4.2 out of 5 stars1,146
Size: 2 TB|Change

on 8 August 2013
A large drive at a good price which is actually very fast, with sustained large file writes peaking at around 160 MB/sec - blazingly fast for an external drive. Some other 3TB drives I've seen at a similar price (less than £10 cheaper) could barely reach 40MB/sec on similar transfers, which is pathetic.

Even after an extended write session of many hours, the case was warm rather than getting hot, and remained quiet throughout.

Only owned this drive for a couple of weeks, but so far operation has been flawless.
Highly recommended.
66 comments|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2015
This drive will work as a plug & play device with windows XP & 7 so as soon as you get it I would forget all the software it comes with, in fact, start by right click --> format --> Quick format; especially if you are buying this drive to backup your precious PC files, the last thing you want is something non standard in the equation! Like all 3.5" drives it is big and bulky and heavy so if this for portable use, buy a 2.5" drive such as the Western Digital My Passport or the Tosh / Samsung versions.
It is fast but you will need to plug it into a USB 3 port on your PC to get the advantage, it still works on a normal USB 2 port but at USB 2 speed which for a 4TB drive is S....L...O...W! On a top of the range Quad Core, i7 etc, filling it up with 5000 films, USB 3, takes about 18 hours which is pretty fast.
As with all 3.5" high performance drives, it consumes more power than a USB port can provide consequently requires the external power supply it comes with. Somewhat annoyingly (and dangerous) which drives me mad with most products nowadays, the supplied PSU says Honor Electronics and NOT Samsung 3.5" external drive, so if you are like me and have a house full of gadgets and external PSUs and don't want to set your house on fire when you get them all confused, you will need a label as soon as it comes out of the box! However, the supplied PSU does in fact run Toshiba Canvio and other external drives but not the other way around so this is good.
I have read some of the other write ups regarding loss of data and unreliability... As with ALL buffered, semi-intelligent drives, it is critical than when you have finished writing to it, you must find the little USB symbol (with the green tick in a circle) on the bottom right of the taskbar, right click-->Eject ..... prior to unplugging! This action not only writes the last bit of data, it parks the head and powers the drive down in a controlled manner over a period of about 10 seconds and could make a huge difference to reliability. If you don't, as with all this type of equipment it becomes an 'unplug & pray' device!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 September 2013
I've had the 3TB Samsung for a month, and I'm finding it a very speedy & reliable drive for use with my MacBook. I use it primarily for Time Machine and for storage of large media files, including HD video, which I can play back from the drive without lag or stutter - even while a Time Machine backup is going on in a separate partition on the same drive.

The only negative point is that it does have a slightly annoying spinup whine compared to other drives I've used, as well as an audible tapping noise when accessing. I don't believe it's faulty. These sound like the typical noises that a hard drive makes, just a bit louder than I've previously encountered. It's virtually silent when running without accessing.

I scanned it for bad blocks as soon as I received it (none found).

If you're planning to use it with an Intel Mac for Time Machine backups or as a startup disc, remember to change the partition scheme to GUID, as recommended by Apple, before you do anything else. You can do this in Disk Utility.
55 comments|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2014
...then gave up the ghost. Simply won't mount. For a few months, it would drop a connection (despite being plugged in!) So I bought a new USB3.0 cable, which seemed to solve the problem for a few weeks. Then one day it suddenly would not mount at all. Tried it a few times each day, then it mounted!!! Then it unmounted, just as I was trying to salvage stuff from it.

