amazon review this message.

When I researched the 3TB D3 Station via the Amazon customer reviews it was highly rated but as I now realise they have mixed a lot of reviews of different drives and this gives it a false rating.

I have two of these drives both seemed to initially be fine but all of a sudden one decided to re-arrange my Bios settings then kept on not being recognised saying the driver did not install properly I have plugged it into several USB slots all with the same problem.

The other drive is installed on a different system and only connected via USB2 and where I managed to do 1 windows backup to it, it now does not do any more and says there is an I/O error. I have used a third party software to backup my drives but this is terrible from such a trusted brand.

I thought I would run the Seagate Tool for Windows to check for any problems but that software does not work. Interesting how the diagnostic software does not work.

So I thought I would run the Samsung Drive Manager software that came pre-loaded on the drive. Installed that and yes you guessed it that does not work either. So I uninstalled it.

I am now left with 1 backup drive that I have to run third party software on to back up as windows backup hates the drive and the other is unusable as it won't install the drivers properly and then makes the system fall over.

I am very disappointed with both Samsung and Seagate for these issues and I am not the only one if you search for them there are plenty of dissatisfied customers. But I am also annoyed at amazon for mixing reviews and giving a false product rating.

I will hope that something gets done but I am not holding my breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast as..., 17 Aug 2014
Unless you go to SSD you will struggle to find a faster external drive - IF your PC can keep up with it! Testing this copying large files (>60GB) on a Macbook from the internal SSD to this drive I saw data transfer rates of around 190MB/sec. That's writing data speeds that are as fast as any drive I've ever seen. Obviously things slow down when you start doing random reads but this drive is still an exceptionally quick piece of kit.
Things to note:
1. It's mains-powered so NOT really a great portable drive. also it's bigg-ish because it's a 5.25 drive inside. But 4TB so, yeah.
2. It comes with a cut-down but FREE version of the NTFS driver for Mac which just works with Samsung and Seagate drives. But it's light, fast and effective so making it easier for Mac users to share these drives with your poor Windows brethren.
If your PC isn't USB3 then this is still an amazingly cheap 4TB drive but you won't get those headline speeds and you won't get them either copying from slower drives. but as an external drive to complement say an Ultrabook with limited internal SSD then it's a great match.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Responding (2TB Desktop D3 Station), 7 Nov 2013
I brought this product because of the brand, price and seemingly good reviews.

Unfortunately, like the other 1 star reviews I have received a faulty D3 station. The device does not work on any computers, it 'lights up' and then does absolutely nothing. It shows up in device manager (uninstalling and re-installing doesn't work) but does not show in disk management for me to access it in any way.

I have two other external HDDs, this is the first one to fail on me. I think I'll be sticking to WD as my backup device in future.

I've started the refund process, I hope Amazon will refund me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great and does it's job very well., 13 Aug 2014
I bought this for my XBMC media player for my raspberry Pi. It was one of the cheapest external HDD's out there and i was a little worried as i usually avoid seagate HDDs (seagate supplies the samsung hdds). But it's an excellent hard-drive with usb 3.0 as a bonus. The best thing is it still looks great sitting in my entertainment unit.