5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Disk
Item Exactly as selected and in sealed new bag, packing was excellent
Bravo
Published 8 months ago by tissot-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Gurgles and runs hot
Bought this drive to replace a 3 year old laptop drive that was getting noisy and hot.

Installation etc. reasonably OK but note that the free cloning software on WD site only works if your old drive is also a WD drive. Also appears to run as expected in terms of speed.

However this drive occasionally and unexpectedly "gurgles" and...
Published 1 month ago by David F

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Disk, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: WD 1TB 2.5 inch SATA Internal Hard Drive - Blue (Personal Computers)
Great Drive
Quiet and very fast installed easily on my laptop
Item Exactly as selected and in sealed new bag, packing was excellent
Bravo

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine disk, 23 Sep 2013
This is an excellent hard drive and very good value for money. I installed it in a MacBook. It works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied, 22 Sep 2013
was very easy and quick to install. It has worked fine ever since. And there has been no problems with it to date (had it nearly a month weeks so far). In a word ..........its doing the job I wanted it do to :0 )

4.0 out of 5 stars Replaced faulty drive reasonably easily., 3 Feb 2014
The WD 500Gb drive on my Compaq laptop developed a fault and needed to be replaced. I took the plunge and decided to replace the drive. After some research on-line I selected this WD SATA 1TB. The main challenge was getting the laptop opened!, after that it was relatively painless, the old faulty hard drive was held in place by six screws, the new hard drive fitted perfectly, with the data and power connectors snapping into place easily. The new 1TB drive then needed to be formatted and windows installed, as if you had a new laptop. You will need your original windows CD or alternatively download from an OEM site with software codes/keys. When this was completed the drive powered up first time and I then recovered my data from my last backup.The new drive provides more space and is noticeably faster.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gurgles and runs hot, 19 July 2014

However this drive occasionally and unexpectedly "gurgles" and "rattles" (particularly when you do not expect the drive to be doing anything - like right now!) and runs hot (the wrist-rest above it feels warm) - which is not very reassuring.

Is the drive faulty? How to tell? I thought going into help (Win 7 on HP laptop) and looking under diagnostics (HP Support Assistant) for the SMART status of the drive would work. This reports "Good" - but also reports the disk size as 298.09GB - the size of the drive I replaced! So I don't trust the "Good". (Device Manager says "This device is working properly.") Do I want to send it back? Not really now it has all my personal and work data on it! looks like I will just have to risk it - it is after all "only" a "cheap" consumer drive.

May end up dramatically reducing this rating! Hope not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of this seller, 30 May 2014
N. Fitzpatrick "bubsy" (ireland) - See all my reviews
So here goes an unbelievable story. I purchased this on Amazon.co.uk assuming it comes from Europe, however this is an American company shipping from the US and if you dont read the small print you are out of pocket.They expect you to go through hell with customs, running up and down to the post office to find their product.Then you have to pay duty and VAT which adds up to 40%. Being american they weren't aware of customs when I contacted them telling me they never had to pay it, which is illegal. Now for AMAZON. They dont care and told me basically to deal with the seller and not to contact them again. I told them I spend a small fortune with them every year and that they have great customer service. Anyhow amazon won the battle and lost the war and now I dont buy from them anymore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reliable drive and so far so good..., 28 Mar 2014
J0n G (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I needed a bigger internal drive for my Lenovo laptop. The best way to upgrade to a bigger hard disk is to use cloning software. Acronis True Image can be downloaded from the Western Digital website and is free, but only works on Western Digital hard drives. Alternatively you can use Macrium Reflect free edition. Get a connecting lead (or caddy) to connect the new hard drive to a USB port on your laptop. Run the cloning software. It can take 8 hours, often less. Much more straightforward than using your factory reinstall disks and then restoring from a backup. I see other reviewers on Amazon have suggested that you'll need to run WD Align (from Western Digital) at the time of or after cloning. Well, I was cloning a Windows 7 Professional disk to my new WD disk and when I then ran the Align software it told me that the partitions were already aligned. Whatever that means. Anyway, it seemed to require no further work other than the cloning. I'd give it five stars if I'd had it a year without any problems but I'm a pessimist by nature, having already tried a Seagate drive which failed after six weeks.

A few weeks later: oh dear. The drive seems to have a fault of some kind. Occasionally the hard drive will freeze (no data can be read or written) and the drive then emits rhythmical clicking sounds. Research on the internet does not make it clear whether this is the "click of death" implying imminent drive failure, or a design problem involving the unit's power-saving features which requires a freeware utility (there are several) to be used to switch off HD power-saving. I keep testing the drive with the utilities I have, and no fault is found. If I send the unit back, maybe WD will find no fault. I wonder how common this problem is. I have now obtained another drive - same one - to see if it has the clicking problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Running cool and fast., 7 Mar 2014
I do like WD drives Green(3.5) and Blue(2.5) .I have had no failed WD throughout my years of computing at home. These new drives run cooler and with less power.I use mine in a WiFi portable drive case with it's own rechargeable battery inside. This enclosure has no cooling fan and the battery should last 6 hours. so this drive fits the requirements perfect., unless you are made of money and get a solid state drive..L ook up NAXTAV wifi enclosure it's .great bit of kit. I hold films on it to stream to devices like Ipad on the move or on holiday.

Well done WD 6 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Feb 2014
Very happy with purchase. Great price. Very easy to fit in my Toshiba laptop, replacing a poor quality hitachi disk that had shattered into pieces (no idea how!). No problems with install - laptop recognised it without any issues at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS4 hard drive upgrade, 21 Jan 2014
Bought this drive to upgrade the drive in the PS4. I would say it's faster that Sony's 500gb drive had no problems at all would recommend WD Blue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›