Really, really annoying. I have about 8 of the 1TB versions and they're REALLY GOOD. I wish I'd bought 3 of those instead of this. Amazon are sending me a replacement, but based on the rest of the customer complaints on here (my problem was with the 3TB model, which is mains powered) I have no confidence in the unit and shan't be trusting it for anything.
on 22 December 2014
This 3TB USB 3.0 external HDD is perfect for expanding the storage space available in the Xbox One.
After unboxing and simple assembly (requires a PSU [included] which is constantly plugged into the mains due to the drive size) the HDD was ready to go. There is a very well designed multi plug included which will let you use this device in most countries power sockets.
The product features a premium looking plaid finish and is one of the most robust feeling externals I've ever used. (It feels like it could take a few bumps)
Upon plugging this hard drive in to any of the Xbox One's 3 USB ports, the console will automatically recognise it and will ask you to format the drive at the click of a button (clears data & prepares the drive for the Xbox - this will mean it works exlusively with your console but you can reformat it at any time to use with another device)
After formatting is complete you are presented with 2.7TB of free space on your Xbox One to store anything from game installs, saves, demos, music & movies which you can take anywhere and use on any Xbox.

When reading or writing a heavy load the drive produces a slight rumble (as expected due to vertical design), I must add this is only noticeable when rested on a hard wooden surface so far and doesnt detract from the product.

The actual HDD inside the Samsung casing (which cannot be opened without breaking) is a Seagate Barracuda 7200 64MB (so a good speed for a 3TB HDD [Xbox One has a 5400RPM by default])

Not only is this drive perfect for the Xbox One but it will also work (seperately due to formatting) as an extra storage device for your PC or Laptop & can also be used with a Samsung Smart TV to record TV shows like a PVR.

Overall a very worthwhile purchase.
on 17 October 2013
I purchased this to use as storage for a Samsung smart TV. It seemed reasonably priced and the TV accepted the addition with no problem. The only possible downside is that it does have a separate power supply, which is supplied, and is not powered from the USB interface
33 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2013
I brought this product because of the brand, price and seemingly good reviews.

Unfortunately, like the other 1 star reviews I have received a faulty D3 station. The device does not work on any computers, it 'lights up' and then does absolutely nothing. It shows up in device manager (uninstalling and re-installing doesn't work) but does not show in disk management for me to access it in any way.

I have two other external HDDs, this is the first one to fail on me. I think I'll be sticking to WD as my backup device in future.

I've started the refund process, I hope Amazon will refund me.
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2014
Bought this at what I thought was a good price, but since it only worked intermittently & nearly caused me to loose all my data I'd have been better off paying more & getting something more reliable.
on 25 September 2014
I used this once, as soon as I got it, to back up 1.5TB and then boxed it back up and put it on the shelf. I went to use it six weeks later and it was dead as a door nail. No lights, no noise, no spinning. I would not recommend this drive. It is actually a Seagate product and I am very grateful to Amazon for allowing me to return it as the Seagate RMA is a complete nightmare.
+10 to Amazon.
on 17 February 2014
I do hope Amazon review this message.

When I researched the 3TB D3 Station via the Amazon customer reviews it was highly rated but as I now realise they have mixed a lot of reviews of different drives and this gives it a false rating.

I have two of these drives both seemed to initially be fine but all of a sudden one decided to re-arrange my Bios settings then kept on not being recognised saying the driver did not install properly I have plugged it into several USB slots all with the same problem.

The other drive is installed on a different system and only connected via USB2 and where I managed to do 1 windows backup to it, it now does not do any more and says there is an I/O error. I have used a third party software to backup my drives but this is terrible from such a trusted brand.

I thought I would run the Seagate Tool for Windows to check for any problems but that software does not work. Interesting how the diagnostic software does not work.

So I thought I would run the Samsung Drive Manager software that came pre-loaded on the drive. Installed that and yes you guessed it that does not work either. So I uninstalled it.

I am now left with 1 backup drive that I have to run third party software on to back up as windows backup hates the drive and the other is unusable as it won't install the drivers properly and then makes the system fall over.

I am very disappointed with both Samsung and Seagate for these issues and I am not the only one if you search for them there are plenty of dissatisfied customers. But I am also annoyed at amazon for mixing reviews and giving a false product rating.

I will hope that something gets done but I am not holding my breath.
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse