Most helpful critical review
7 of 12 people found the following review helpful
The Good, The Bad and The So So
on 21 June 2013
With all the offers in the market, there is still room for the good old retro games that make alot of kids dream back in the 90's. Even though you may be a fan of Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, if you are a real gamer, there is a little space in your heart reserved for the Genesis diamonds. Countless hours that you spent in your childhood playing games such as Sonic, Golden Axe or Shinobi can now be remembered with this amazing finding!
However, there are a few cons about this distinctive handheld that maybe relevent to the most hardcore gamers, but first things first:
- Remebering games such as Sonic (even Knuckles!), Shinobi or Streets or Rage is always heart fullfilling, taking us back to the endless summers playing with friends;
- Finally something to play old retro Genesis games other than the real console (Genesis or Mega Drive) or a PC, anytime anywhere;
- TV connectivity is a must. It's like having the real console;
- The possibility of using ROM's from other games!! This must be the top argument to choose this device!!It's amazing what a small 2-4 Gb SD card can take in it!! You can put all the ROM's in one SD card!
- The weight of the device. This device is extremely light, something that could make us think that there's something missing... but very confortable to handle, to carry and for spending hours playing without your hands and arms become numb;
- The play experience. The buttons and the screen are very well adjusted and the experience is quite good;
- The software. Very fast, very basic, you wouldn't expect more of a system that runs 16 bit retro games. Even so, for the purpose, it's very good;
- The screen. It is amazing that a screen that small (2.8") can still give you a very good visual gaming experience, altough some games (like the Strike Trilogy - Desert Strike, Jungles Strike and Urban Strike) may be dificult to play because of the small details visible only in larger screens. Put that aside and you have very good visuals;
- The battery. No need for AAA bateries, this one is rechargable and can hold up to 5 hours straight (i tested but it may vary). Remember, this is a basic device.
- The cables. This unit i bought didn't come with any cables (either the micro USB for charging or the AV cable). The first it's very common nowadays, but the AV Cable may be hard to find. But something worth to look for...
- The games that come with the device. With a pretty solid library of games, it is desappointing some of the games that come with the device. It's something that can be worked out with the downloading of other ROM's, but either way, the collection could be better;
- The sound. Akwardly slow... for every game. Something to do with the software maybe. It is desappointing that every game (no matter what) as its sound altered, even when plugged on the TV. Some may not care, but i believe that most will be felling that's something that can ruin the experience. And the output of the device its terrible when on its max;
- The ROM's. Only .bin (.smd are listed but don't work) and some of them don't work at all. Others work only with the device plugged to the TV (something that i don't understand). Either way, you may find yourself wasting alot of hours looking for the ones that work. But it's worth the time!!
- The TV experience. This is something that may not be fair to evalute. It's a 16 bit device with basic software. It's not a PS3 or a Xbox 360 (for those who tryed the Sega Collection). But while the hours go by, you will realize that you are playing old retro games in a small device, other than a PC or a console. For what its worth, i think it's amazing!
For me, as a hardcore gamer with years spent in gamming, it's an amazing device that takes me back to my childhood. I had a Genesis and the gaming experience it quite the same (apart of the those topics mentioned earlier). It's fun, it's cheap (considering the amout of games you can put in an SD Card) and it is worth the investment. A good device to take you back to th old days when they could make great games it only 16 bit.