5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and cool
A large drive at a good price which is actually very fast, with sustained large file writes peaking at around 160 MB/sec - blazingly fast for an external drive. Some other 3TB drives I've seen at a similar price (less than £10 cheaper) could barely reach 40MB/sec on similar transfers, which is pathetic.

Even after an extended write session of many hours, the...
Published 19 months ago by G. Forsdick

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead after 6 weeks
Published 5 months ago by Beangoose

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and cool, 8 Aug. 2013
G. Forsdick - See all my reviews

Even after an extended write session of many hours, the case was warm rather than getting hot, and remained quiet throughout.

Only owned this drive for a couple of weeks, but so far operation has been flawless.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Usage tips and comments on potential issues, 17 Jan. 2015
This drive will work as a plug & play device with windows XP & 7 so as soon as you get it I would forget all the software it comes with, in fact, start by right click --> format --> Quick format; especially if you are buying this drive to backup your precious PC files, the last thing you want is something non standard in the equation! Like all 3.5" drives it is big and bulky and heavy so if this for portable use, buy a 2.5" drive such as the Western Digital My Passport or the Tosh / Samsung versions.
It is fast but you will need to plug it into a USB 3 port on your PC to get the advantage, it still works on a normal USB 2 port but at USB 2 speed which for a 4TB drive is S....L...O...W! On a top of the range Quad Core, i7 etc, filling it up with 5000 films, USB 3, takes about 18 hours which is pretty fast.
As with all 3.5" high performance drives, it consumes more power than a USB port can provide consequently requires the external power supply it comes with. Somewhat annoyingly (and dangerous) which drives me mad with most products nowadays, the supplied PSU says Honor Electronics and NOT Samsung 3.5" external drive, so if you are like me and have a house full of gadgets and external PSUs and don't want to set your house on fire when you get them all confused, you will need a label as soon as it comes out of the box! However, the supplied PSU does in fact run Toshiba Canvio and other external drives but not the other way around so this is good.
I have read some of the other write ups regarding loss of data and unreliability... As with ALL buffered, semi-intelligent drives, it is critical than when you have finished writing to it, you must find the little USB symbol (with the green tick in a circle) on the bottom right of the taskbar, right click-->Eject ..... prior to unplugging! This action not only writes the last bit of data, it parks the head and powers the drive down in a controlled manner over a period of about 10 seconds and could make a huge difference to reliability. If you don't, as with all this type of equipment it becomes an 'unplug & pray' device!

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox One's best friend, 22 Dec. 2014
This 3TB USB 3.0 external HDD is perfect for expanding the storage space available in the Xbox One.
After unboxing and simple assembly (requires a PSU [included] which is constantly plugged into the mains due to the drive size) the HDD was ready to go. There is a very well designed multi plug included which will let you use this device in most countries power sockets.
The product features a premium looking plaid finish and is one of the most robust feeling externals I've ever used. (It feels like it could take a few bumps)
Upon plugging this hard drive in to any of the Xbox One's 3 USB ports, the console will automatically recognise it and will ask you to format the drive at the click of a button (clears data & prepares the drive for the Xbox - this will mean it works exlusively with your console but you can reformat it at any time to use with another device)
After formatting is complete you are presented with 2.7TB of free space on your Xbox One to store anything from game installs, saves, demos, music & movies which you can take anywhere and use on any Xbox.

When reading or writing a heavy load the drive produces a slight rumble (as expected due to vertical design), I must add this is only noticeable when rested on a hard wooden surface so far and doesnt detract from the product.

The actual HDD inside the Samsung casing (which cannot be opened without breaking) is a Seagate Barracuda 7200 64MB (so a good speed for a 3TB HDD [Xbox One has a 5400RPM by default])

Not only is this drive perfect for the Xbox One but it will also work (seperately due to formatting) as an extra storage device for your PC or Laptop & can also be used with a Samsung Smart TV to record TV shows like a PVR.

Overall a very worthwhile purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Drive for use with Smart TV, 17 Oct. 2013
R. S. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung 2TB D3 Station External Desktop Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
I purchased this to use as storage for a Samsung smart TV. It seemed reasonably priced and the TV accepted the addition with no problem. The only possible downside is that it does have a separate power supply, which is supplied, and is not powered from the USB interface

4.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with a Mac, but a little noisy, 6 Sept. 2013
Hawfinch - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've had the 3TB Samsung for a month, and I'm finding it a very speedy & reliable drive for use with my MacBook. I use it primarily for Time Machine and for storage of large media files, including HD video, which I can play back from the drive without lag or stutter - even while a Time Machine backup is going on in a separate partition on the same drive.

