4.0 out of 5 stars "Dreams are where inventions sleep"
"The Quickening" presumably refers to the increased speed & spontaneity with which Kathryn Williams recorded the songs for her eighth album - in four days, live, with a maximum of three takes and without the musicians having heard the melodies before. It's also a match for her contemplative lyrics.

I know people get annoyed if you pay too much attention to the...
Published on 28 Feb 2010 by cathy earnshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars i was very disappointed with this cd
Published 9 months ago by Carlo

4.0 out of 5 stars "Dreams are where inventions sleep", 28 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Quickening (Audio CD)

I know people get annoyed if you pay too much attention to the lyrics, but hers are always reliably interesting; unlike so many female singer-songwriters or performers dominating the airwaves these days (who seem to overcompensate for a lack of authentic individuality with forced eccentricity), KW's feel natural and unpretentious. There are some great one-liners: "Watch you in my lunchtime / like a silent matinee show" or "The nerves down my arms hit like sparks". She loves similes!

The first track - 50 White Lines - is fantastic, with its jaunty rhythm and mechanical counting of the recorded voice. Winter is Sharp is also more quickly paced than the others (I never understood why Guardian journalists complain about her music being too one-paced and maudlin - it's not!). Kate St John, who was musical director for the phenomenal Nick Drake tribute concerts in January this year, produced the album with KW and plays accordion and hurdy gurdy. Neill MacColl, who was a session musician at the same shows and collaborated with KW on the last album, contributes banjo (which sounds great!), mandolin, and guitar playing.

The doll's house on the cover and the miniature figures which inhabit the pictures inside reflect a love of the small world, of detail & domesticity that you can hear in her music, too. The album hasn't quite managed to replace Little Black Numbers, Over Fly Over or Old Low Light in my affections yet, and there are two tracks which I couldn't warm to as much as the others (Little Lesson, Up North).

She's playing London's Purcell Room on 6 March and before that Manchester, Glasgow, and Newcastle.

Standouts (IMHO): 50 White Lines, Wanting and Waiting, Noble Guesses, Just Leave

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Album, 30 July 2010
This review is from: The Quickening (Audio CD)
This latest offering from Kathryn Williams is an absolute joy to listen to. I was blown away when I first heard it and it's now one of my favourites on my ipod. Most favourite tacks are the wonderful 50 White Lines, Just A Feeling, Wanting and Waiting and Little Lesson. Since buying this, I am now in the process of buying all Kathryn's other albums and I'm sure I won't be disappointed with any of them as she has such a beautiful voice and her songwriting abilities put her up with the "cream of the crop".

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best yet - and the others were good too!, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Quickening (Audio CD)
One of Britain's finest singer/songwriters, Kathryn Williams wholly deserves the airtime that this album has enjoyed on national radio in the weeks leading up to its official launch. If you are new to her music, please ignore the Folk-Rock tag that the official review classes her as; that is a misnoma and her music is much more than that. She writes wonderfully crafted songs about contemporary issues and sings them beautifully. If you are not new to her music, you will not be disappointed with this album. In my humble opinion, I regard her music as highly as Richard Hawley.

3.0 out of 5 stars i was very disappointed with this cd, 8 Nov 2013
Carlo "money sense" (peterborough, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Quickening (Audio CD)
I love her voice and style of music on the cover version Cd's that I have listened to. But this album of her own original material left me feeling disappointed. It lacks depth ( I would go as far as to say that the lyrics are shallow and uninteresting) and her musical playing style sounds uninspiring (not as good) when applied to her own songs. Sadly for me this album reveals the limitations of her ability as a singer song writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 day marvel, 31 May 2012
This review is from: The Quickening (Audio CD)
considering it only took 4 days to get a group of musicians to write the whole album,this for me is probably kathryn williams
most accessible and best album.there are no fillers on this album and each song from the kick off,is crafted to roll into each other from the pulsing 50 white lines,like a feeling, to my favourite just leave and the jazz piano tinged there are keys
Anybody who likes neil young ,suzanne vega,mark kozelek should grab this collection of songs,it hints at americana accoustic,but has kathryn williams crafted musical talent stamped through each song,the best album of 2010,give it a listen.

3.0 out of 5 stars kathryn williams, 27 Mar 2010
Mrs. Yvonne J. Overell "tiggersuki" (ilfracombe,devon,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Quickening (Audio CD)
some excellent tracks like White Lines and a few more mediocre ones but worth buying....a good listen

The Quickening