The only negative point is that it does have a slightly annoying spinup whine compared to other drives I've used, as well as an audible tapping noise when accessing. I don't believe it's faulty. These sound like the typical noises that a hard drive makes, just a bit louder than I've previously encountered. It's virtually silent when running without accessing.

I scanned it for bad blocks as soon as I received it (none found).

If you're planning to use it with an Intel Mac for Time Machine backups or as a startup disc, remember to change the partition scheme to GUID, as recommended by Apple, before you do anything else. You can do this in Disk Utility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, robust and simple to use., 30 July 2014
Installation on Windows 7 x64 and x86 and Windows Vista x86 was a breeze, with no glitches. So using this item across my workstation and two laptops is simplicity itself. Quiet, lots of storage space, low heat production and attractive, although the snooze mode can cause a comparatively lengthy pause while the drive spins up and allows access. I have no real complaints about this unit and I have two sitting on my desk and will be purchasing another later this summer. The data transfer speed is acceptable, as is search access and general use, although the spin down mode kicks in fairly early it does reduce power consumption and heat generation, which is a bonus. The power supply unit seems to be pretty robust although the power to unit cable is thin and probably fragile so won't survive constant abuse without cracking.

While the price is market average, the quality is excellent with a strong plastic casing, well situated ports for USB and power and a slimline upright profile reducing it's desktop footprint. As a result of it's spin down "snooze" function, this drive produces considerably less heat than other similar drives I've had from other manufacturers - so presumably has an extended life-span compared to those alternatives.

I can't comment about delivery as I have paid for prime and this arrived next day as promised, the packaging was robust and survived postal abuse with no damage to the drive packaging. So no complaints there either. Plus it was easy to get into the boxes and remove the drive with pack to set-up time being a matter of a minute or two.

This thing has been sitting on my desk in daily use since purchase and aside from the fairly bright four dot light on the front of the case (which flickers when the drive is in use) it's quiet enough to forget it's there.

In general I'm very pleased with this unit, and have had zero issues using the two I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily setup and operating, 9 Dec. 2013
Working in electronic retail, I was never a huge Samsung fan until their LED tv's came out, and then their computer optical drives/storage media. Ever since then, I have tried my best to use Samsung as often as possible. This device is very simple to use, easily setup and does what it is promised. The formatting is quite simple with the software, which initially had some glitches starting up, I blame my computer or my eagerness to get it working.

The best part of this though, is the option to set up a lockable partition. Easily done, very much so. Nothing complicated, and to be honest, very user friendly. Thanks Samsung for another great product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead after 6 weeks, 25 Sept. 2014
I used this once, as soon as I got it, to back up 1.5TB and then boxed it back up and put it on the shelf. I went to use it six weeks later and it was dead as a door nail. No lights, no noise, no spinning. I would not recommend this drive. It is actually a Seagate product and I am very grateful to Amazon for allowing me to return it as the Seagate RMA is a complete nightmare.
+10 to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 3TB D3 Station External Drive, 17 Feb. 2014
I do hope Amazon review this message.

When I researched the 3TB D3 Station via the Amazon customer reviews it was highly rated but as I now realise they have mixed a lot of reviews of different drives and this gives it a false rating.

I have two of these drives both seemed to initially be fine but all of a sudden one decided to re-arrange my Bios settings then kept on not being recognised saying the driver did not install properly I have plugged it into several USB slots all with the same problem.

The other drive is installed on a different system and only connected via USB2 and where I managed to do 1 windows backup to it, it now does not do any more and says there is an I/O error. I have used a third party software to backup my drives but this is terrible from such a trusted brand.

I thought I would run the Seagate Tool for Windows to check for any problems but that software does not work. Interesting how the diagnostic software does not work.

So I thought I would run the Samsung Drive Manager software that came pre-loaded on the drive. Installed that and yes you guessed it that does not work either. So I uninstalled it.

I am now left with 1 backup drive that I have to run third party software on to back up as windows backup hates the drive and the other is unusable as it won't install the drivers properly and then makes the system fall over.

I am very disappointed with both Samsung and Seagate for these issues and I am not the only one if you search for them there are plenty of dissatisfied customers. But I am also annoyed at amazon for mixing reviews and giving a false product rating.

I will hope that something gets done but I am not holding my breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for additional storage for your xbox one, 3 Feb. 2015
This is a very reasonably priced hard drive which I had bought to use with my Xbox one as I had ten out of memory. it was well packaged and does exactly what it says on the tin.

The design actually complements my set up as it has the distinct white light against a black background.

The hard drive itself is as fast as my Xbox one storage and doesn't seem to impede performance in any way suggesting that it can handle the daily strain of a gamer in need